X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oct. 20, 2006: Burning Settler's Cabin

Originally posted by figment1986 View Post
    Remember last time they drained the river to clean up fantasmic... why didn't they spend time then? heck, they probably will hope we forget and never fix it... then when they finally figure out the next change to the island remove the pipes.
    This is what i was told by a Maitanence Guy when i asked him, think about 50 years of water damage to pipes, i think it is a pretty big undertaking, and they feel it is not a pressing issue, would you rather have an improved DCA or a brning cabin which few people see anyway.

Comment

Although I'd like them to get this effect back up and running, or removed and replaced with a new scene, If they are going to do some work or Tom Sawyer Island I think I'd rather see them getting the Fort back to being a place that guests can visit. I know that it is currently used for Fantasmic prop storage, and cast break areas, but perhaps they could hide a new facility for those purposes on the back side of the island where the cabin is, and that just might be the imputus for putting something new back there where the cabin was, it could hide the entrance to that new area, perhaps even have a dock that would seem just to be a set piece in the day "for the folks living in that cabin by the river", but might have a real practical use for the Fantasmic performers at night. Then the fort could be fixed up and re-fitted with things for the guests.
      Brian Martsolf martsolf@mindspring.com
      Big Brian's Disney page www.bigbrian-nc.com
      Postcards, Podcasts, and Trip Reports... Mousin' It Up! since 1997

Comment

Where exactly is the non-burning cabin today? Can you see it when you visit Tom Sawyer's Island, or do you have to be on a boat?
        FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Comment

Another sad, sad loss to political correctness. I guess I was a fool to think there were actually hostile Indians who fought both amongst themselves and the settlers in the 18th and 19th century, my 8th grade history book was all wrong.

And what about the sensitive feelings of river pirates!? Didn't Disney care at all about how river pirates would feel about being portrayed like that! Thank goodness we live in a world where Disney is more senstive and is willing to destroy entire areas of the park and ignore American history to cater to the whim of a few individuals in a vocal minority. I feel much better knowing that those 4 or 5 people won't be offended now.

But seriously though, Yesterland rocks. I have always liked it and it sure was good to see the old burning cabin in all its former glory. If Disneyland won't let us have it, we can just find it at Yesterland.

Comment

Originally posted by indyIluvu View Post
            Where exactly is the non-burning cabin today? Can you see it when you visit Tom Sawyer's Island, or do you have to be on a boat?
            Werner Weiss
            Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

well guys I just had a thought with the new POTC theme they'r aparently doing on the island this might be just the opertunity to light the cabin back up again they could say it was attacked by pirates which would fit the theme pretty well and also bring back a classic part of disneyland

Comment

Originally posted by Athlonacon View Post
                Another sad, sad loss to political correctness. I guess I was a fool to think there were actually hostile Indians who fought both amongst themselves and the settlers in the 18th and 19th century, my 8th grade history book was all wrong.

And what about the sensitive feelings of river pirates!? Didn't Disney care at all about how river pirates would feel about being portrayed like that! Thank goodness we live in a world where Disney is more senstive and is willing to destroy entire areas of the park and ignore American history to cater to the whim of a few individuals in a vocal minority. I feel much better knowing that those 4 or 5 people won't be offended now.

But seriously though, Yesterland rocks. I have always liked it and it sure was good to see the old burning cabin in all its former glory. If Disneyland won't let us have it, we can just find it at Yesterland.
                What he said. I thought the loss of the cabin was primarily due to the PC wave that has washed over the Dismey conglomerate over the past 15 years or so.

--Barry
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I love these pictures and these memories!!
                  "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Comment

Hey guys - I'm a WDW riverboater and the cabin has not been burning for at least sixteen or eighteen months (maybe longer)... its been so long that I can't specifically remember that last time that it actually was burning. There are rumors there about the pipes too, but noone knows for sure. The audio on the Liberty Belle referred to river pirates setting it ablaze, actually, it still does refer to that - one of the two obviously need to be fixed.

Comment

Last I saw the cabin burning, was the last time I visited, back in Dec 2004.

Comment

There are many little things that make Disneyland so magical. It is so sad
                        to see that the park has lost many of these things.
                        Walt Disney wouldn't have cared how much it would have cost to replace the
                        pipes over to the cabin. Disneyland management souldn't take away these
                        wonderful little pieces of "magic" that have made Disneyland what it is.
                        I think that if the ones at Disneyland who could really fix this cabin and
                        restore it to the way it was were to take a few minutes and read about Walt Disney
                        they would learn a little about what Disneyland and Walt's dream were all about.
                        " Too expensive to repair the pipes? " I wonder what Walt would have said to
                        that. Maybe someday.......someone with a love for the park will be in a position
                        to carry on his dreams and wishes. Until then we are left with a beautiful landmark
                        attraction whose flame has gone out.

Comment

I'm guessing the PC issue may have tilted the balance against the expense of fixing the gas pipes.

At Disneyland, when they decided it couldn't be burning because of an Indian... er... Native American attack, they came up with a progression of less and less plausible stories.

For a while, the old guy remained on the ground, but the arrows were all removed and they put up a still (as in making moonshine) next to the cabin. So the old guy had a little too much and the cabin was burning because the still blew up.

That wasn't PC either, though, so they took out the old guy and added an eagle's nest. Now the mother eagle was trying to rescue her young ones before the burning cabin turned into a forest fire.

So, are the eagles still out there now even though the cabin's not burning? Does the narration mention them at all if they are there?

Slightly off topic... one of the stranger things on the river front at Disneyland was the Halloween when they put little ghost sheets over the gophers who popped up out of the abandoned mine train.

Comment

Working...
                          X