Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Old Disneyland Hotel Pictures

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Disneyland Hotel Pictures

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any personal pictures from the old Disneyland Hotel (especially around the early 90s)... the rooms, marina, underwater arcade, Monorail cafe and shops, etc. Thanks!

Re: Old Disneyland Hotel Pictures

I don't have any personal photos, but a great source for anything Disneyland Hotel related is the Magical Hotel blog. Tons of archived photos and rare goodies.

Comment

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
      I don't have any personal photos, but a great source for anything Disneyland Hotel related is the Magical Hotel blog. Tons of archived photos and rare goodies.
      Thanks, I have visited there, lots of great stuff!
      I've been trying to remember the rooms, shops/restaurants, and grounds at the time. There were some pictures of these, but mostly professional ones.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
        Thanks, I have visited there, lots of great stuff!
        I've been trying to remember the rooms, shops/restaurants, and grounds at the time. There were some pictures of these, but mostly professional ones.
        I searched google images and landed here: Flickriver: Photoset 'Vintage Disneyland - December 1988' by Castles, Capes & Clones

Some shots of the Disneyland Hotel from random people I don't know. lol!

Comment

Originally posted by DizMagic View Post
          I searched google images and landed here: Flickriver: Photoset 'Vintage Disneyland - December 1988' by Castles, Capes & Clones

Some shots of the Disneyland Hotel from random people I don't know. lol!
          That is one of the best collections of personal pictures around the old hotel I've seen. Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
            That is one of the best collections of personal pictures around the old hotel I've seen. Thank you!!
            I enjoyed them too! I love pictures from 80's-early 90's. I believe the park was in it's heyday during this time.

Comment

Originally posted by DizMagic View Post
              I enjoyed them too! I love pictures from 80's-early 90's. I believe the park was in it's heyday during this time.
              I agree!

Comment

The Old Disneyland hotel was far more entertaining and had much more in the way of attractions then all of Downtown Disney has today. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackness View Post
                  The Old Disneyland hotel was far more entertaining and had much more in the way of attractions then all of Downtown Disney has today. IMHO.

I couldn't agree more!! I remember the "good ol' days" beginning from the late 70's and all throughout the 80's. The charm and style it once had can never be compared to Downtown Disney today.
                  DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

One of the cool things about staying at the D-Land hotel now is that they have many items in the room that have vintage pics of the original footprint. Ie...the room service menu, hotel directory, coasters, stationary and postcards. Many of which you can take home as souvenirs!

Comment

There is a book Don Ballard made called "Disneyland The Early Years" - it has photos from groundbreaking and through the 80's and really good background and story. I personally like it more than others because there are so many photos of C.V. Wood in it - the guy who Disney Co calls "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"
                      Disneyland Hotel: The Early Years 1954-1988 [Donald W. Ballard] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Disneyland® Hotel: The Early Years 1954-1988 captures the amazing construction of this landmark resort and tells the story of how it became one of Southern California's premier destinations for family vacations. The book includes vintage photos

Comment

I though the Old Disneyland Hotel...was more entertaining,and more enjoyable ,than today - down town disney!
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Found this on Google (from trumblr). It's captioned "Hotel room at Disneyland - 1960s".

Comment

If anyone is interested, here's a collection of 9 old Disneyland Hotel photos that looks to be from the 50s:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanut...-65461987@N00/

Comment

Disneyland Hotel room 1978

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eclenn...-65461987@N00/

Comment

I remember once, many years ago, I was exploring the Disneyland Hotel and happened upon a section that had a definite Asian design aesthetic to it. Does anyone remember that or know what I'm talking about? If possible, could someone please post some photos of it? Thanks.
                                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                                  I remember once, many years ago, I was exploring the Disneyland Hotel and happened upon a section that had a definite Asian design aesthetic to it. Does anyone remember that or know what I'm talking about? If possible, could someone please post some photos of it? Thanks.
                                  That would have been Seaports of the Pacific on the Marina waterfront, an international bazaar with one-of-a-kind imports. It was a long building on a pier above the water, with architectural styles from different Pacific nations. It was on the south side of the Marina, running east-west, with the Horseshoe Falls near the east end and the Dancing Waters area on the west end.

From Don Ballard's The Original Disneyland Hotel blog:

For the summer season of 1980, the 25th Anniversary of the Disneyland Hotel, the Seaports of the Pacific shopping area was added to the marina. Under construction since February, it replaced what had been the artisans market. Ed Ettinger, the project's supervisor, explained, "What we've developed is a living theater consisting of those special environments associated with exotic ports of trade in the Pacific Basin." Side by side were an Indonesian pagoda blue tile roof, an Australian weathered tin roof, a Polynesian bamboo roof, and a Latin American red mission-tile roof...a wide variety of colors and textures. Staffed by authentic personnel, the Seaports was a mingling of accents and cultures. In the International Bazaar were to be found an arts and crafts market and shops of imports from the South Seas. Mimes, magicians, and strolling musicians entertained at this international bazaar. Sausalito Sue, a rustic cocktail barge, floated close by on the marina. Entered by means of a wooden ramp, it offered drinks and snacks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lotts-seaports-of-the-pacific-disneyland-hotel-anaheim-california_a-G-14695912-0.jpg?w=671&h=894.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	8536049

In the photo below, it's the multi-facade building running left-right on the far side of the Marina.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4ce14c96ee52a6a92525f7c09a90dd35--disneyland-vintage-disneyland-hotel.jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	8536050

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-27-2017, 11:26 AM.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

That would have been Seaports of the Pacific on the Marina waterfront, an international bazaar with one-of-a-kind imports. It was a long building on a pier above the water, with architectural styles from different Pacific nations. It was on the south side of the Marina, running east-west, with the Horseshoe Falls near the east end and the Dancing Waters area on the west end.

From Don Ballard's The Original Disneyland Hotel blog:

For the summer season of 1980, the 25th Anniversary of the Disneyland Hotel, the Seaports of the Pacific shopping area was added to the marina. Under construction since February, it replaced what had been the artisans market. Ed Ettinger, the project's supervisor, explained, "What we've developed is a living theater consisting of those special environments associated with exotic ports of trade in the Pacific Basin." Side by side were an Indonesian pagoda blue tile roof, an Australian weathered tin roof, a Polynesian bamboo roof, and a Latin American red mission-tile roof...a wide variety of colors and textures. Staffed by authentic personnel, the Seaports was a mingling of accents and cultures. In the International Bazaar were to be found an arts and crafts market and shops of imports from the South Seas. Mimes, magicians, and strolling musicians entertained at this international bazaar. Sausalito Sue, a rustic cocktail barge, floated close by on the marina. Entered by means of a wooden ramp, it offered drinks and snacks.

Click image for larger version Name:	lotts-seaports-of-the-pacific-disneyland-hotel-anaheim-california_a-G-14695912-0.jpg?w=671&h=894.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	8536049

In the photo below, it's the multi-facade building running left-right on the far side of the Marina.

Click image for larger version Name:	4ce14c96ee52a6a92525f7c09a90dd35--disneyland-vintage-disneyland-hotel.jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	8536050
                                    I know those paddle boat well !
                                    Great way to relax for the afternoon....then watch the Dancing Water Show at night.....
                                    old Disneyland Hotel.......was a great get away place.......to eat and have a little Fun!
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Mr. Wiggins, that's great information, but what I'm remembering is more along the lines of actual hotel rooms. It would have been later than 1980, since I never actually explored the hotel until at least 1985 or later.
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I don't remember that kind of decor in the rooms of the towers where I stayed from the 70s through 90s, but I never stayed in the original Garden Rooms. I dropped a PM with a link to your question to Micechat member oldholtelguy, Don Ballard, who's the top expert on this subject. If anyone can answer the question, he can!
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

Comment

Working...
                                        X