This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Going to HKDL and Ocean Park this week

I will be visiting HKDL thursday and Ocean Park Halloween event on friday. Any advice? It will be my first time in Hong Kong and I will be completing my tour of the worldwide Disney parks.

I am going to Taiwan after too.

Comment

Re: Going to HKDL and Ocean Park this week

honestly, purely for avoiding the ocean park crowds, if i were you i'd do ocean park on thurs and disney on fri.

for ocean park, get there early, around 4:30 or 5 or so as they let you in early even though the haunted houses don't open until 5:30, u can line-up before then. generally longest line-ups are for zombie hunt (laser tag) and the 2 houses in the far back (pang's child eye and terror park) so those places are good places to start. also, if you're in a rush, take the tram up the mountain instead of the cable car as that takes a bit longer. you can read my trip report for houses i thought stood out. also, don't bother with standard ocean park rides, as other ppl have put it, it's pretty damn aweful.

for disney, i'd buy full day pass and just enjoy your day as rarely any lineups. the 2 haunted houses start operation at 2 so i'd check them out before 6-7 pm when the crowds start piling up for them. after the night parade the line can get up to a few hours.

enjoy your trip.

Comment

As for Ocean Park, I used to love going there, especially because of Atoll Reef. However, the last time I went, it was on a Monday or a Tuesday, and the different places are jampacked with so many tourists from the mainland.

If you don't like seeing animals in enclosures, then don't go to OP. If you have no problems with that, then go ahead.

The fish don't seem to be the issue, but the dolphins don't seem particularly well-taken care of, imho. So it might be best if you skip that one.

I think the Panda enclosure is rather beautiful, especially the Red Pandas, which I've seen in zoos around the world, but only really appreciated them in OP. The ones I saw were so energetic, and played and scampered around.

Rides are really not worth it as TimmyTimmyTimmy mentioned. There's little decent themeing. I think the lines are too long for what you experience, but the view is something else. The coasters are extra thrilling because of the cliffs and sea. However, like I said, go on a bad day, and you might not enjoy it at all because of the crowds.

Food is not so good, so might be best to buy from McDonalds. The park is not that well-designed, since it's on a mountain, so be prepared to do a lot of walking. Half my time there is usually spent figuring out where things are. The maps are poorly designed, I think, and are incomprehensible if you enter from the Tai Shue Wan entrance, that's the one by the side of the sea. It would be best if you entered from the Main Entrance. That's on the Waterfront side.

HKDL is a half-day park for most people. However, enthusiasts get the most out of it. If you love SpaceMountain, you can spend the whole day riding that. Just avoid the chicken and burgers at Tomorrowland, they were pretty bland. Even more so than usual for theme park food.

Comment

Originally posted by SirEdge View Post
          Just avoid the chicken and burgers at Tomorrowland, they were pretty bland. Even more so than usual for theme park food.
          No way. The burgers in TL are so juicy and yummy. Maybe you went during the first year but even then I would say HKDL has one of the best burgers in HK.

Comment

The fruit slushy frozen snow things they sell everywhere are kind of gross, and if it is anything like it was when i visited, the lines are much shorter on the peak rides than they are at the mine train area ones, oh and yes its sad for the pandas, but the enclosure is 5 - stars compared to those i saw in mainland china

Comment

Yeah, the burger I ate was when it was still new.

I tried the chicken last year, I didn't like it. This year, I'm deciding where to eat. Any suggestions, HKDLFAN? I usually eat TL because I usually end up there during dinner time.

Originally posted by HKDLFAN View Post
              No way. The burgers in TL are so juicy and yummy. Maybe you went during the first year but even then I would say HKDL has one of the best burgers in HK.

Comment

As for Ocean Park, I used to love going there, especially because of Atoll Reef. However, the last time I went, it was on a Monday or a Tuesday, and the different places are jampacked with so many tourists from the mainland.
                This was my experience as well. We actually got stuck in the Atoll Reef because there were so many people jammed in there and it was starting to really scare me! I don't think I saw a single fish since it was wall-to-wall pushy people and no air conditioning (in July!) I didn't mind the panda exhibit and the one panda that was out on display was really active, which was great to see.

Hong Kong is wonderful! We had an excellent time visiting there. (My 12 year old is standing over my shoulder nodding and saying, "That was a really, really good trip!") HKDL is tiny, but immaculate. I do wish we'd had another day to go back and explore more, so I guess we'll have to go back again someday! We also hit the Big Buddha and The Peak, and don't forget to take the Star Ferry to get a skyline shot from the other side of the harbor. Since we stayed with friends, we got to just hang out and do everyday kinds of stuff with them, too, like going to the cleaners, but it's just cool to be out walking around and seeing the shops, the markets, and the people.
                A signature should go here.

Comment

I tried the chicken last year, I didn't like it. This year, I'm deciding where to eat. Any suggestions, HKDLFAN? I usually eat TL because I usually end up there during dinner time.
                  There are many decent places to eat other than Starliner Diner at HKDL. My personal favorite has been Royal Banquet Hall because it serves pasta, curry, non fast food burgers and pizzas at a VERY value price and at the same time being very tasty. Sushi and Dim Sum is also available. IF you want to eat Indian, you can go to Tahitian Terrace, Chinese is offered at nearly every other restaurant lol. But stick to Royal Banquet Hall in my opinion.

IASW Ice Cream shop is a really good place to snack, it has the BEST ice cream in Hong Kong. Its pure French Vanilla and so.....tasty. They also have waffles available.

Comment

Oh yeah, for some reason, I love markets around Sham Shui Po. You'll pass it on the MTR.

I'm not sure if it's what you call tourist-friendly, but it has certainly grown over past few years. What I like about it, is it's not that tourist-y. I stumbled across a really good sushi place there with some of the strongest wasabi I have ever had.

Oh yeah, as for food, if there are a lot of people eating there, it's probably good.

Comment

Oh yeah, for some reason, I love markets around Sham Shui Po. You'll pass it on the MTR.

I'm not sure if it's what you call tourist-friendly, but it has certainly grown over past few years. What I like about it, is it's not that tourist-y. I stumbled across a really good sushi place there with some of the strongest wasabi I have ever had.

Oh yeah, as for food, if there are a lot of people eating there, it's probably good.
                      Sham Shui Po is awesome! and food in HK is absolutely great!
                      Damn I miss HK...

Comment

have a good time dude
                        I am traveling now.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X