This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney Shanghai: Good for China, Bad for Hong Kong, BusinessWeek

This is almost exactly what I said in the other thread about Shanghai Disney and Hong Kong Disneyland a couple of days ago. I believed Shanghai would draw many more people than Hong Hong's park.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OC2Epcot View Post
      This is almost exactly what I said in the other thread about Shanghai Disney and Hong Kong Disneyland a couple of days ago. I believed Shanghai would draw many more people than Hong Hong's park.
      In principle, yes. Mainland chinese do not need a travel permit/visa to go to Shanghai. but you have to assume that they are crazy for Disney Theme Park,otherwise you might see something like what happens to most of their local theme parks in mainland China, that is, they wither and fade.

To call it a success, they need repeat business.
      Last edited by PennysBayChronicle; 11-06-2009, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post
        Yes, there is an agreement which states that Disney must build a second gate before a certain date, otherwise the phase 2 land will be used for something else.

Right now the phase 2 land is on offer for a 5 year lease and tenders are invited, since Disney definitely won't be using it in the next 5 and maybe even 10 years. There is still enough room for expansion in phase 1 for sometime to come...

The one thing that I think most HK people want to see is that the HK govt give up its share on HKDL. The govt simply is not up to running a business and the entire thing is better off in businessmen's hands, let them decide what is best for it in the future.

Ocean Park is run by a businessman, Allan Zemen, and he is doing great things with it, and he isn't even paid! I am sure there are other equally capable businessmen in HK to run Disneyland, just not the stupid govt.
        according to earlier news reported by local media, nobody is interested in the short term lease on the phase 2 site, I wonder what they are going to do with this vacant undeveloped land.

Why not use it for the 2nd gate ? open it on the 10th Anniversary of HKDL, that would be great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by HongKongDisneyland View Post
          according to earlier news reported by local media, nobody is interested in the short term lease on the phase 2 site, I wonder what they are going to do with this vacant undeveloped land.

Why not use it for the 2nd gate ? open it on the 10th Anniversary of HKDL, that would be great idea.
          The problem with a second gate so soon is that we will see a repeat of what happened in Paris. The main gate itself is not performing well enough to justify a second park, and the future of the resort is basically depending on the three-land expansion. I do not think they have the guests nor budget to support even the main park, let alone a second gate. If they had to leech money away from Hong Kong Disneyland for a second gate, you'd probably see something cheap like the Walt Disney Studios as a placeholder just so they can retain their rights to the land.
          Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
            The problem with a second gate so soon is that we will see a repeat of what happened in Paris. The main gate itself is not performing well enough to justify a second park, and the future of the resort is basically depending on the three-land expansion. I do not think they have the guests nor budget to support even the main park, let alone a second gate. If they had to leech money away from Hong Kong Disneyland for a second gate, you'd probably see something cheap like the Walt Disney Studios as a placeholder just so they can retain their rights to the land.
            And that would be disastrous, because at least in Paris, the first park was superb.

I don't see why the hurry. Anaheim didn't get a second park for 46 years and lucrative just the same. Tokyo waited 18 years and Tokyo at least was successful from the start. I would recommend all parties concerned to focus with making HKDL a stellar park like the original in Anaheim and not think about a second gate for another couple of decades.
            Down with the Hat

Comment

Originally posted by HongKongDisneyland View Post

Oh really? I don't remember seeing that report. Actually that would be quite surprising since the infrastructure is already there. It would be a good place for open air concerts or drive-in movies.

Second gate at this point is just too far away. The first gate isn't even complete even after the announced expansions. I don't see a second gate until maybe 2025, on the 20th anniversary.
              Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
              Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
              Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
              Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
              Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
              Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
              Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
              Working...
              X