This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nov. 10, 2006: Superstar Limo

Never had the chance to ride it. From ride through videos and pictures that were posted here, it looks like I didn't miss much. I understand "trying" to theme it with the Hollywood set, but it just seemed out of place.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 11-12-2006, 08:07 AM.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

SSL was greatly enhanced with alcohol consumption. Fortunately, DCA adequately provided such refreshment.

Had this attraction opened at DL instead of DCA, it would have been shut down during its first week of operation.

"DCA: in desperate need of a two-drink minimum"
      "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

This is the only attraction i remember the most out of all yesterland attractions.

Comment

Super Stupid Lamo shouldn't be in Yesterland, It's where it belongs...on the garbage heap. A poor attraction from the start and only got worse. Most of the "celebrities" were poorly done, the maintenance was a nightmare and everybody HATED the video screen characters. Melanie Griffith? I thought it was Vanna White standing next to Antonio. That always irked the DECO dept. SSL was useful in one respect. It taught a lot of folks at WDI (aka the bean counters) how NOT to make an attraction. In truth SSL was the shining example of everything that went wrong with DCA. Poor planning, cheap attractions, penny pinching ideas, and a total lack of imagination. Wow I'm glad I got that off my chest. Thanks Doc.
          "Just Keep Swimming, Swimming,Swimming, Just Keep Swimming......."

Comment

Never rode on it, but did watch a ride video with my mouth agape (and not in a good way.)

For what it's worth, though, I always liked the exterior facade.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
              Never rode on it, but did watch a ride video with my mouth agape (and not in a good way.)

For what it's worth, though, I always liked the exterior facade.
              I did ride it and my mouth agape at the exit and all I could think was "WTF????" It was the great's mis-fire Disney has ever built. I know that the ride had some supporters, but the ride was awful.
              Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

No, not a good ride, though I am glad I got to DCA in time to ride it once before it vanished. It just had to be seen to be fully "appreciated."

I agree, though, that the Joan Rivers announcements in the queue area were the most horrifying part. (Part of the problem is that you heard them over and over, if the ride had a l ine -- which it did when I went, though I gather that wasn't the case for long.)

I wasn't overly impressed by the Monsters Inc. ride either, but I wonder if I'm just getting too jaded to appreciate the new dark rides. I'm not a fan of Buzz Lightyear or Winnie the Pooh either (though Pooh was somewhat better than I had been led to expect). (I do like the Buzz online game, though...)

Comment

That is not a pretty sight!

But a good article though. Now I know what I didnt miss out on.
                  You say Im a bitch like its a bad thing.

London BABY!!

Comment

The attraction had potential and there were a few clever ideas, but, on the whole, the thing has to be regarded as one of the biggest atrocities in Disney history.

If anyone has seen legitimately funny satires of L.A. and the entertainment industry, such as Steve Martin's "L.A. Story" and the hilarious "Action", starring Jay Mohr (now available free of charge on AOL at http://video.aol.com/video-category/action/2047 ), then one knows what missed opportunities there were with this D.C.A. attraction.

I was impressed, though, by the resourcefulness of many of the people who were involved with the project. For example, the facade that guests had to pass through to find the attraction building, itself, may have been conceptual and abstract, but the metaphor was certainly a creative solution to the budgetary constraints the designers had. Also, the announcements scripted used the style of an old-fashioned newsreel, and that idea was quite ingenious.

Comment

I did get on the SSL once. It was indeed one of the most lame excuses for a ride imaginable.

The figures were poor to unrecognizable caricatures; the storyline, such as it was, was nearly incomprehensible.

It had a "let's ride it again" factor below zero.

I do miss its next door neighbor, though. I wonder what will go into the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire -- Play It!" building?
                      Last edited by captainaustrailia; 11-21-2006, 01:29 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I'm having trouble viewing the photos.
                        Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                        "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                        -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                        -August 2nd 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Jr. View Post
                          I'm having trouble viewing the photos.
                          Are you having trouble viewing the photos on the Superstar Limo page at Yesterland or other links that were mentioned in this thread?

The Superstar Limo page has 23 images if I remember correctly, so it loads more slowly than other pages at Yesterland, especially with slower connections such as dial-up. The images are all standard jpeg (jpg) files, so they should render properly with any browser from the past 10 years, once the page has finished loading.
                          Werner Weiss
                          Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

Working...
                          X