Skyway Chalet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyway Chalet

Around this time 2 years ago, Disneyland demolished the old Skyway Chalet building in Fantasyland. It was for the best anyway because the 60 year old building was in poor shape. Rest in peace Skyway Chalet and the attraction itself that was decommissioned 22 years prior.

That was such a neat setting. I always hoped it could have been kept and repurposed as a little cafe.

Comment

Originally posted by Werner View Post
      That was such a neat setting. I always hoped it could have been kept and repurposed as a little cafe.
      The building looked cool. But I think it wasn't touched after the ride was removed. On the bright side, the Skyway tribute can be found in the Matterhorn itself.

Comment

I also hope for the re-purposed patio to eat treats from the fantasyland area. I think I always left Tomorrowland and traveled into the chalet. It was more magical to end the trip thru the mountian and then fantasyland appeared. I probably rode the train to Tomorrowland station, or that is, after several trips around, I unloaded at tomorrowland and climbed the metal stairwell and loaded on to pure magic. I always wondr of the the skyway was why I had no fear of riding the snow chairlifts or jumping off house size boulders in the Joshua Tree National Monument into the pits of dry river bed sand. The Oregon STate fiar has chair lift skywar across the fairgrounds, but then, the ground viewed from up on high is patrolled by security, as each seat is numbered.

Comment

I miss seeing it. I can remember walking the steps to take the Skyway to TL. I always loved going through the Matterhorn.

Comment

It's been 2 years since they demolished it?!!! I can't get over the passage of time ... seems like it was far less than that.

It was for the best anyway because the 60 year old building was in poor shape.
            It was in poor shape because they allowed it to. Just like the Bonita Tower water falls at the DLH. In the last few years of it's existence, it was filthy and needed work. Cascade Peek ... they allowed wood rotting to get to the better of it. The last tunnel section seen outside of Big Thunder's exit ... was also allowed rotting .... as they tried to mask it from the outside ... but a budget prevailed ... and it was fixed and restored. The last remaining remnant to Natures Wonderland.

Not to mention - We don't know, really, how extensive the deterioration was. Internet discussion can at any time make exaggerated claims about anything.

When this happened ... I was shocked. I didn't see how it interfered with SWL. Anything is fixable with some "love" tended to it. But today's Disney does not care. And it's for that reason -(Disney not showing they care) ... is my interest in Disney took another hit ... as it's been taking hits for the last 3 decades ... the more "corporate" they are ... the more I dislike the whole bowl of wax .. and lean more to other interests.

I think I might be able to speak for many people similar like me - There are so many posters who've left Micechat over the last 10+ years. Every time something devastating happens ... I see membership take a hit. People have dropped out.

Regarding the chalet - I haven't even heard a thing what Disney has done to care for the ornate facade pieces that made the chalet the beautiful building it was from the outside. Oh sure ... on the inside it didn't look like much .... but this unique piece of architecture that sat on a hill gave Fantasyland a little more charm ... now it's got a little less charm to it.

It's not like there was some rational to remove it because their was no possible other purpose for it.

I told my story here on Micechat before ... I'll say it again ... with a bit added.

A few years after Skyway was shut ... I wrote the (then) president to DL at the time. Our "very favorite" Paul Pressler. I asked him about the Skyway chalet - HE WROTE ME BACK! These were the days .. before the internet .... a time companies wrote back to people ... a time when someone higher up would actually write a little nobody like me! LOL

And he said they were going to reuse the structure for public purposes.

Now ... I got my memories colored a bit. I thought he said it was for weddings. Well ... as I live in Australia ... and got all my Disneyana stuff packed away in California .... I revisited that letter in a trip back a year ago this month. Re-reading it - He said the chalet was going to be a character meet and greet. I brought that letter back with me. Now I need to scan it and show it online. It will be a gas! Coming from one of the least favorite DL presidents in history.

So ..... like so many decisions for what gets built and what gets demolished - I can say for a fact ... The Fantasyland Chalet's fate laid in the hands of squabbling executives. Not some cut and dry answer some of us would prefer to know. Like so many things that have come and gone and left me scratching my head in disbelief ... the Chalet was one of those things that could have been restored/renovated ... and still be there.

Look around the park ... think of things that could have been saved. Look at things ill placed. Look at places that need attention now (Tomorrowland) ... I point my fingers to inept corporate execs who don't make the best judgement calls on a lot of what happens in DL.

MY SIGNATURE:
            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Werner View Post
              I was thinking the same thing. Being up on that hill, it would have been a nice quiet spot to sit and look over Fantasyland. They could have sold Strudel and other European pastries.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Being up on that hill, it would have been a nice quiet spot to sit and look over Fantasyland. They could have sold Strudel and other European pastries.
                YES! Would have been a lovely little spot. And selling Strudel, etc. -- great idea. Hey, even if they integrated a Starbucks in there, that would be OK with me!

Comment

the pirate ship was far more worth saving then the chalet. They could have hauled the ship off and put in warehouse for further consideration if that was part of the calendar of progress at Disneyland. There was no schedule for progress for a long-gone attraction. . The problem with the chalet building is that it was probably a CM blind sport for security, sure a arch of sorts would have been nice with the patio and tables and chairs. One of those elements of making visitors feel human with a resting area in the shade of the trees.

Comment

Working...
                  X