Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jan. 11, 2008: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan. 11, 2008: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1

This article presents six buildings at the Disney's California Adventure Park and the corresponding Los Angeles area buildings that inspired them.

Please discuss it here.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 01-10-2008, 11:53 PM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Jan. 11, 2008: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1

Great Part 1, Werner. I look forward to next week's Part 2.

I never really knew what building the facades in DCA's Backlot came from. The facade for Playhouse Disney makes sense for what originally occupied that space - the ABC Soap Opera Bistro. Pairing up the former ABC Radio/Studios building with the ABC Soap Opera restaurant in DCA was a nice touch. Too bad it didn't last long.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-11-2008, 07:25 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Re: Jan. 11, 2008: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1

These are great articles! I love seeing the comparisons and histories. Looking forward to the continuation next week.

Comment

I love this thread! My mom used to make hats at the Bullocks Wilshire!
        I want my cake back!
        sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed this article, and I can't wait for part 2.

Comment

Very cool thanks

Comment

I really enjoyed this article Werner, can't wait for part 2.
              I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean.
              You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket!

~The Vandals "Pirates Life"

Comment

Nice article as usual. I was really interested in the restrooms which I know are inspired by a Frank LLoyd Wright textile block house. I had been a little curious as to which house that is but I hadn't tried to look it up myself. Hopefully that will be featured in the next update...
                The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
                -Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                  I was really interested in the restrooms which I know are inspired by a Frank LLoyd Wright textile block house. I had been a little curious as to which house that is but I hadn't tried to look it up myself. Hopefully that will be featured in the next update...
                  Uncle Bob,

Alas, Part 2 on Friday, January 18, won't have anything about the Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired bathrooms. As you noted, they're clearly based on Frank Lloyd Wright's textile block houses of the 1920s.

However, as far as I can tell, the Imagineers designed the bathrooms bathrooms in the style of the textile block houses, but not patterned after any one single house.

When I first visited Disney's California Adventure in 2001, I had to smile when I saw the Frank Wright Lloyd bathrooms. This is a very clever product of Imagineering. There's nothing like it at the Studios park in Florida.

This is one exterior I hope they don't change as part of the billion dollar upgrade to Disney's California Adventure.
                  Werner Weiss
                  Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X