Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small world is bugging me.

It might be just me but the paint job on its a small world is kind of boring. The white and gold is old news. I'd prefer a colorful facade or even since it's the diamond celebration I think they could have easily done something with that huge entrance, maybe include twinkling diamond lights on the garden animals in front.. Or something! Anybody else agree?

Re: Small world is bugging me.

I think that there is something timeless about the color scheme of the attraction. I am glad that they didn't do anything too over the top for the 60th.

It's been a while since I've actually been on it, but I thought that the garden animals already had lights in them that twinkled?

Comment

I know it was originally intended to be very colorful, but the maintenance guys at Disneyland told imagineer Rolly Crump that those bright colors would fade in the California sun, and would need to be repainted every year (which would be very expensive and time consuming on something as intricately detailed as the Small World Facade).

Rolly eventually chose to use mostly white and blue paint, accented by gold leaf (which wouldn't need repainting). The white paint also has the hidden benefit of making the facade the perfect backdrop for all sorts of lighting and projection effects at night, making it one of my favorite places to be in the park after the sun goes down.

Comment

How about red with white trim like Pee Wee Herman's house?

Click image for larger version

Name:	120189869.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	7360386
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MikeChat; 06-01-2015, 04:02 PM.
        When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Comment

Quick google search for "small world facade" yeilds this image of TDL's SW:

Click image for larger version

Name:	500px-SmallWorldTokyoFacade.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	7360409
          I think it looks good, but hey I liked WDW's '96 castle cake.

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

Not a huge fan of the muted pastel like that.

White and gold is very regal and bright and clean.

Comment

Yeah, I always wished for more vibrancy, now would be a good opportunity. (HINT HINT DISNEY!) It would catch the eye of some people who usually ignore it. It looks plain and boring with the pastel colors, (WHICH ISN'T DISNEY WHATSOEVER!)

Comment

I prefer the white and gold as well. And since they've refurbed it for the 60th, it is especially beautiful. So clean and, as someone mentioned, regal. It's a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cjedwards44 View Post
                  It might be just me but the paint job on its a small world is kind of boring. The white and gold is old news. I'd prefer a colorful facade or even since it's the diamond celebration I think they could have easily done something with that huge entrance, maybe include twinkling diamond lights on the garden animals in front.. Or something! Anybody else agree?
                  Actually, for the 60th, adding a little bit of darker blue trim on some of the facade (back from back in the 1970's) and a little bling might have been nice for Small World. Really the current color is great, especailly for the projection they use it for.

If you really don't like Small World in that palette, what I wonder what you think about Tomorrowland from the late 60[s to the 90's.
                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

I like the white and gold, but I Think some simple touches for the 60th would have been cool to see

Comment

I think the outside is fine but the inside could use some help. Wish they had spent more time refurbishing and touching up to original cast before adding in all the IP characters. Now there is to many variations in the style of the characters from papermashet (sp?) to foam to the newer plastic looking dolls. It's very distracting.

Comment

Yeah, in preparation for the 60th anniversary, it's a small world facade was repainted and refurbished with cleaned brighter gold leafs and repainted colors back in April 2015. The facade looks much cleaner and newer than before and I love it.

Did you guys notice that also the Hourglass on the clock tower had been replaced with a brighter newer one compare to the old muddy dark one that has no sand inside?

Also there is real sand inside the large hourglass, when ever the clock parade starts, the hourglass turns over and the sand counts the time for the parade!

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                        Save
                        Sav

Comment

White and gold go with everything. And the southward-facing facade catches sun all day and gives a "shining city on a hill" impression from a distance.
                          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

WHITE and GOLD.........Clean and Shining......specialty in the the Sun light!
                            Glad Disney went back to those color's...smart move
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                              White and gold go with everything. And the southward-facing facade catches sun all day and gives a "shining city on a hill" impression from a distance.
                              Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                              WHITE and GOLD.........Clean and Shining......specialty in the the Sun light!
                              Glad Disney went back to those color's...smart move
                              Both good points! With the outside looking great, now if Disney's marketeering management would just get rid of the "Find the Disney Brand Characters" inside the ride, and return it to its original purpose of the children of all nations celebrating world peace and unity.

C'mon, Bob. Turning a world-famous homage to UNICEF into a "Where's Waldo" promotion of Disney branded characters isn't very classy.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Both good points! With the outside looking great, now if Disney's marketeering management would just get rid of the "Find the Disney Brand Characters" inside the ride, and return it to its original purpose of the children of all nations celebrating world peace and unity.

C'mon, Bob. Turning a world-famous homage to UNICEF into a "Where's Waldo" promotion of Disney branded characters isn't very classy.
                                I, sure for that.......I have never understand why ? for the ,promotion of Disney branded characters ,was put in there.....
                                and to me
                                Make the Attraction, out of place !
                                YES.....Let the place be a homage to UNICEF ,as it was during the 1964-65 World Fair..............
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Well I actually like the white and gold

Comment

I actually grew up with Small World being colored, and I didn't know why, but it looked a little weird to me. When it went to white and gold, it looked so much better! But a little 60th decor would have been nice. And I actually don't mind the added characters, I think they're fun, but I understand why people wouldn't like it.

As for Rolly originally wanting it colored, I must be severely misinformed. I knew he designed the sculpture thing...I forget what it's called. But I thought Mary Blair designed the facade. I do remember in the TV special she was shown as testing the lighting with a model of the facade and the white/gold scheme made sense to me with the different color lights. Did they ever go through with that? I apologize for my lack of Small World knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantomwise View Post
                                      I actually grew up with Small World being colored, and I didn't know why, but it looked a little weird to me. When it went to white and gold, it looked so much better! But a little 60th decor would have been nice. And I actually don't mind the added characters, I think they're fun, but I understand why people wouldn't like it.
                                      Same, I only remember Small World being pastel, so to me the bright and gold scheme looks new and a lot nicer and more elegant. I also personally actually really enjoy the added characters, and I think it makes total sense to have characters in scenes that represent the country they are supposed to be from. I love the Aladdin & Jasmine flying carpets in the Middle East section, or Lilo and Stitch in the Hawaii section.
                                      Disneyland Cast Member
                                      Outdoor Vending
                                      1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Working...
                                      X