Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

TRON machines at the Starcade -- summer of '82

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRON machines at the Starcade -- summer of '82

For some reason I just found myself reminiscing about Disneyland in the summer of '82 and the big marketing push for TRON. In the Starcade were a lot of the TRON arcade machines, including a batch I remember lining the walls that had secondary monitors attached on top so people could watch gameplay without crowding around the players. Does anybody have pictures of that? I just did a cursory Google search and found nothing. I'd love to see pictures. It's not a major attraction or anything, but it was a big deal at the time.

Re: TRON machines at the Starcade -- summer of '82

I had to do some digging to find this but it appears that there is at least one photo is floating around. A rather large photo, too!

Emerald and Hobbit: Vintage TRON photo from Disneyland's Starcade

I would love to see a shot of the entire row of machines.

Comment

Re: TRON machines at the Starcade -- summer of '82

Yep, that's it! I don't remember one standing alone in a corner like that, though. I wonder if that was after the initial marketing push. My memory was of several lining the wall right at the entrance, and I think there was a block of them in the middle of the floor near the entrance, too. Visibility was high for what Disney obviously hoped was going to be a big hit. Come to think of it, I must've been there right around the release of the movie, if not right before. I remember watching Walter Cronkite's special on TRON (this one!) during what must've been that same visit to California. The hype machine was in full swing.

Thanks for finding that! It's more than I managed.

Comment

That was back in Starcades hey day. I had a friend from school who was a video game finatic and a group of us went to Disneyland and he spent the whole day by himself in Starcade and the arcade at the Disneyland hotel. I can't even imagine the amount of coin he must have dropped on that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackness View Post
          That was back in Starcades hey day. I had a friend from school who was a video game finatic and a group of us went to Disneyland and he spent the whole day by himself in Starcade and the arcade at the Disneyland hotel. I can't even imagine the amount of coin he must have dropped on that day.
          Arcades in the 1980's were the place to be, especially like early to mid 80's and if you were at an arcade at a mall? Even better...

Comment

They had a tron machine in the Starcade about two years ago. Without the extra monitor on top thought.

Comment

Working...
            X