X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Wiggins
    started a topic 1999 - R.I.P. Monorail Cafe

1999 - R.I.P. Monorail Cafe

With thanks to Matthew Ryan on the Truly Vintage Disneyland page...

On this date in 1999, Disneyland's Monorail Café (part of the Disneyland Hotel) closes. Opened since 1986, it will be removed to make room for areas of the new Downtown Disney, which is part of the large Disneyland Resort Expansion Project. (The Monorail Café occupied the spot first called the Coffee Shop, which opened back in 1955.)

• 3IAlienKid
    replied
    Yeah, miss this place. I'd argue that the food wasn't even that great, but we ate there a few times then visited Mickey's Corner if we needed our Disney fix but didn't have the time to visit DL. I guess this would have been before I bought my first annual pass as well.

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied
    I only ate at the Monorail Cafe once. I had time to kill before a Star Trek convention started at the Disneyland Hotel. But there was definitely a more innocent charm to the cafe - and the rest of the hotel - back then. Although I still think it's a beautiful hotel now, with a classic Disney theme, as others have said, it was a destination unto itself. If the Tardis ever shows up on my doorstep, the classic Disneyland Hotel (and Disneyland, of course. I'm not crazy!) will be near the top of my list of destinations.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by gary94080 View Post
    it seemed like there were things at the hotel shops that were not sold in the park.
    You would be correct. The shops were for the most part unique. You could find a variety of non-Disney items. The difference was even noticeable in the parks. You didn't find the same uniformity between all the shops in the parks like you do now. There was also more Disneyland-specific merchandise, not just Disney Parks stuff you can get anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• gary94080
    replied
    this will show how old I am.

when we used up all of our ride tickets and ran out of "free" things to do at Disneyland we would take the tram over to the hotel and go through the shops. it seemed like there were things at the hotel shops that were not sold in the park.

never ate at the cafe though, we usually ate inside the park.

Leave a comment:

• dazyhill
    replied
    I loved Mickey's Corner. The best selection of everything hands down. Better than World of Disney.

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Your parents may have purchased the plushes from Mickey's Corner, which was on the ground floor of the same building Monorail Cafe was in.

Note, these aren't my photos but I came across them online.
    I believe you are correct, as I remember the displays and displays of plushes.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    I have faint memories of the area, as I was a young kid.

I remember taking the monorail to the Disneyland Hotel and stopping at cafe. I remember wanting to have the orange float/slushie badly (I didn't get it). We later shopped at the nearby store, where I think my Mom and Dad secretly purchased my Sister's and mine's Mickey and Minnie plushes(they were later placed next to us, when we were asleep).

I remember we took the tram back to the park, as we were staying at Hojos. We didn't get to stay at the Disneyland Hotel until 2000, and by then, the new Monorail Station was fisnished and Downtown Disney/Grand California Hotel/DCA were still being built.
    Your parents may have purchased the plushes from Mickey's Corner, which was on the ground floor of the same building Monorail Cafe was in.

Note, these aren't my photos but I came across them online.

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    I have faint memories of the area, as I was a young kid.

I remember taking the monorail to the Disneyland Hotel and stopping at cafe. I remember wanting to have the orange float/slushie badly (I didn't get it). We later shopped at the nearby store, where I think my Mom and Dad secretly purchased my Sister's and mine's Mickey and Minnie plushes(they were later placed next to us, when we were asleep).

I remember we took the tram back to the park, as we were staying at Hojos. We didn't get to stay at the Disneyland Hotel until 2000, and by then, the new Monorail Station was fisnished and Downtown Disney/Grand California Hotel/DCA were still being built.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Loved the Monorail Cafe. Nothing fancy, but a nice little spot for a meal back in the DLH's glory days. In the old days, our last vacation day was never spent in the parks. We'd sleep in a bit and stroll the hotel grounds before an early-afternoon flight back home. You had all the shops and restaurants that ran parallel to the monorail, plus the 3-story Plaza Shops next to the Marina Tower. You can buy Disney merch for sure, but the stores were all unique and many were non-Disney, which was fine. We'd have an early lunch at the Monorail Cafe -- or sometimes breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen, back when it was next to the Olympic pool behind the Sierra Tower. For a kid, there were waterfalls to explore, boats to maneuver, an underwater arcade, and watercraft rental. At night, we loved pulling up a seat outside the Bonita to catch the Fantasy Waters show. It truly was a destination resort. I still love the hotel -- albeit, for nostalgic purposes, if I'm honest -- but there's no way it's as good a value now as it was before. You've got a tiny fraction of the restaurants, amenities and shops, and you're paying more than the Ritz for an otherwise 60s-era hotel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X