Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland - 40 Years Ago

On this date 40 years ago, Disneyland retired the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland attraction to make way for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I never got to experience it first hand because I was only a couple weeks old when it closed. Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland is a popular discussion here on MiceChat. Rest in peace to an attraction that people like to talk about, even to this day.

The beauty of te train is that it offered an opportunity to have a real visual of what we saw on TV or in the films that Disney sent to schools. Just like the 2016 commercials with folks wearing that headgear that gives a real time experince, so did the train give a real time experince. At least to this 8 year old boy. Living in the barren Desert two hours east of Disneyland, the mine train fullfilled something that I would never experince first hand. It was always my first ticket out of the book and what brought the greatest joy, if it had been possible, I would have ridden it over and over. But tickets were of great value and not to be wasted. The discussion isn't about the experince, but the overall feat of creating a slice of the US. the best example for you is seeing the expanse of the mine train woud being using the native american scene on ROA, and spreading it along the entire trip on the Mark twain. Another consideration is the Grand Canyon, it is nothing like the mine train ride and I would support its removal. But it still being there pays homage To Walt Disney wanting to Bring the US to a city that had very little access to the rest of the naiton. Thank you for bringing this date to attention, 40 years from now someone will pause and share about the removal of ROA.

Comment

Originally posted by laferney Road kid View Post
      The beauty of te train is that it offered an opportunity to have a real visual of what we saw on TV or in the films that Disney sent to schools. Just like the 2016 commercials with folks wearing that headgear that gives a real time experince, so did the train give a real time experince. At least to this 8 year old boy. Living in the barren Desert two hours east of Disneyland, the mine train fullfilled something that I would never experince first hand. It was always my first ticket out of the book and what brought the greatest joy, if it had been possible, I would have ridden it over and over. But tickets were of great value and not to be wasted. The discussion isn't about the experince, but the overall feat of creating a slice of the US. the best example for you is seeing the expanse of the mine train woud being using the native american scene on ROA, and spreading it along the entire trip on the Mark twain. Another consideration is the Grand Canyon, it is nothing like the mine train ride and I would support its removal. But it still being there pays homage To Walt Disney wanting to Bring the US to a city that had very little access to the rest of the naiton. Thank you for bringing this date to attention, 40 years from now someone will pause and share about the removal of ROA.
      You're welcome. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned by anyone earlier today. I would have liked to see the ride as it was, but apparently there is no video of the whole experience on You Tube.

Comment

Good God. Has it been forty years? Doesn't seem that long ago to me. I must REALLY be getting old!

Comment

And next year it will be 30 years since we lost America Sings. They probably should have torn out the Carousel building when they closed America Sings. The building is useless nowadays. Yes Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland has been gone 40 years, slightly longer than Space Mountain being open.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
            And next year it will be 30 years since we lost America Sings. They probably should have torn out the Carousel building when they closed America Sings. The building is useless nowadays. Yes Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland has been gone 40 years, slightly longer than Space Mountain being open.
            I agree, that whole corner of TL is a mess. If nothing else, take the building down and make a better train station.
            “Whenever I go on a ride, I’m always thinking of what’s wrong with the thing and how it can be improved.”
            – Walt Disney

Comment

You're welcome. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned by anyone earlier today. I would have liked to see the ride as it was, but apparently there is no video of the whole experience on You Tube.
              There is a video on Youtube of Tony Baxter doing a tribute piece to the MTTNW. It was at a D23 event. The presentation pieces together quite a few films of the ride in the proper order.

I remember the Mine Train fondly, and as a kit it was also one of my favorites. I have an aerial picture of the ride that shows just how much real estate it took up.
              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Found the video

Comment

Here's the aerial shot. I think it came from the DHI page. The MTNNW took up lots of real estate.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DbM7-62dl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	8487682

Comment

I think instead of Star Wars Land, Frontierl and should have expanded and a Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland ride added.

Comment

This is probably the thing I get the most sad about not seeing in the park due to my age. From all the things I have watched about it and the pictures I have seen I know this is something I would have gone crazy over as a kid and would have loved today. I hope that once Tomorrowland is fixed (I pray that is a project in the near future) that Frontierland gets some new life, as it seems to be constantly shrinking.

Comment

I can remember when I found out America Sings closed. It was a little before my time. But if I knew then what I know about America Sings, I wouldn't be as upset about the closure. With Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, I can't miss what is not there.

Comment

Even though I never got to ride it, either, ... I have a fondness for it. I was 12 at the time it shut. In trips to DL pre the Jan 1977 closure ... I always stuck close to my parents .. everywhere we went throughout the park. Not old enough to venture on my own. And they never had the interest to ride this. Big mystery to me. And a loss. Oh well. So instead ... I've studied on it every way possible. Picks, videos, recreations on a small scale. And I await what Disney does ... with rumors of implementing old "Natures Wonderland" elements along the new alignment for the DLRR. Plus any tunnel with a possible recreation of the most famous and most talked about element - Rainbow Caverns.

I did a huge thread on the 60th Anniversary of the ride ... in case anyone is interested ................

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...rns-mine-train

MY SIGNATURE:
                          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I can remember when I found out America Sings closed. It was a little before my time. But if I knew then what I know about America Sings, I wouldn't be as upset about the closure. With Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, I can't miss what is not there.
                            I'm happy to say .. I was old enough to not only enjoy what is my all time favorite Disney park attraction of all time. It's what got me going with the AP program ... by going as many times as possible since I got wind imagineering was closing it .. to transfer the AAs to Splash Mountain. As it was in construction at the time.

I was such a fan ... I made sure I road the very last performance - at Midnight, Sunday April 10, 1988. Front row - Center! With nervous execs .. wondering how wild we were going to get. A very memorable experience for me.
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

There's one thing about the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland that we can enjoy today along with America Sings is the soundtrack. So in a way, Disneyland's extinct attractions are not totally gone.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X