Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What food do you miss from Yesterland?

Curious if there is a food or item you miss that is no longer at the park?

I have two (technically one is DCA)

* At the Golden Horseshoe, which I am sure has had many classic changes since it existence, but in recent years, in addition to the Chicken Fingers, they had a Mozzerella Stick option, they were not bad, much better than the Chicken Fingers and the Breadbowl Chili here never seems hot enough, always a little pasty and the cheese never melts enough. So typically opt to go outside, get my corndog and join the family. But kind of miss the Mozzy sticks.

* When my daughter was in her princess phase, we did the whole deal, we would do the bippity boppity boutique at DL, prior to having lunch at Ariels Grotto. The old menu at the Grotto had a great French Onion soup, really enjoyed it, but they have it no longer.

These are not classics (Tuna sandos at the Pirate Ship) by any stretch, just things that I kind of enjoyed that I notice are now gone.

Re: What food do you miss from Yesterland?

There are 3 things I can think of off the top of my head:

1) The nachos from the old Cucina Cucamonga at DCA. When we were APs, we used to get an order of the nachos (they were large enough to share) and a bag of the crispitos made from the Mission tortillas. I always looked forward to that meal every time we went.

2) The beer battered onion rings from Hungry Bear Restaurant. I don't think they have them anymore, and if they did, I'm not sure they're the same. Those were an awesome afternoon/evening snack! We loved grabbing an order or two and hanging out on the RoA toward the back so we could watch the vessels go by and the CMs transporting for Fantasmic.

3) Technically this menu item still exists, but I'm adding it here anyway. The "old" Monte Cristo. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I've noticed changes to the popular sandwich. It seems to be slightly different each time we have it and honestly, it's to a point that I don't even want to get it anymore because I know I'll be disappointed. Maybe it's just me, but the sandwich seems like a shell of what it used to be (when it was under $10 and only served at BB). Of course, I haven't been to BB lately, so I don't know if the sandwich is different from the one served at Cafe Orleans or not (other than the sides offered). Can anyone shed light on this? (We stopped going to BB due to crowds and price hikes)
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

Comment

The old Monte Cristo sandwiches were far superior to the ersatz ones they "serve" nowadays. I miss them!

Comment

I miss being able to buy a fritter and that little walk-up window in NOS and enjoy it while sitting in he Court of Angels. Also I miss being able to sit out on the patio outside Carnation and have a hot fudge sundae. (I also miss my hummingbird-like metabolism which quickly burned off both treats!)

Comment

3) Technically this menu item still exists, but I'm adding it here anyway. The "old" Monte Cristo. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I've noticed changes to the popular sandwich. It seems to be slightly different each time we have it and honestly, it's to a point that I don't even want to get it anymore because I know I'll be disappointed. Maybe it's just me, but the sandwich seems like a shell of what it used to be (when it was under $10 and only served at BB). Of course, I haven't been to BB lately, so I don't know if the sandwich is different from the one served at Cafe Orleans or not (other than the sides offered). Can anyone shed light on this? (We stopped going to BB due to crowds and price hikes)
          Must agree. People still gush over it, but I think it's destined to live in my memory, not likely to be consumed again. Last time we ate at BB, a friend ordered the Monte Cristo, and to be fair, it still looks amazing on the plate! But the batter-to-filling ratio just seems way off these days. It's such a gut bomb! I'll probably have a little fit of amnesia mixed with nostalgia one day and want to make the mistake of ordering it again...but I hope someone's there there to talk me down!

I'm mortified to admit this, but I kind of liked being able to get a quick order of McDonald's french fries once upon a time ago. Oh the horror!

Comment

I've heard from a few CMs through the years that the backstage nickname for the Monte Cristo is "Meat Donut."

Anyhow, when I was a kid the hot July afternoon treat was always a Welch's frozen grape juice bar from their stand in Fantasyland. I've written before about how you could always tell which kid had just eaten one because they would be running around with purple lips.

Before the Carnation Garden changed their menu a few years back they offered a truly delicious chicken croissant sandwich which featured a broiled half chicken breast with bacon and lettuce with a side of potato salad that was both nicely priced and delicious.
            First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
            First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
            BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Anyhow, when I was a kid the hot July afternoon treat was always a Welch's frozen grape juice bar from their stand in Fantasyland. I've written before about how you could always tell which kid had just eaten one because they would be running around with purple lips.
              I'd forgotten all about those! They were amazing!!!

Comment

The original Monte Cristo and the potatoes that used to come with them are great (lucky to have that potato recipe - yum).

And the Cookie Boat from the Blue Bayou was pretty awesome - just a boat-shaped chocolate chip cookie with a sugar sail, ala mode. I'm obviously a fan.

Comment

The French Market fried chicken with steak fries and salad. And even before that in the 90's, they had a great fish and chips. Not a single food item but a whole experience, the dessert buffet on the balcony of the Disney Gallery for Fantasmic! That was the best! Also pink lemonade. Had those on Tom Sawyers Island and that was the best after running around for an hour.

Comment

I'm mortified to admit this, but I kind of liked being able to get a quick order of McDonald's french fries once upon a time ago. Oh the horror!
                    I remember that I always got them before waiting in line for Big Thunder Mountain. I wish they kept their contract with McDonald's.

Comment

Char grilled hamburgers (or "Nottinghamburgers" as they were called) at Fan 1 & Fan 2 (Disneyland's internal operational names for both) in Fantasyland. These were two identical large circular metal roofed "tents" that served your basic fast food. One was by Toad and the other back where you now enter Big Thunder Trail. You could smell 'em grilling (and see the smoke) from far and wide. They were sooooo good. Taken away with the New Fantasyland in 1983. Tomorrowland Terrace, Carnation Gardens, Stage Door Café and that Bear Country restaurant had similar. My understanding is that the SoCal Air Quality Management folks told Disney they had to do away with that method of grilling to cut down on the smoke emmissions, and burgers were never as tasty afterwards.

The fall-off-the-bones Polynesian Ribs at the Tahitian Terrace were down-right addictive. I always joked how they must be lacing the things with opium or something, because you always wanted more.

Also agree with others here...the original Monte Cristo was far superior to what they serve now.

Comment

I miss the Mighty Duck Puck that Outdoor Vending used to sell. It was an ice cream sandwich with vanilla ice cream between two chocolate chip cookies. They still sell a Nestle version, but it's not the same. It's smaller and it is always too hard and hurts your teeth to eat them. Also, I miss the Muffaletta that the French Market used to have. Oh, and strawberry churros. And pretty much all the food at Casa Mexicana.
                        Disneyland Cast Member
                        Outdoor Vending
                        1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by passholder View Post
                          * At the Golden Horseshoe, which I am sure has had many classic changes since it existence, but in recent years, in addition to the Chicken Fingers, they had a Mozzerella Stick option, they were not bad, much better than the Chicken Fingers and the Breadbowl Chili here never seems hot enough, always a little pasty and the cheese never melts enough. So typically opt to go outside, get my corndog and join the family. But kind of miss the Mozzy sticks.
                          Not sure if you know this already, but you can still get mozzerella sticks at the Stage Door Cafe. They're not on the menu, but they're definitely available!

I miss the little window they used to have sort of between the Royal Street Veranda and Pieces of Eight (Or was it there? My memory's hazy)... they had cheesecake and you could even take to-go. We would sometimes grab some for late night snacking before heading out. Also the Mickey-shaped mozzerella they served at the Harbor Galley, or the Mickey shaped corn chips they had as sides... And the fruit platter with yogurt to dip in from Tomorrowland Terrace. Man, now I'm hungry.

Comment

The fresh Orange juice at two places, Main Street and Adventureland. Decent coffee with unlimited all day free refils on Main Street. The Steak platter at the Tahitian Terrace - and yes, the ribs there too, Opus.

Comment

I miss the Jungle Julep, the heavenly juice beverage they served when the Bengal BBQ was called Sunkist, I Presume. Tropical juices, something like Tang, and ice, in a styrofoam Sunkist cup. Bliss!

Comment

I'm sad to see that the rose petal soda was removed from the Carthay Circle menu. Not sure how long it's been gone, I had it shortly after Carthay opened and was looking forward to going there again until I noticed it was no longer listed. Easy enough to recreate at home with some rose syrup, but I wish it was still available in the parks, I especially loved the candied rose petal that came on the glass rim.

I liked the antipasti tower they served as an appetizer for WoC packages at Ariel's Grotto, more interesting than the current soup/salad option. I also quite liked the Santa Maria tri-tip that they no longer serve there, but the "red oak-smoked honey-whisky bbq" tri-tip they currently serve sounds pretty good (just haven't been back recently).

Oh. That also reminds me, the ribs at Pilot's Taste Grill. Not a personal favorite of mine, but my mom loved them, I was sad to see them removed as it was probably her favorite food item at the park.

Comment

Welch's Grape Juice in Fantasyland

Comment

Wait, the mozarella sticks are gone???

nooooo

Comment

I never had the Monte Cristo there until about 4 years ago and thought it was amazing. Could someone fill me on on what changed about it? Only thing I've noticed recently is that the price went from $12 to $20.

Comment

The nachos they used to serve at Rancho del Zocalo and Cucina Cucamonga. They were so good! The Whitewater Snacks nachos just aren't as good.

I also miss the small ice cream window on Main Street.. there's only one place in all of Disneyland to get ice cream, while DCA has several options!

Comment

Working...
                                        X