Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Captain Hook's Pirate Ship in Fantasyland

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Hook's Pirate Ship in Fantasyland

Who misses the Pirate Ship in Disneyland's Fantasyland?

It was taken out before my time so I never got a chance to visit the original in Anaheim (growing up in Southern California) but there's a pirate ship at Disneyland Paris, (my home park now), in Adventureland.

Has anyone been to both? Were they built with the same design? I sense the California version was more elaborate since it had a restaurant in it, but I think nothing beats the Skull Rock we have here.

Re: Captain Hook's Pirate Ship in Fantasyland

It was before my time too, but still easily one of my favorite locations from Yesterland. The addition of Skull Rock in the 60's was a great touch, and there are some fantastic nighttime photos of that area floating around the Internet.

The story of the ship's demise is a rather sad one, but it is nice knowing that remnants of it still live on in the Peter Pan attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
      It was before my time too, but still easily one of my favorite locations from Yesterland. The addition of Skull Rock in the 60's was a great touch, and there are some fantastic nighttime photos of that area floating around the Internet.

The story of the ship's demise is a rather sad one, but it is nice knowing that remnants of it still live on in the Peter Pan attraction.
      I heard that the ship came apart when they were going to try and move it to another location in the park. Did they use the wood or something for part of Peter pan?

Comment

Wasn't the Pirate Ship Restaurant next to Skull Rock and not in it? Where exactly was it? I'm guessing somewhere in the area around Dumbo or Monstro?

And yes, I wish it were still there. My first visit was in '82 and I don't remember if it was there at that time. I'll have to ask my brother.
        [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Comment

I'm not sure, I assumed there was a counter inside the ship where they served sandwiches.

Comment

The ship on the left is the restaurant, or actually a walk up counter, sponsored by chicken of the sea.
            Last edited by GraceLovesGoofy; 08-22-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1962_Aerial.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	7360841
              Here's an image from 1962 showing the Pirate Ship and it's location. When Fantasyland was remodeled a whole lot of things happened. Dumbo is in the pirate ship location now. Notice that the DLRR passes right behind Storybookland? The DLRR was rerouted for IASW. Also notice that the original Dumbo had half as many elephants.
              It's my understanding that it was impossible to simply remove the pirate ship since it wasn't truly a ship. It was a building on a concrete foundation made to look like a ship. From what I've read, they never tried to move it, they bulldozed it. What a shame.
              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Ironically, the pirate ship and Skull Rock were the only two parts of original Fantasyland that most people wouldn't have wanted changed. Skull Rock was absolutely stunning, especially when lit up at night.
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                  It's my understanding that it was impossible to simply remove the pirate ship since it wasn't truly a ship. It was a building on a concrete foundation made to look like a ship. From what I've read, they never tried to move it, they bulldozed it. What a shame.
                  If you listen to Tony Baxter's accounts of remodeling Fantasyland in the early 1980s, he says that the plan was to move the pirate ship to a different location in Fantasyland. However, when the machines tried to pick up the ship, the ship simply collapsed. I believe he said it was built quickly in 1954-55, and not designed to be moved. He said that many of the props from the ship found their way to the new Peter Pan ride when Fantasyland re-opened in 1983.

For me, growing up in Los Angeles in the 1970s, what was special about the pirate ship was that it was (from a child's perspective) a full-sized ship that you could explore and pretend you were a pirate-- there was nothing else like it anywhere in southern California. The whole upper deck was essentially a play area for kids (like Tom Sawyer's Island), with a ship's wheel and higher and lower sections of the deck.

As I remember, the restaurant counter was on the main level of the ship where you walked in after crossing the lagoon on the rope bridge, and out back were a lot of seating areas after people bought their food. The Skull Rock was adjacent to the farthest seating areas. I can't remember what kind of food they served, but the tuna fish sandwiches were what were advertised (the sponsor for quite some time was Chicken of the Sea).

Comment

Thanks for the photos and the information, ladies and gentlemen.

The Pirate Ship and Skull Rock here in Paris take up an area as large as Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland or the MK. Sounds like you guys would appreciate exploring it, it's the only Disney park with this feature, and the first Adventureland and Fantasyland that are joined together. Interestingly, Hong Kong and Shanghai are too, but not with this Pirates of the Caribbean / Skull Rock / Captain Hook's / Peter Pan area.

Comment

I guess I'll have to visit Disneyland Paris on my next trip to Europe. I would love to see Skull Rock.

Comment

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
                        If you listen to Tony Baxter's accounts of remodeling Fantasyland in the early 1980s, he says that the plan was to move the pirate ship to a different location in Fantasyland. However, when the machines tried to pick up the ship, the ship simply collapsed. I believe he said it was built quickly in 1954-55, and not designed to be moved. He said that many of the props from the ship found their way to the new Peter Pan ride when Fantasyland re-opened in 1983.
                        That makes more sense and makes what I read come together. I like that they used parts of it in Peter Pan. I always thought a good place to put a new Pirate Ship would be where the Motorboat Cruise used to be but the Monorail runs near there.

Comment

Oh the monorail overhead won't bother anyone. This new Pirate Ship you're proposing, I imagine it's going to be a cantina. The patrons won't notice while drinking pirate grog.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                            Oh the monorail overhead won't bother anyone. This new Pirate Ship you're proposing, I imagine it's going to be a cantina. The patrons won't notice while drinking pirate grog.
                            Works for me. I guess you could have the Monorail pass through Skull Rock's ears.

Comment

I do remember the Pirate Ship and Skull Rock quite fondly. It was exactly where Dumbo is now. It was a great place to play as a kid. The skull in Paris is bigger. As someone stated above, plans were in place to relocate the ship during the Fantasyland redo. Unfortunately, it was not a real ship that you could just pick up and move with a crane. It was a structure on a concrete foundation surrounded by water. The water took its toll and the wood at waterline was rotten. By the time this was discovered there was no budget to rebuild it. The wheel, props and upper deck from the ship are on Peter Pan now.
                              Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

It was lovely, but I remember my crushing disappointment as a little boy upon learning that there was a ride there, just a small eatery serving (to me) crummy tuna fish sandwiches.

Comment

I didn't realize Werner Weiss had a story on this.

Checken of the Sea Pirate Ship and Restaurant at Yesterland

Comment

I remember the ship and rock. I'm pretty sure they were both smaller than the ones at DLP. The main difference is that original ship was more like the classic animated film Peter Pan. I hope they bring it back to Disneyland some day.

Comment

I remember on a hot day, I didn't want tuna!
                                      sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Working...
                                      X