Why is there no Pirates of the Carribean in HKDL?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrHatboxGhost
    Forgotten Spirit
    • Dec 2009

[Question] Why is there no Pirates of the Carribean in HKDL?

Why?
  • wumbology
    The Study of Wumbo
    • Dec 2009

Re: Why is there no Pirates of the Carribean in HKDL?

I believe it has something to do with the audience in China and also the government of China.

You know that China Government... :shy:
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

• Ice101
      Banned User
      • Aug 2008

Because the park was built on the cheap.

Comment

• tasman
        MiceChatter
        • Jul 2006

I believe both wumbology and Ice are correct...

Early concepts for HKDL do show a pirate ride, but the park was built very cheaply, thus opening with only one E-ticket (two if you consider the more elaborate Jungle Cruise to be worthy of that designation). Then, according to internet gossip...after the popularity of the Jack Sparrow films...there was a proposal to build an elaborate Pirates ride...but this was nixed by HK execs based on some vague cultural objections.
        Down with the Hat

Comment

• MrHatboxGhost
          Forgotten Spirit
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by tasman View Post
          I believe both wumbology and Ice are correct...

Early concepts for HKDL do show a pirate ride, but the park was built very cheaply, thus opening with only one E-ticket (two if you consider the more elaborate Jungle Cruise to be worthy of that designation). Then, according to internet gossip...after the popularity of the Jack Sparrow films...there was a proposal to build an elaborate Pirates ride...but this was nixed by HK execs based on some vague cultural objections.
          Aww thats sad, could you possibly show me the early concept?

Comment

• tasman
            MiceChatter
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
            Aww thats sad, could you possibly show me the early concept?
            They are just layouts. A year or two ago someone on Micechat posted a blueprint for HKDL which (as far as I recall) was on display at Epcot before the park was built, and which clearly showed the footprint of a Pirates ride (based on the shape of showbuilding) - roughly where the Toy Story carny rides are being built.

In the excellent new book "Walt Disney Imagineering - A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real" there is a different, clearly labeled concept map with the Pirates ride near where the Lion King show currently is.

A few years ago Disney released concept art for a whole land themed to Pirates. If my memory serves me right, the picture was entitled "Pirate Adventure" or something like that. This artwork was nonspecific, but many people on the net speculated that the elaborate Pirates ride rumored for HKDL (which would feature Jack Sparrow and a climactic drop akin to Splash Mt) could reside in land similar to the one in the artwork. Then nothing happened, and there were rumors that HK execs had raised certain unspecified cultural objections and nixed the idea.
            Last edited by tasman; 06-11-2010, 08:01 PM.
            Down with the Hat

Comment

• HKDLFAN
              MiceChat Round-Up Crew
              • Oct 2007

It was also the HK government, forcing HKDL to open early as i remember it in the newspapers.

Comment

• Malin
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

POTC from my understanding would of taken the entire expansion budget. So it was dropped in favour of the other three mini lands. Shame but all hope is now on Shanghai accepting the attraction. If Disney and the Shanghai Govement can agree to fund the project. Hopely they can as it will be a huge middle finger to Hong Kong who turned down the idea several times.
                Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                  Iron-Clad Allie
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                  POTC from my understanding would of taken the entire expansion budget. So it was dropped in favour of the other three mini lands. Shame but all hope is now on Shanghai accepting the attraction. If Disney and the Shanghai Govement can agree to fund the project. Hopely they can as it will be a huge middle finger to Hong Kong who turned down the idea several times.
                  I think it's more likely that Shanghai Disneyland will get something more economical...such as a

Pirates Lair At Toy Story Mini Land.
                  To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

• iluvHKDL
                    Former CM
                    • Jun 2008

It has NOTHING to do w/ cultural differences. The POTC series are very popular here in Hong Kong. I believe it was the government of HK, which always wanted to cut budget.

Yearly Box Office of Hong Kong:
                    Rank
                    26 The Curse of the Black Pearl (don't forget there's SARS throughout the year)
                    2 Dead Man's Chest
                    4 At World's End
                    Last edited by iluvHKDL; 06-12-2010, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• HKDLFAN
                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                      Wow, didn't know that. I guess if i had the choice, i would too add the three lands instead because theres 1) more area so newspapers can stop calling HKDL small 2) Theres more rides (2 GREAT ones and 3 okayish average ones). I think Disney decided that they wanted people to stay at the park longer (or even 2 days) as crowds are very low at night in comparison to daytime. And also of course you get much more guests at the park if you add three lands rather than just one attraction.

Comment

• ShadowIDL
                        New MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by HKDLFAN View Post
                        Wow, didn't know that. I guess if i had the choice, i would too add the three lands instead because theres 1) more area so newspapers can stop calling HKDL small 2) Theres more rides (2 GREAT ones and 3 okayish average ones). I think Disney decided that they wanted people to stay at the park longer (or even 2 days) as crowds are very low at night in comparison to daytime. And also of course you get much more guests at the park if you add three lands rather than just one attraction.
                        Agree, having two unique E-ticket is better than one.

I've never believed that cultural difference is a reason for not building PotC. First, the movie is actually very popular in HK. Second, HK gov is not shy to promote the 'tiny' pirate cave in one of the islands as a tourist spot. That would be contradicting... I rather believe that the gov think that the current decision is more effective. This also solve two main problems HKDL facing which suggested by the local critics: not having unique attraction and too small.

It rumored that the lower left hand corner of HKDL is left empty, because it is the purposed land to build PotC and they plan to build it back there someday. I really hope this would be true. May be we can get it by asking HKDL, like what the Floridan did...

Comment

• MrHatboxGhost
                          Forgotten Spirit
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ShadowIDL View Post
                          Agree, having two unique E-ticket is better than one.

I've never believed that cultural difference is a reason for not building PotC. First, the movie is actually very popular in HK. Second, HK gov is not shy to promote the 'tiny' pirate cave in one of the islands as a tourist spot. That would be contradicting... I rather believe that the gov think that the current decision is more effective. This also solve two main problems HKDL facing which suggested by the local critics: not having unique attraction and too small.

It rumored that the lower left hand corner of HKDL is left empty, because it is the purposed land to build PotC and they plan to build it back there someday. I really hope this would be true. May be we can get it by asking HKDL, like what the Floridan did...
                          That would be nice if they did build it. I dont even live in Hong Kong but I still think its unfair for them not to build one of the most, if not, the most popular Disney ride ever. Oh, and not to dis WDW but their version of PotC is awful; yeah so there isnt a long hill at the end...but its still the worst version of the ride IMO

Comment

• Malin
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2005

I tried to find you some detail I had seen previously on it. But unfortunately I can find it now. But yeah the whole Pirates land area was to much money. still like you point out Disney Fans still got a fantastic deal out of the expansion with two brand new and unique to Hong Kong Disneyland E Ticket attractions. I'm not to bothered with the Toy Story Land stuff and I do still have concerns about how visable Toy Soldiers Parachute Jump and RC Racer are going to be in other areas of the park. But still a new coaster with AA Bears and a brand new dark ride will make up for this and provide something for everyone at this park.
                            Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• clippers6
                              MiceChatter
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by ShadowIDL View Post
                              I've never believed that cultural difference is a reason for not building PotC. First, the movie is actually very popular in HK. Second, HK gov is not shy to promote the 'tiny' pirate cave in one of the islands as a tourist spot. That would be contradicting...
                              There a small town not far from HKDL that used to be frequented by pirates who smuggling contraband.

Tai O Fishing Village with Stilt-house - Hong Kong Tourism Board

My friend and I went there during out HK trip. We didn't see any of the pirate stuff, but we did stumble upon an abandoned police station in the middle of the jungle complete with creepy boiler room and holding cells. It'd be neat if they could tie it into local culture and Sao Feng (Chow Yun-Fat's character).

Comment

• iluvHKDL
                                Former CM
                                • Jun 2008

I believe the pirate cave that Shadow's talking about is the Cheung Po Tsai Cave which is located on Cheung Chau Island.

Cheung Chau Island - Hong Kong Tourism Board

Comment

• clippers6
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Apr 2010

Thats not all that far from HKDL either. There's also the town of Mui Wo where old anti-pirate defenses are still visible. I guess we just disproved the whole HK audiences aren't familiar with pirates excuse.

Comment

• Magic Lamp
                                    Dreamer
                                    • Sep 2009

Hong Kong is in the South China Sea, silly. :ap:

Comment

• SorcererHero5571
                                      Sorcerer in Training
                                      • Jun 2010

I believe that they could've fit in a pirate land nicely, too bad it got axed
                                      YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
                                      -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
                                      -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
                                      -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
                                      -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
                                      -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
                                      -SorcererHero5571

Comment

• Brisal73
                                        • May 2005

Ran into this

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X