Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Expansion hits another snag

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Expansion hits another snag

    AP News : LimaOhio.com (Jul 4, 10:22 AM EDT)

    "Hong Kong lawmakers said Saturday they would be unwilling to approve a plan to expand the city's Disneyland unless the government and Walt Disney Co. tell them how the theme park has performed since it opened in 2005."

    "Scrutinizing the deal Saturday, lawmakers said the Hong Kong executive has not disclosed the park's attendance figures or told them how well it has performed in the more than three years since it opened. They said they needed to see more details of the expansion before they could vote Friday to approve or reject the plan.

    "We have to decide whether to approve the commitment of this large sum as equity for the expansion of the park, but we have been given very little information. This is really depressing," said pro-government lawmaker Starry Lee."

    Yikes.

  • #2
    Re: Expansion hits another snag

    Oh Boy :/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Expansion hits another snag

      Where's Batman when you need him?

      INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
      HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel


      FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
      ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
      FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Expansion hits another snag

        I knew it.

        But really, what business does a government have putting taxpayers' money into a theme park anyway?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Expansion hits another snag

          Originally posted by Noski View Post
          I knew it.

          But really, what business does a government have putting taxpayers' money into a theme park anyway?
          I don't know, there's a lot worse things they could spend the money on...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Expansion hits another snag

            Great work! I hope they stall it and that Disney and HKgovt change their minds about building a Toy Story Land.
            Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 07-04-2009, 07:11 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Expansion hits another snag

              are they going to negotiate over this for another 2 years?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Expansion hits another snag

                WDC should never again build a park where they are entangled with a govt in this manner. Though the arrangement in Shanghai must be similar...so never say never I guess.

                IMO they should just consider closing down the park before they invest more in it. If there is so much trouble in a medium sized expansion to this little park how are they ever going to expand the resort...including the second gate and other facilities? Is it worth the constant struggle?
                Down with the Hat

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Expansion hits another snag

                  Originally posted by Giraffe Lounge
                  "Hong Kong lawmakers said Saturday they would be unwilling to approve a plan to expand the city's Disneyland unless the government and Walt Disney Co. tell them how the theme park has performed since it opened in 2005."

                  "Scrutinizing the deal Saturday, lawmakers said the Hong Kong executive has not disclosed the park's attendance figures or told them how well it has performed in the more than three years since it opened. They said they needed to see more details of the expansion before they could vote Friday to approve or reject the plan.

                  "We have to decide whether to approve the commitment of this large sum as equity for the expansion of the park, but we have been given very little information. This is really depressing," said pro-government lawmaker Starry Lee."
                  Now I'm really depressing over this issue.

                  Fed up with HKDL.
                  My Web Site - RedBubble Site


                  ~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

                  Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

                  akaytrinity.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Expansion hits another snag

                    Looks like Legco is delaying expansion. If disney wants to speed up expansion just give them the figures. If you don't have them just make'em up

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Expansion hits another snag

                      Originally posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
                      Great work! I hope they stall it and that Disney and HKgovt change their minds about building a Toy Story Land.
                      Be careful what you wish for Timmy, they may come up with something worse, not better. Then you'll be dreaming fondly of that Carny land.


                      ImagineerWarrior

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Expansion hits another snag

                        Originally posted by tasman View Post
                        WDC should never again build a park where they are entangled with a govt in this manner. Though the arrangement in Shanghai must be similar...so never say never I guess.
                        Well that's the problem when you try to tap into a market that is not a free, open economy like the US. You don't get the type of freedom of movement you need without making deals with the devil.

                        Originally posted by tasman View Post
                        IMO they should just consider closing down the park before they invest more in it. If there is so much trouble in a medium sized expansion to this little park how are they ever going to expand the resort...including the second gate and other facilities? Is it worth the constant struggle?
                        Part of the problem with being Disney is.. you can't ever sell your park! It's not like a Six Flags or something where they would sell the real estate, send the rides off somewhere else, sell the rides, etc. Disney can't just sell the park lock stock and barrel - they'd have to either

                        - sell the park off to a licensee under strict control (like the OLC deal)
                        - dismantle, repurpose what you can somewhere else, and sell off the land

                        The later would be so ridiculously expensive.. it's a tough pill to swallow. When companies can use losses to offset taxes on other profits.. that's also more reason to let it bleed vs cutting it off. Very painful decisions..

                        But I agree... this AND shanghi really make me go 'huh'? The Disney product needs to be manipulated so much to penetrate these more developing, less-Western markets. Is it in their core competence to do so? I don't think so - so I wish they'd stop looking here for growth.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Expansion hits another snag

                          Originally posted by ImagineerWaryur View Post
                          Be careful what you wish for Timmy, they may come up with something worse, not better. Then you'll be dreaming fondly of that Carny land.


                          ImagineerWarrior
                          Well said. While Playland may seem a touch on the tacky side I'll take it over an empty expansion pad thats returning to nature any day.
                          sigpic

                          "We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
                          Walt Disney

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Expansion hits another snag

                            Its nothing The Oriental Land Company can't handle.
                            -Tyler

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Expansion hits another snag

                              I can't believe some people would be happy that the deal would stall. Anymore roblems with this expansin will affect the whole Disney company and future additions to all resorts. Just because one land is not up to peoples liking does not mean the whole expansion should suffer.

                              It will be interesting to see if this does stall and go nowhere what peoples attitudes will be once Shanghai opens and Hong kong does not see any growth.

                              all people need to do is see that the company reported that the high Paris attendance and growth was offset by the continued growth of the Hong Kong park. Anymore time wasted arguing whether the park should get expanded will only cause further problems company wide. The resorts to see the most affect will be Paris and Walt Disney World since Anaheim at the moment has its set budget for the next five years.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X