This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Economic downturn

Unlike most of Hong Kong now, Disney does not have any plans to lay off any employees. In fact, they have recently hired 600 new temporary staff for the Christmas and Chinese New Year Holidays.

The government and Disney are still talking about expansion and something should be released soon.

This came from TVBPearl newsbroadcast 30 November 2008.

Re: Economic downturn

Interesting. Good to know they are not laying off, since the park was pretty busy on saturday.

Comment

With news hopefully being released soon, Hong kong Disneyland should be in a good position in 2010-2011 which is about the same timeline that Disneyland resort Anaheim and Disneyland resort Paris should open up a few of its expansion plans.

Now all we need to see is if OLC will go ahead with its huge tomorrowland remodel and announced it Spring 2009 and that resort should also have something to brag about in 2010/2011.

Seems like its huge growth spurt in WDW has put it in the bad spot during this downturn and its plans have been placed on hold.

It will be nice to see Hong Kong Disneyland flourish

Comment

Interesting to see in these tough times that expansion is being discussed for all the parks except WDW. I guess this is a sign of just how much confidence Management have in any further potential growth for that Resort. Looks like DLR, DLRP and HKDL are where Management see's Disney Parks and Resorts future lie!
        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

News report in todays Los Angeles times talks about the huge anticipation for an announcement soon of a Shanghai Disneyland resort.

Everything points out to the positives for both Disney and China to move ahead right now with the deal. The economic downturn has made Shanghai the perfect location for a Disney resort.

Interviews with the locals have them extremely positive about the possibility of the givernment relocating them for a Disney park.

That announcement would most likely help push the expansion of the Hong Kong resort forward to so that by the time Shanghai opens in 2012 CHina has two stable resort properties.

Comment

I am not sure Shanghai is a good idea. I look at the Shanghai F1 race, when it first arrived in 2004 everybody thought it was wonderful. Today, merely five years later, it is being looked at as a white elephant that has passed its sell by date.
            Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
            Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
            Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
            Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
            Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
            Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
            Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

^^ I think Shanghai is an excellent financial decision long term. But unfortunately short-term I think it will take attention away from existing properties. HKDL will keep getting better with time but might have gotten better faster if it wasn't for Shanghai taking some of the focus off it.
              Down with the Hat

Comment

niether resort should be affected by the other or should it affect other resorts like Paris, WDW or Anaheim. Each of those Asian resorts have their own contractual obligations between Disney and the government that governs the area it is built on.

Comment

Just to chip in a bit.

I think long-term wise, HKDL maybe at disadvantage to SHDL in regards to financial input. I do see the the SHDL may, grow into a bigger park than HKDL long-term wise. Though, another worrying thing is the problem with some Chinese visitors that plagued HKDL, will surely be present in SHDL. Not sure I'd like to witness those scenes again ^_^""

Comment

What were those problems initially with Chinese visitors at HKDL?

Comment

They jump the lines, spit everywhere, pee without using the restrooms, talk extremely loudly, block the parade, lay on the benches, etc etc.

Here is a clip that a mainland Chinese kid who wore a polo shirt beating a HK kid
                      The mainland kid didn't agree with the HK kid that he had jumped the line so he beat the HK kid
                      Video Fun: ?????????????

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X