Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding that Awful Coffee Smell at DCA - “Yesterland: Baker's Field Bakery”

I was thumbing through Yesterland articles, nostalgic for Disneyland during this time of stay-at-home orders. I came across this memory of the original DCA with the weird smell of coffee. And I just wanted to chime in and correct the article a bit.

The article reports the smell was the coffee roasting because of this Baker’s Field Bakery. On opening day, the smell of coffee was intended to waft through the air as park guests entered the park. Hoping that it would make guests want a nice cup of hot coffee.

I love the old photos from the article. Makes me miss the former entrance of the CALIFORNIA letters a lot.

But I came here to report that the smell, like many other places in the Disneyland resort, was artificially pumped out. It was not a real smell because of roasting coffee beans.

A cast member recently told me the story of how great it smelled on Opening Day. The original smell was sweet, delicious hot coffee. But the next day, something in the machine overheated/burnt, the actually smell smelled like awful burnt coffee. The park officials did not decide to turn the smell machine off, for whatever strange reason, up until around the time of the installation of the Alice in Wonderland overlay in the Hollywood area.

So, while it would seem the smell went away with the Baker’s Field Bakery, it’s just coincidence. And now we’re left with just the memory of that not so wonderful coffee smell.

Missing Disneyland SO MUCH right now as I know all of you are too.

Anyone else remember any Yesterland details from that original DCA?? What do you miss most??

Personally, I miss fresh tortillas!

Cool memory and now I remember that smell LOL.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

One of the saddest and funniest things for me, as I’m a Bakersfield native, was that the bad coffee smell actually reminded me of home because Bakersfield is notorious for smelling terribly. I thought the Imagineers were just trying to be on point with the smell, but I guess it was all just a magical Disney coincidence. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

Man, I hated that burnt coffee smell!

I do miss the fresh tortillas (and the pack you could get on your birthday)! Although, I do really like Ghirardelli, so at least it the tortilla factory wasn't replaced with something worse... MASECA!

Facebook | Zazzle site | Twitter | Redbubble

Comment

the tortillas were/are the best...
          "These are a few of my favorite things"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunTwaz View Post
            I was thumbing through Yesterland articles, nostalgic for Disneyland during this time of stay-at-home orders. I came across this memory of the original DCA with the weird smell of coffee. And I just wanted to chime in and correct the article a bit.

The article reports the smell was the coffee roasting because of this Baker’s Field Bakery. On opening day, the smell of coffee was intended to waft through the air as park guests entered the park. Hoping that it would make guests want a nice cup of hot coffee.

I love the old photos from the article. Makes me miss the former entrance of the CALIFORNIA letters a lot.

But I came here to report that the smell, like many other places in the Disneyland resort, was artificially pumped out. It was not a real smell because of roasting coffee beans.

A cast member recently told me the story of how great it smelled on Opening Day. The original smell was sweet, delicious hot coffee. But the next day, something in the machine overheated/burnt, the actually smell smelled like awful burnt coffee. The park officials did not decide to turn the smell machine off, for whatever strange reason, up until around the time of the installation of the Alice in Wonderland overlay in the Hollywood area.

So, while it would seem the smell went away with the Baker’s Field Bakery, it’s just coincidence. And now we’re left with just the memory of that not so wonderful coffee smell.

Missing Disneyland SO MUCH right now as I know all of you are too.

Anyone else remember any Yesterland details from that original DCA?? What do you miss most??

Personally, I miss fresh tortillas!
            So this the real story behind the story of how coffee smell so bad the 2nd day of the opening. I thought it was real coffee roasting and being overroasted hahahah. they got me LOL! Thanks mate for sharing what really happened. Still nostalgic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X