• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland
    • Oct 2006

Help Needed: Mystery Buildings at Disney-MGM Studios

I need your help, please. (UPDATED 11/23/2007 WITH 5 ADDITIONAL PHOTOS)

On November 16, 2007, my Yesterland article was Real Buildings that Inspired Disney-MGM Studios. A lot of people enjoyed that article.

There was a good discussion about on MiceChat at Nov. 16, 2007: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney-MGM Studios.

I'd like to do some future articles along similar lines, including two more about Disney-MGM Studios (Disney's Hollywood Studios). I've figured out the inspirations for some additional Disney-MGM Studios buildings. There are eleven that I'd like to identify, but that have me stumped.

What real-life building inspired the following Disney-MGM buildings?

Mystery 1.

Mystery 2 Solved! former Pasadena Winter Garden (J. Cyril Bennett, 1940), now Public Storage, 171 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena

Mystery 3 Solved! 35er Bar, 12 East Colorado Boulevard (near Fair Oaks), Pasadena, California

Mystery 4.

Mystery 5 Solved! 200 Powell (at O'Farrell), San Francisco (is becoming a Skechers store).

Mystery 6 Solved! The old Floral Exchange at 1900 Telegraph Ave. (at 19th Street) in Oakland.

Mystery 7 Solved! former Paul Kohner Agency, 9169 W Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood.

Mystery 8.

Mystery 9 Solved! Ivy Substation, 9070 Venice Boulevard, Culver City, California.

Mystery 10 Solved! Telesound Studio (circa 1945), 6926 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles.

Mystery 11 Solved! Fire Station No. 1, 2230 Pasadena Avenue , Lincoln Heights.

I'm looking for addresses and/or names and/or links to web pages that provide details.

As I get answers, I'll update this post with "mystery solved" information.

Please post your responses here. Thank you!
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 12-19-2007, 05:07 AM. Reason: UPDATED 11/23/2007 WITH 5 ADDITIONAL PHOTOS
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions
  • ex-wdi
    • Jul 2005

Re: Help Needed: Mystery Buildings at Disney-MGM Studios

#4 is possibly inspired by the Mayan Theater, but it's not at all an exact match.
    #5 looks like the Wiltern Theater.

Comment

• Werner Weiss
      Curator of Yesterland
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ex-wdi View Post
      #4 is possibly inspired by the Mayan Theater, but it's not at all an exact match.
      It's not the Mayan Theatre: http://www.you-are-here.com/theatre/mayan.html

When I originally saw that facade, I assumed it was based on the Aztec Hotel in Monrovia. But it's not that either: http://rion.nu/v5/archive/000317.php

When I was researching for this article, I thought it might be based on one of the L.A. area's themed movie palaces. No luck either. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ew_page_18.htm

I have to believe that #4 is based on a real building, and that it actually has a corner entrance like that. I just don't know what it is. It could be from a restaurant, a bar, a shop, or a business.

I hope somebody reading this thread recognizes it.

Originally posted by ex-wdi View Post
      #5 looks like the Wiltern Theater.
      It's not the Wiltern Theatre (Pellissier Building). The Wiltern/Pellissier has lots of zig zag ornamentation. http://www.you-are-here.com/theatre/wiltern.html
      Werner Weiss

Comment

• BigPigletFan
        I was deleted.
        • Dec 2008

It is quite possible that some of these buildings are no longer in existence. I sent an email to Professor Marling - author of Designing Disney's Theme Parks... maybe she can give some information to this search.

Comment

• Werner Weiss
          Curator of Yesterland
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
          It is quite possible that some of these buildings are no longer in existence. I sent an email to Professor Marling - author of Designing Disney's Theme Parks... maybe she can give some information to this search.
          Thank you! It will be interesting to see her reply.
          Werner Weiss

Comment

• Werner Weiss
            Curator of Yesterland
            • Oct 2006

Help Needed: Digital photos of Los Angeles area buildings wanted

If anyone in the Los Angeles area wants to waste part of a day taking digital pictures for Yesterland, I would really appreciate it. I would provide pictures that I already took at Disney-MGM Studios; ideally, the camera angles would be similar. I already have a few pictures, such as The Darkroom and Chapman Park Market, but I don't have most of the others. (Of course, I wouldn't expect pictures of the demolished buildings.) Also, even one or two pictures would help; I don't want anyone to think I'll only accept a comprehensive set of photos.

All you'd get from me is credit as the photographer and my sincere thanks.

In addition to the pictures in my recent Yesterland article and the "mystery" buildings at the top of this thread, here are some other Disney-MGM buildings and their inspirations.

I believe the following buildings still exist:
            1. Apparel, Accessories, Jewelry (pink & white building on Sunset): The former Max Factor Bldg. (one-story portion), 1666 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood (still Mel's Diner?)
            2. Great Movie Ride: Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood
            3. Sunset Ranch Market: Los Angeles Farmer's Market, 3rd & Fairfax, Los Angeles
            4. Legends of Hollywood: Academy Theater, 3141 W. Manchester Blvd., Inglewood (now a church)
            5. Keystone Clothiers (streamline portion): former Owl Drug, 6382 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood
            6. Tailors To The Stars: L.A. Department of Water and Power, 2417 Daly St., Lincoln Heights
            7. Pluto's Palace: Animal hospital, 940 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood
            8. Mouse About Town: former Paul Kohner Agency, 9169 W Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood
            9. Pacific Electric building: Ivy Substation, 9070 Venice Boulevard, Culver City, California.
            10. Villains in Vogue (middle facade): Pasadena Winter Garden, now Public Storage, 171 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena
            11. Keystone Clothiers (tower portion): (still a mystery after all)
            12. Sunset Club Couture: The old Floral Exchange (now Flora) at 1900 Telegraph Ave. (at 19th Street) in Oakland, California.
            13. Villains in Vogue (right facade): 35er Bar, 12 East Colorado Boulevard (near Fair Oaks), Pasadena, California
            14. Blue art deco facade of Hollywood & Vine Cafeteria: 200 Powell (at O'Farrell), San Francisco (is becoming a Skechers store).
            15. Cosmetic Dentistry: Telesound Studio (circa 1945), 6926 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles.

This list isn't complete yet. I will make changes in blue.

Photos that I already have:
            • The Darkroom camera shop: The Darkroom on Wilshire Blvd.
            • Head To Toe: Chapman Plaza Market, 6th & Kenmore, Los Angeles

Buildings that no longer exist in the L.A. area:
            • Entrance: Pan Pacific Auditorium (destroyed by fire 1989)
            • Beverly Sunset Theater: Warner Beverly Hills Theater (demolished 1988), 9404 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills
            • Carthay Circle Theater: Carthay Circle Theater (demolished)

If you're interested, please reply to this thread or send a PM to me.

Thanks!
            Last edited by Werner Weiss; 12-19-2007, 05:36 AM.
            Werner Weiss

Comment

• BassBone
              is too darn hot.
              • Mar 2007

Kinda off-topic, but is Mystery 11 called "Peevy's?" Is that a Rocketeer reference?
              The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

• Werner Weiss
                Curator of Yesterland
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                Kinda off-topic, but is Mystery 11 called "Peevy's?" Is that a Rocketeer reference?
                Yes, Mystery 11 is called "PEEVY's Polar Pipeline" on the main sign, and they sell "FROZEN CONCOCTIONS ." Touchstone Pictures (Disney) released The RocketeerThe Rocketeer. Peevy is an unusual name. I assume that The Rocketeer was already in production when when the name was picked for this Disney-MGM Studios facility. (It's also possible that Peevy's wasn't there on Day One of Disney-MGM Studios; it doesn't appear in my 1989 Disney-MGM Studios guidebook).

For more details about references to The Rocketeer at Peevy's, see http://www.studioscentral.com/column/why12.html
                Last edited by Werner Weiss; 11-23-2007, 12:44 PM.
                Werner Weiss

Comment

• BassBone
                  is too darn hot.
                  • Mar 2007

I am a big Rocketeer fan and it's nice to see references to this most under-appreciated of Disney movies.
                  The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

• BigPigletFan
                    I was deleted.
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Werner Weiss View Post
                    Thank you! It will be interesting to see her reply.
                    Yes, she emailed me back and said she has photos of the buildings as well. They're in her office. She's on vacation to WDW for the Thanksgiving holiday, but she also mentioned not to leave out the Chinese Theatre as well! (I remember seeing a slide of #9 in her class last spring.)

I'll get these to you once I get them from her.
                    Last edited by BigPigletFan; 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Hilsbro
                      The Useless Prince
                      • Apr 2005

#9 looks like a small Union station....lol

Comment

• Werner Weiss
                        Curator of Yesterland
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
                        I'll get these to you once I get them from her.
                        I'm looking forward to the information. Thank you!

Originally posted by Hilsbro View Post
                        #9 looks like a small Union station....lol
                        Mystery 9 and Union Station look different to me. Please take a look at this photo of Los Angeles Union Station:
                        Werner Weiss

Comment

• Hilsbro
                          The Useless Prince
                          • Apr 2005

very true....well...my mistake

I did a little snooping and I found this

Ivy Substation

Ivy Substation was built in 1907 by the Los Angeles Pacific Railway Company to house electrical transformers needed to run cable cars.It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is designated as Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument Number 182.

Comment

• Werner Weiss
                            Curator of Yesterland
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Hilsbro View Post
                            very true....well...my mistake

I did a little snooping and I found this

Ivy Substation

Excellent! One mystery has been solved! #9 is Ivy Substation, 9070 Venice Boulevard, Culver City, California. (Address according to the Historic-Cultural Monuments and the Cultural Heritage Commission is 9009-9031 Venice Boulevard.)

Here's a larger picture: http://cityplanning.lacity.org/compl...Substation.pdf

There's more information about Ivy Substation at http://www.culvercity.org/cultural/i...n.asp?sec=arts
                            Werner Weiss

Comment

• YoCharles
                              • Oct 2005

#3 looks like the Bullocks Wilshire Building.
                              Where oh where is YoCharles????

CrazyLegs wants to know.....:crazylegs

Comment

• CThaddeus
                                • Jul 2005

I'm willing to volunteer to try to find these places for you. My company recently went under, so I now have some free time on my hands. Just let me know everything you're looking for (I'll probably recognize them myself just from seeing them so many times at Disney-MGM!), and I can drive up there Monday or Tuesday.

Comment

• Werner Weiss
                                  Curator of Yesterland
                                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by YoCharles View Post
                                  #3 looks like the Bullocks Wilshire Building.
                                  Although there are some similarities, Mystery 3 is not based on Bullocks Wilshire.

The pictures below show the Mystery 3 facade, Bullocks Wilshire, and a Disney theme park facade that really is based on Bullocks Wilshire. (If you think this is a sneak preview of pictures from a future Yesterland article, you're right.)

Above: Mystery 3.

Above: Bullocks Wilshire, 3050 Wilshire Boulevard (now Southwestern Law School)

Above: Gone Hollywood at Disney's California Adventure
                                  Werner Weiss

Comment

• CoasterBadBoy
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Nov 2007

Number two is the old Winter Garden ice skating rink in Pasadena on Arroyo Parkway across the street from the Salt Shaker. It's now a public storage facility. http://www.squareone.org/PolarPalace/pasadena.html
                                    Last edited by CoasterBadBoy; 11-30-2007, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Werner Weiss
                                      Curator of Yesterland
                                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by CThaddeus View Post
                                      I'm willing to volunteer to try to find these places for you. My company recently went under, so I now have some free time on my hands. Just let me know everything you're looking for (I'll probably recognize them myself just from seeing them so many times at Disney-MGM!), and I can drive up there Monday or Tuesday.
                                      Thank you!

In post #6 of this thread, I have a list under the introduction "I believe the following buildings still exist."

The list will grow as MiceChat readers and I solve the mysteries in post #1 of this thread.

I'll assemble a page for you with the images that I have from Disney-MGM Studios. That way, you'll know what the Disney versions of the building look like and what you're looking for. Ideally, your snapshots of the buildings would be from a similar angle, but that's not absolutely necessary. Also, please take several pictures from several angles. I assume you're using a digital camera, so "film is free."

Please don't think you have to find and photograph all the buildings in the list. I hope I'll get an additional volunteer or two. As I receive the image files, I'll update the list so that nobody has to waste time taking snapshots that somebody else has already taken.

After you've taken the pictures, please e-mail the files to me. Don't worry about adjusting, cropping, or resizing the images in any way.

Finally, please don't do anything dangerous. Don't stand in the middle of the street (even if you can get the best shot that way), and don't go into any areas that might be unsafe (even if any addresses on the list are in such areas). I would feel terrible if anything happened to someone who was taking pictures for Yesterland.

I'll send a PM to to later today.

Thanks again!
                                      Werner Weiss

Comment

• Werner Weiss
                                        Curator of Yesterland
                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by CoasterBadBoy View Post
                                        Number two is the old Winter Garden ice skating rink in Pasadena on Arroyo Parkway across the street from the Salt Shaker. It's now a public storage facility. http://www.squareone.org/PolarPalace/pasadena.html
                                        Excellent! A third mystery has been solved! Thank you.

#2 is the Pasadena Winter Garden (J. Cyril Bennett, 1940), 171 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena, which is now Public Storage. http://www.squareone.org/PolarPalace/pasadena.html

I'll update post #1 and post #6 of this thread.
                                        Werner Weiss

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X