Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by COOLMAN478 View Post
    Re: What food do you miss from Yesterland?

I remember that I always got them before waiting in line for Big Thunder Mountain. I wish they kept their contract with McDonald's.
    I use to get them before getting in line for splash(when they served mcdonalds near haunted mansion exit). Made the line way more enjoyable. I have no shame in admitting I really miss mcdonalds fries in DL.

Comment

I guess I'm dating myself but I also remember the ribs at the Tahitian Terrace and the fried corn chips (Original Doritos) at the Casa De Fritos in Frontierland.
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

I miss the sandwiches that were sold at the Blue Ribbon Bakery, I liked the bread rolls they used.

Comment

Someone else mention Rancho Del Zocalo. I miss the wonderful tamales they make only at Christmas time. I haven't been back in a few years now, but they used to serve them each handmade in its own individual corn husk. Yummy.
          First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
          First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
          BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Nesboy43 View Post
            I never had the Monte Cristo there until about 4 years ago and thought it was amazing. Could someone fill me on on what changed about it? Only thing I've noticed recently is that the price went from $12 to $20.
            It's cheaper at Cafe Orleans.

Comment

Two things that I really miss:

Fantasia ice cream at Carnation Plaza. I had read that the ice cream was made specifically, and only, for Disneyland and had become cost prohibitive, thus discontinued. I miss that stuff.

Fried Chicken with red beans and rice at Cafe Orleans. Once Disney decided to become the caretakers of our health, they discontinued some of the best tasting, not best for you, dishes. Let me decide what I eat on vacation!

Comment

Originally posted by carolinejay View Post
                I also miss the small ice cream window on Main Street.. there's only one place in all of Disneyland to get ice cream, while DCA has several options!
                Oh my gosh, I really miss it. As nice as Gibson Girls is, I really love soft serve ice cream. Was very disappointed to see it's gone.

Comment

Welches was wonderful; but heck, I miss the hot roast beef sandwhich from just last year at Jolly Holiday too, with carmelized onions, cheese sauce on the side please (yes, I'll wait). The quality of the steak kabobs at the short-lived Aladdins Oasis (when it first replaced Tahitian Terrace with a similar restaurant and show) was amazingingly good. Those famous corn dogs used to be even bigger and better too. For a while, Stagedoor had huge, terrific chicken tenders, a real value - but then they got much more like nuggets.
                  sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
                  - - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post

It's cheaper at Cafe Orleans.
                    It's currently $20 at Cafe Orleans once you factor in tax, it's a grand $27 at the Blue Bayou (thought that does admittedly come with salad or gumbo in addition to the bread at the beginning that you don't get at Cafe Orleans). I can't believe it used to be $12 at some point!

Comment

Fantasia ice cream sold at the old Carnation Plaza and the Gibson Girl Ice Cream shop.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mullich View Post
                        Fantasia ice cream sold at the old Carnation Plaza and the Gibson Girl Ice Cream shop.
                        Yes to the Fantasia ice cream. The Fantasia flavor was an original park creation and the ice cream was made only for Disneyland at Carnation's old creamery near downtown Los Angeles.

Comment

Originally posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
                          I can't believe it (Monte Cristo) used to be $12 at some point!
                          Try $2.00. And this menu from 1970 will give you some idea of how great Disneyland's Blue Bayou dining selections used to be:

Comment

I had recently heard about the Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear. When I went the other week, it is no more.

Anyone ever had this? Maybe it wasn't popular enough, but damn, now it's a food of Yesterland.

Comment

Originally posted by JarrettOriginal View Post
                              I had recently heard about the Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear. When I went the other week, it is no more.

Anyone ever had this? Maybe it wasn't popular enough, but damn, now it's a food of Yesterland.
                              I'm upset about this too! I can't believe it wasn't popular,everyone used to rave about it. I've even tried to find the recipe with very little success. What Happened???
                              "A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." Eeyore

Comment

Was the Fantasia ice cream that super white ice cream they served at the old carnation cafe in the 80's I miss that.

I also miss the original New Orleans fritters they used to be one big ball of dough rather then the little balls of grease they serve now. I remember as a kids getting one of those and a fruit punch on a hot day and being in heaven.

I also seem to remember them having fried burritos served in most of the carts throughout Frontierland those were amazing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wunderkind View Post

Not sure if you know this already, but you can still get mozzerella sticks at the Stage Door Cafe. They're not on the menu, but they're definitely available!

I miss the little window they used to have sort of between the Royal Street Veranda and Pieces of Eight (Or was it there? My memory's hazy)... they had cheesecake and you could even take to-go. We would sometimes grab some for late night snacking before heading out. Also the Mickey-shaped mozzerella they served at the Harbor Galley, or the Mickey shaped corn chips they had as sides... And the fruit platter with yogurt to dip in from Tomorrowland Terrace. Man, now I'm hungry.
                                  Didnt realize that...I will get them next time

Comment

Yes, I had it once. It was pretty good. Nothing to write home about. It was nice to have something different than just a burger. That was when Disney really started changing up their menus. I guess that one didn't cut the mustard, as it were.

I miss the French Market while Stouffer's was the sponsor. The menu was delicious, and the quality of the food was excellent. It was also reasonably priced.
                                    The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Walt Disney World College Program, Spring 2005, Entertainment

Comment

The original Full Throttle Fries at Taste Pilots Grill paired with the condiments bar.
                                      "In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Comment

Not sure if this is the same (I never had it and this is a nicer eatery so I hope it wouldn't be), but they sell a fried green tomato sandwich at Cafe Orleans:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/din...orleans/menus/

I miss the merry berry churro and the Lousiana Po'boy beef sandwhich and salad (in a Bread bowl) they used sell at Cafe Orleans long before it was a table service. Also the Troubadour tavern nachos...

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post

I miss the French Market while Stouffer's was the sponsor. The menu was delicious, and the quality of the food was excellent. It was also reasonably priced.
                                          Not only was the food delicious, but it SMELLED delicious as well. I had a love/hate relationship with working on the popcorn wagon in New Orleans Square (next to the French Market, facing the back of the stage). On the one hand, I enjoyed the jazz music in the dining area. On the other hand, I hated smelling all of that delicious food that they used to cook. They'd start cooking about 10am or so (even though I don't think the restaurant opened until 11am), and by the time my lunch break came around, I'd be ravenously hungry. Then I'd go to the employee cafetaria and get a cheeseburger or a sandwich and it SO did not satisfy my craving!!!
                                          Last edited by Big D; 11-05-2016, 12:30 PM.
                                          Disneyland Cast Member
                                          Outdoor Vending
                                          1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Working...
                                          X