Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Hotel Fantasy Waters Show

I had completely forgotten about this little fountain show they use to have at the Disneyland Hotel. For whatever reason today I thought of it and went searching for a video of it and was lucky enough to find this one. Hope it brings back some found memories for some and if you never got a chance to see it, you enjoy.
    Last edited by indydisneyfan; 10-31-2016, 10:47 AM.

Thanks for this thread -- it bring back great memories indeed!

Here's another post on the Disneyland Hotel Marina of that era, and the Dancing Waters show.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

Comment

Those are wonderful old shots of the hotel and they way I still remember it in my mind. Growing up in Anaheim in the 70's and 80's my family spent a lot of time at the park until we moved to Indiana in 86. I am long overdue for a visit.

Comment

Took a couple of dates to see this, which was great if you were young and didn't have a great deal of money.
        "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Disneyland Hotel Fantasy Waters Show

was a Great Show........I sure do miss,the Old Disneyland Hotel Hang Out !
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Oh I remember that show -- and the truly wonderful waterfall area, and the marina...sigh. Many pleasant evenings were spent there. What a cheap date! The way they've ruined it all makes me want to cry.

Comment

Lots of memories. I saw it many times. That youtube showing is only 1 of several shows it had throughout it's entire run. I remember it before they added the electronic board behind. And when there wasn't a single Disney cartoon song. Just all original content. (This is before Disney purchased the DLH out from the Wrather Corporation.)

One thing I can never forget is jumping off the Monorail in a hurry to see a performance. There was a wooded pathway that was like a maze in front of it, that I would use to make my way over. Always got frustrated trying to find my way through it. In it's heyday ... even into the 80s and 90s .... that wooded terraced ramp was so crowded I would have trouble getting through. It was 20 minutes of shear enjoyment. But it wasn't just at the DLH where I could find a dancing waters show. Sea World's was pretty captivating. That was a more sophisticated and larger show, which was indoors. Did many tricks to dazzle audiences.

These shows tended to use popular songs of their time. But what was better for me - There were moments where the music content was more instrumental or Classical .. or just pure "mood" music which created (well) .... a mood, that was more suited for the dancing waters format, which grabbed me in a way hard to explain. Like the first moments in the cave sequence in PotC. Or the feeling people must have got when entering Rainbow Caverns in the Natures Wonderland Mine Train attraction. Or just the sight alone of Skull Rock in Fantasyland at night .. with the lights and water, and blocking out of your mind anything else going on around it. Or watching Fantasia or Fantasia 2000 - where there's no vocals, so the mind takes in more of the fewer elements .. than a barrage of things thrown at you. I can't think of any other way to explain it .. than getting a certain feeling or Mood. Instead of processing too many forms of stimuli, the mind is given less .. which in turn becomes MORE. Because ... the mind naturally takes in the "splendor" of the moment. Just when today's society thinks more in-our-face stimuli is better ... it can often spoil a moment, too.

So ... I got that mood feeling from Sea World's show. The earlier versions of DLH's show. I would later find it at Las Vegas' Bellagio Hotel show. As well as a petite show in The Grove (Farmer's Market) in Crenshaw District of LA. And I also remember a large botanical garden somewhere in the state of Delaware or Pennsylvania that had a show set to instrumental Christmas songs while on a trip in December some 15 years ago.

Once I got word Disney was doing a large scale show for DCA using much more powerful water fountains and brilliant LED lighting .. I got excited. But that got dashed once I saw the show. Instead of using music as a "supporting actor" and put more emphasis on the pageantry of what the water jets could do .. It's the other way around where the fountains are the supporting actor ... as Disney puts on a commercial to the Main Actor here - Snippet scenes of familiar Disney animated films. Just when parades, fireworks, and many attractions featuring familiar songs from many movies .. wasn't enough ... World of Color puts the "R" in Redundant.

Like the earlier versions of the DLH Water Show ... and a couple examples outside of Disney ......... original story lines, where some pieces of music are instrumental creates a mood that captures the imagination. And not the upteempth time I hear "Under The Sea". Which in turn .. makes me tune out!

The DLH Water Show (pre Disney owned years) ... was a refreshing break from the barrage of endless Disney film reminders in the park.

And talk about instrumental pieces of music the DLH Water show used in it's earlier shows ... this was one of them:

Imagine this set to those dancing water fountains..........

MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Werner View Post
                Oh I remember that show -- and the truly wonderful waterfall area, and the marina...sigh. Many pleasant evenings were spent there. What a cheap date! The way they've ruined it all makes me want to cry.
                I bet there are many in Disney patting themselves on the back ... congratulating themselves on the DLH remodel a few years ago.

I'd tell them ... You know what ...... If you wanted to turn the DLH grounds into a bit of a generic area with no "energy" .. you succeeded!

Taking down the one of a kind waterfall in front of the Bonita Tower .. in favor of a grass lawn - If they think that's not a big step down ... then they are deluded!

You know ....
                The parks are super crowded as it is.
                DtD is just shops and restaurants.
                The old DLH grounds was much more than just retail.
                And by getting rid of it ... when crowds could have been better dispersed by keeping it would have been an excellent idea!

I guess that's just too smart for them!
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Since my grandparents would vacation at the DLH, the Dancing Waters show was something we had to see. As a kid at the time, I didn't want to leave the park to watch a fountain but it was their vacation. I'm glad I went.
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Awww...I loved that show! A little bit of magic at the old DLH.

Comment

I have a lot of nostalgia just like everyone else for this show. I used to love it as a kid. But I also remember, in my later years, I watched the show one last time and thought to myself, "Wow... that isn't really as good I as remembered it". This video kinda confirmed it.

While I certainly do appreciate it was a free show at the hotel, it was feeling dated even by the standards back then at the end. I do still enjoy the memories I have of the show, but as a practicality, I think it was due to go.

On a related note, I also used to love the indoor Sparklett'ss Fantasy Dancing Waters Show at Sea World. Anyone remember that one? The ultra cheesy music was half the fun. (link below)

https://youtu.be/Yn9CUR0Jg08
                      Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Working...
                      X