Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Space Mountain and Pooh HK

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Comment

Re: Space Mountain and Pooh HK

sometimes one wonders if the people in suits themselfes ever spent a day in their parks. HKDL is an empty egg with a gold painted shell

Comment

I honestly believe you are being too harsh Timmy. I was just there today and the parks was hopping with guests. The new year holiday entertainment was great and things were running smoothly. Again, I am not making excuses for the lack of some major rides, but still.. there is substance there. HKDL will get better and better as time goes on..and remember... I am a harsh critic and compare all the other resorts to TDR's excellence which is hard to beat.

Comment

Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM.

Comment

It is a clone lifted from WDW's MK, down to the Toad reference photo on the wall. The people at WDW are paying $80 a day to see the same crap and more similar to that.

there was a time when disneyland was something unique that impressed people. now we are getting closer and closer to a better looking sixflags... but without the thrills.
            Blame Disney for that. This is what happens when you build a DL park in every corner of the World.

I really wish I could love the park for more than the looks.
            Well, in fairness, I love the park not only for it's looks and location, but also for the differences it offers from the other DL parks and for the very unique special events they are hosting through the year. At WDW, you have to pay extra (after hours) hard ticket prices to enjoy similar events that guests at HKDL enjoy during regular daytime hours for much cheaper ticket prices. That alone redeems HKDL's other short comings in my book.

Comment

Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 02-04-2009, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I just had to paste this here...
                It made me think of the greatness of the HKDL pooh ride...

http://micechat.com/forums/tokyo-dis...-thoughts.html

"Pooh’s Hunny Hunt - - OK…here goes…WTF happened when these Pooh rides in the States were being built?!?!?! Honestly! Please, someone tell me what happened? I’d been told about it. I’ve read about it. I saw Youtube videos of it. Nothing prepared me for the happiness that is Pooh’s Hunny Hunt! I don’t even know where to begin! This ride is WONDERFUL! No painted plywood flats here; Real AA figures; Full sets; Ridiculous special effects. Perfect example of the TDR “more” that I was talking about. This attraction is MORE! This is the ride I always thought Disney rides were like. When I went on Indy Adventure at Disneyland for the first time, when I rode the new Space Mountain, nothing made me smile like Hunny Hunt did! I don’t even like Pooh, but the playfulness of this attraction is infectious! You exit not really knowing what just happened but wanting to do it all over again. We rode twice, both times with Fastpasses. This is one great attraction!! (And I don’t even think it’s the best at TDR!)"

Comment

It's easy to wax positive on the park now that everything is shiny and new, but the real test of quality will be in twenty or thirty years. WDW and Eurodisney also started out with high standards but those eventually declined. Also let's remember that all the free seasonal celebrations are only likely an effort to compensate for the severe lack of rides. They may easily go away or become extra-price items once there is a full roster of attractions.
                  Down with the Hat

Comment

Comment

Timmy, and you too SuperMatt.. should know the answer to your questions in regards to the Pooh rides.
                      Disney is simply not willing to invest that much money on building quality rides that push the envelope as Hunny Hunt did at TDL. OLC is willing and able. Disney is able but not willing. It's really that simple. Screw the US parks, while charging more admission on comparable 4-day passports to those offered internationally.
                      HKDL was just built cheap and that is why it suffers. It's amazing they were able to craft HKDL to look "that" nice considering the budgets. And I personally like the look of HKDL over the MK, but still... Disney has become cheap cheap cheap. Sadly, OLC is listening and taking notes and I fear for the future of TDR because I am beginning to see them make the same mistakes the WDC has done in the past decade.

Comment

While Hunny Hunt is the gold standard, I think there is a lot they could do with the other versions to improve them without necessarily using LPS technology. More advanced animatronics, higher quality materials, fewer 2D elements, more detailed sets, and a better color scheme would go a long way even without trackless vehicles. Also I think the storyline of the DL version works better than the MK / HKDL one.
                        Down with the Hat

Comment

Agree with you Tasman in every respect. I too seem to be in the minority that of the "lesser" Pooh rides.. the DL one is actually the better version.

Comment

^^ Well...there are elements of the DL ride I liked better...the setting in Critter Country, the flow of the story (the scenes with the flood, Pooh being inside the tree, and the celebration at the end are better incorporated into the narrative), and some of the effects (the effect of pooh "leaving" his body, and some elements of the dream sequence work better here). On the other hand...DL Pooh's sets are very sparsely detailed, the animatronics struck me as even more primitive than the ones at the MK (I may be wrong about that, but it was my first impression), and colors in scenes such as the opening looked rather unnatural...in these respects I liked the MK's version. Also I guess the MK's version has to get some slack since it was the original.
                            Down with the Hat

Comment

The only slack I give the MK version is how dirty and in need of maintenance ithas become. You can see dirt all over the bottom of the card board characters in the dream sequence..which is maginified tenfolds due to the black lighting. Simply horrible. At least the HKDL version, which is identical to the MK's, is cleaner and better maintained.

Comment

^^^ When stating that I would cut the MK's version some slack, I was referring to the storyline. I don't hold it against the MK's version that the DL version's storyline flows more smoothly (at least to me)...because DL's version came later and ideally should be an improvement on its predecessor. On the other hand HK's version came last and is for the most part a carbon copy of the MK's. Agree with you in regards to cleanliness / maintenance...but you have a better eye for those things than I do.
                                Down with the Hat

Comment

Comment

For the record.. Hunny Hunt was the 2nd Pooh ride built. Other than WDC being cheap, there was no excuse for the Pooh rides at DL and HKDL to be crap. I expect that low level of quality from WDW, but the other parks? No, it should not be like that.

Comment

Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 04-24-2009, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Disney thought they were in for smooth sailing after the success of TDL. No one in my school either likes or goes to HKDL as much as i do. even when i try to start a discussion on HKDL the other just nod away and pretend to be interested. They all say every Disney park is for kiddies. HKDL has had a bad influence on HK people. They dont believe me when i say TDL and TDS are not just for kiddies or that WDW, DLP and DLR are all ages orientated. grrrrrr it's so annoying to defend HKDL!

Comment

Originally posted by hkdlfan View Post
                                          Disney thought they were in for smooth sailing after the success of TDL. No one in my school either likes or goes to HKDL as much as i do. even when i try to start a discussion on HKDL the other just nod away and pretend to be interested. They all say every Disney park is for kiddies. HKDL has had a bad influence on HK people. They dont believe me when i say TDL and TDS are not just for kiddies or that WDW, DLP and DLR are all ages orientated. grrrrrr it's so annoying to defend HKDL!

Comment

Working...
                                          X