Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get rid of Peoplemover/Rocket Rod Tracks

For the last 17 years, the Peoplemover/Rocket Rod tracks have been an eyesore. I think it's time Disneyland should remove the track since it's no longer usable. Plus it's a painful reminder of what was once there. With the tracks gone, it would clear space between Buzz Lightyear and Star Tours.

As much as I hate to admit it, and as big of a PM fan that I am, I have to agree. If the track can't be repaired or reused, remove it. Note that even though the track deck is beyond repair, the pillar bases can probably be reused. A new and improved peoplemover??? I've given my theory on that plenty of times.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

While we're at it, let's demolish the old Carousel building. It hasn't been used to it's full potential since America Sings. The building doesn't rotate anymore, thus the uniqueness is gone. The Peoplemover tracks are deteriorating just like the old Fantasyland Skyway Chalet was.

Comment

The PM tracks will be coming down. They are structurally unsound and cannot handle a 3rd attraction. It's not a matter of if but a matter of when. I honestly don't see it happening until a plan for TL has been thoroughly thought out, planned to the last detail and actually funded. It certainly won't happen until after SW:GE has been open for a while simply because they'd have to shut down large parts of TL if not TL as a whole to get it done.

Comment

Anyone who isn't keen to the idea that there wont eventually be a complete redo of T-Land somewhere down the road isn't thinking this through. First the DCA remake had to happen; now is the Star Wars Land addition, and at some point look for Disney do something really awesome in T-Land, but I'm sure they will want to include some new or existing franchise theme to that redo.

I would also lay odds Star Tours will be shuddered in short order after SW-Land opens; maybe to added back later in some manner or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post
            The PM tracks will be coming down. They are structurally unsound and cannot handle a 3rd attraction. It's not a matter of if but a matter of when. I honestly don't see it happening until a plan for TL has been thoroughly thought out, planned to the last detail and actually funded. It certainly won't happen until after SW:GE has been open for a while simply because they'd have to shut down large parts of TL if not TL as a whole to get it done.
            You would have figured Disney would have done something by now about the tracks. The Rocket Rods have been decommissioned for 16 years. That's a long time to leave an unusable track in place.

Comment

18 years ago today I was riding the Rocket Rods. Has it been that long?

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                While we're at it, let's demolish the old Carousel building. It hasn't been used to it's full potential since America Sings. The building doesn't rotate anymore, thus the uniqueness is gone. The Peoplemover tracks are deteriorating just like the old Fantasyland Skyway Chalet was.
                Not that I am privy to Disney's plans for TL, I do know you don't go demolishing multi-million dollar structures unless you are absolutely sure they can't be refurbished/reused. Engineering 101.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

Not that I am privy to Disney's plans for TL, I do know you don't go demolishing multi-million dollar structures unless you are absolutely sure they can't be refurbished/reused. Engineering 101.
                  The Carousel building hasn't been utilized since America Sings. But since Disney won't put a new audio animatronic show in there, there's no point in keeping the building.

Comment

The Carousel building hasn't been utilized since America Sings. But since Disney won't put a new audio animatronic show in there, there's no point in keeping the building.
                    Ok, you demolish it. Then what? BTW, it hasn't been used in it's Carousel configuration, but it has been utilized with exhibits (which sucked) way after AS.

Comment

Ok, you demolish it. Then what? BTW, it hasn't been used in it's Carousel configuration, but it has been utilized with exhibits (which sucked) way after AS.
                      If you're not going to use a structure for it's intended purpose, don't keep it around. The Peoplemover tracks are the biggest example It needs to be removed as much as possible.. For the Carousel of Progress building, I would turn it into a Lilo and Stitch attraction or something like that.

Comment

You would have figured Disney would have done something by now about the tracks. The Rocket Rods have been decommissioned for 16 years. That's a long time to leave an unusable track in place.
                        It is a long time but it does have some benefits. It provides a lighting platform and a place to hang banners as well. Also, think about the cost to tear it down. They need inspections, permits and of course the labor. Not to mention the fact that they'd need to close TL down for that time. There is also the cost of rebuilding because they can't leave holes where the posts are.

Comment

If you're not going to use a structure for it's intended purpose, don't keep it around. The Peoplemover tracks are the biggest example It needs to be removed as much as possible.. For the Carousel of Progress building, I would turn it into a Lilo and Stitch attraction or something like that.
                          Do you have any idea how much it costs to demolish a structure? I can see demolishing it if you are going to replace it with something else to offset your cost of demolishing it, but to tear it down for the sake of tearing it down is not a smart move. I understand your disapproval of the structure, but Disney is a Business. You don't waste $$.

Comment

It is a long time but it does have some benefits. It provides a lighting platform and a place to hang banners as well. Also, think about the cost to tear it down. They need inspections, permits and of course the labor. Not to mention the fact that they'd need to close TL down for that time. There is also the cost of rebuilding because they can't leave holes where the posts are.
                            The track as it is not reuseable. The Rocket Rods made sure of that. Eventually the track will become a Skyway Chalet type of hazard and will have to come down.

Comment

Do you have any idea how much it costs to demolish a structure? I can see demolishing it if you are going to replace it with something else to offset your cost of demolishing it, but to tear it down for the sake of tearing it down is not a smart move. I understand your disapproval of the structure, but Disney is a Business. You don't waste $$.
                              The track is not reuseable. If it was, Disney would have an attraction on it by now. 17 years of nothing tells me the track is beyond salvage.

Comment

The track as it is not reuseable. The Rocket Rods made sure of that. Eventually the track will become a Skyway Chalet type of hazard and will have to come down.
                                Look at my initial post. The track is not usable for an attraction as it is not structurally sound. Disney has found a way to use the tracks for other things rather than incur the enormous cost of tearing it down. It will come down in the future but probably not until it's time to completely redo TL.

Comment

Look at my initial post. The track is not usable for an attraction as it is not structurally sound. Disney has found a way to use the tracks for other things rather than incur the enormous cost of tearing it down. It will come down in the future but probably not until it's time to completely redo TL.
                                  Disneyland is only using a small portion of the track. They could put the flags and lights on the buildings themselves. Disneyland should have taken the track down while they were working on the Submarine Lagoon.

Comment

The track is not reuseable. If it was, Disney would have an attraction on it by now. 17 years of nothing tells me the track is beyond salvage.
                                    Did you read my post? I never said anything about reusing the track. I'm only commenting on the economics of demolishing a structure when there is nothing to replace it.

Comment

Did you read my post? I never said anything about reusing the track. I'm only commenting on the economics of demolishing a structure when there is nothing to replace it.
                                      I did read the post. I don't think I ever said about eliminating the tracks immediately. The timeline was to do it before the track becomes a safety hazard,

Comment

I think they are ways to do something interesting inside the Carousel of Progress building if Disneyland cared about it. That's a huge space that could be used without destroying the building. The People Mover tracks are tricky. I'd be good with removing them if a replacement was part of making Tomorrowland better. Just taking them out because they can't be used (and not replacing them) is my fear. Disney has been doing that a lot, and Disneyland needs more attractions to deal with the growing crowds. Once Galaxy's Edge opens, I'm hoping that Disney will take a look at Tomorrowland and make some efforts there.
                                        The Tomorrow Society - A blog and podcast that takes a smart look at Disney and other theme parks from a fan's perspective

Comment

Working...
                                        X