Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carousel of Progress Video

Can't seem to find a video of Disneyland's Carousel of Progress (1967-1973, the one with Rex Allen as 'Father'). I would appreciate if some kind soul could provide a link. Thanking you in advance!

I'd love to see a video of the entire show, but I've not been able to find one in years of searching. The attraction closed before home video camcorders became popular. It would have taken an extraordinary effort for a guest to record the show on film, and the quality would have been poor. The challenges would have included lighting (the 8mm, super 8 and 16mm home cameras of that time didn't have low-light film stock and fast lenses) and getting decent sound. The low-capacity reels would have meant multiple reloads to film the entire show, not to mention the logistics of covering the wide panorama of the CoP stage in a 1:33.1 frame.

Disney TV and DL promotional films of the time included professionally-shot 35mm clips from the CoP (unfortunately with the AAs in unflattering close-ups) and of Progress City, but I've never found a mention of a complete recording of it. If one exists, it was shot by the Studio for promotional purposes, with multiple camera setups and additional lighting -- commercial lenses and film stock fast enough to capture the low levels of CoP's show lighting were extremely expensive at that time.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-17-2019, 05:03 AM.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

Comment

This is when I get upset thinking about all the photos and film I shot in the 70's. Almost all of my old photos and slides were lost in various relocations and poor storage. I know I had a group from the CoP before it was shipped to Florida. All were tripod mounted SLR, on Ektachrome film. Man, to have that film back.
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Ah, yes. That makes sense.. thanx Mister Wiggins!

Comment

Working...
        X