Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Why do people want a 3rd gate so bad?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people want a 3rd gate so bad?

I'm just curious? With there being a small amount of expansion room in Disneyland and a large amount of expansion room in California adventure (a park that just seemed to find it's stride with the recent changes)
    Not trying to create a heated debate here. Just curious why there is so much fan demand for it?

These people want more Disney theme park experiences but without compromising the thematic integrity of the existing parks, particularly Disneyland. Each existing "land" within Disneyland has a general theme (e.g., the American frontier, adventures in the rain forest, Disney animated fantasy films, the future), but the individual attractions have their own specific themes. In a Star Wars land, all the attractions would be themed around a single movie franchise. As for Disney's California Adventure, the theme was supposed to be a recreation of California experiences, but the theme wasn't executed that well originally and since has not been strictly adhered to, so a Star Wars Land in DCA doesn't upset as many Disney fans, although they still prefer a third gate for Star Wars, Marvel, and even Pixar IP.

Comment

Well put David Mullich. It's not that a large number of people don't want Star Wars, they just don't Star Wars in Disneyland. And yes, there would be far less resistance if SW was placed in DCA for the thematic reasons that you point out. Basically no one would be opposed to a third gate, hence the popularity for that option. Disneyland is of course the original park and a lot of core fans would like to see the original lands expanded and updated rather than see a completely different theme introduced that frankly seems a better fit for DCA,
      or a third gate.

PS. Where is the large area available for expansion in DCA that you mentioned Matterhorn77?
      Last edited by RaisedbyWolves; 10-18-2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mullich View Post
        These people want more Disney theme park experiences but without compromising the thematic integrity of the existing parks, particularly Disneyland. Each existing "land" within Disneyland has a general theme (e.g., the American frontier, adventures in the rain forest, Disney animated fantasy films, the future), but the individual attractions have their own specific themes. In a Star Wars land, all the attractions would be themed around a single movie franchise. As for Disney's California Adventure, the theme was supposed to be a recreation of California experiences, but the theme wasn't executed that well originally and since has not been strictly adhered to, so a Star Wars Land in DCA doesn't upset as many Disney fans, although they still prefer a third gate for Star Wars, Marvel, and even Pixar IP.
        Exactly! Since space is such a scarce resource, if you add something, you need to take something away! We don't want Disneyland to end up entirely in Yesterland!
        --
        http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

I might get destroyed by saying this but I think that SWL fits better at DL than DCA. The transition from critter country to SWL and Frontierland to SLW I think work better than any transition from anywhere in DCA to a SWL.

Comment

If it were only a question of transitions it would be a relatively simple problem. But it's not just the transition from one land to another, its all the potential impacts on DL.

Many (myself included) originally assumed that SWL would be a cul de sac design located completely outside the existing berm and constructed on space newly made available. In other words something similar to the layout/design of Toontown. We also hoped for minimal impact on surrounding lands. Even at that the expected potential impact of SWL on the rest of DL included overcrowding, an inconsistent theme, some transition issues, and other improvements/additions sacrificed or further postponed. Now we know even more of the existing Disneyland is going to be altered or sacrificed to make room for SWL and that takes the opposition to an even higher level.

I could go on a lot longer on this topic but the question is this: Why is the idea of a third gate so popular? And the answer is: Because it solves or sidesteps many of these issues.
            Last edited by RaisedbyWolves; 10-19-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Regarding the 3rd gate, is there really a demand for it? Yes, the parks are crowded. But to make a 3rd gate work capacity for DLR would need to increase by 40% - 50%. In order to accommodate that large of increase, there would need to be an increase in hotel space, parking space, eateries, etc. And within the city of Anaheim they would need to accommodate those increases for fire, police, public transit, automobile capacity. And what could Disney produce that would bring in those extra paying customers? i just think there are lot of other considerations when discussing a 3rd gate than many of us realize.
              Adults are only kids grown up, anyway - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by splash114 View Post
                Regarding the 3rd gate, is there really a demand for it? Yes, the parks are crowded. But to make a 3rd gate work capacity for DLR would need to increase by 40% - 50%. In order to accommodate that large of increase, there would need to be an increase in hotel space, parking space, eateries, etc. And within the city of Anaheim they would need to accommodate those increases for fire, police, public transit, automobile capacity. And what could Disney produce that would bring in those extra paying customers? i just think there are lot of other considerations when discussing a 3rd gate than many of us realize.
                With high-quality transit systems and expanded service, new parking spaces are not needed.

www.Facebook.com/METROLINKtoDISNEYLAND

Disney should actually want the third gate sooner rather than later, principally because it would help extend hotel stays. And, the resorts are really the most profitable part of the business since their margins are as high as 60%.

Comment

I want a third gate for having more options for experience. Period.
                  I want a third gate-so Anahiem can be more prosperious city. Building and operating another park will equal more jobs and better economy for California. Having a third gate in Anahiem can bring in more busienss to the area. More interest=more to do for city residence and tourist.

Comment

Working...
                  X