Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Radiation reached Hong Kong / HKDL?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Did the Radiation reached Hong Kong / HKDL?

Hi, me and my family already book a flight to Hong Kong for a trip next week. I've just heard the news that the radiation already reached China. Please. So I can cancel the trip if there's any problems.
    ( Which will disappoint my child and family ) Thank You.
    Sorry for grammar mistakes! I'm not really good in English!

Re: Did the Radiation reached Hong Kong / HKDL?

As far as i have heard, radiation is NOT anywhere near Hong Kong. I just checked the HK government page and theres no indication of any radiation.

Comment

I've heard the news said some of the radiation reached HK, but the amount is very very very very little. I don't know how to say it by my poor English, but the government said that doesn't affect human's health.

Comment

Its very unlikely you will be allowed to cancel without loosing your money. Right now there are no travel restrictions in place around Hong Kong.

Its quite possible China has seen a spike in radiation levels. Here in the UK we have also seen a spike and we are thousands of miles away from Japan. But the level remains safe to humans and is of no real concern. Your upcoming family trip to Hong Kong should be fine and I hope you have a fantastic time.

whaleatcoast I'm british and I would say your English is better than mine.
        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

ORDDU: My sisters and I would advise you to go and have a good time. The radiation has traveled around the world and even settled in America, from what we've read. But the amount you're exposed to, supposedly, isn't as harmful as it is in Japan.

ORWEN: It's so sad what's going on since the earthquake and tidal waves. I hope the Japanese ducklings are rescued--somehow--from their terrible situations. Everybody else needs to count their blessings after hearing what's going one over there.

Comment

You will be perfectly fine. As Witches of Morva said, the radiation has pretty much traveled the globe at this point. Anywhere more than 20 miles from the Fukushima Daiichi plant though and it isn't at dangerous levels (with a few short lived spikes still very close to the 20 mile range).You will be perfectly fine in Hong Kong. There is no danger to you or your family from visiting the Disney Resort there. Here is why:

The normal background radiation levels (from naturally occurring sources that have nothing to do with human activities) are between 0.06 and 0.10 micro Sieverts an hour in Hong Kong. The lowest does linked to any sort of danger is 0.01 milli Sieverts an hour. That means you would have to get a dose 6,000 times greater than the normal levels of radiation naturally occurring in Hong Kong for it to be dangerous.

This link is to a real-time radiation monitoring map for Hong Kong. It updates hourly and gives the current hourly dose rate at various locations around Hong Kong.
            Ambient Gamma Radiation Level in Hong Kong

As you can see a few of the stations are a little above background levels (0.13, 0.14, 0.12, 0.11). The highest of these is still 4,600+ times smaller than the lowest level linked to any sort of danger. There is no danger posed to you in Hong Kong.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

HK is as far from Tokyo as the entire length of the USA. No chance of radiation.

Comment

http://lucienhuisstede.nl/images/hong kong.jpg
                Last edited by dland_lover; 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM. Reason: Removed hotlinked picture, per board policy

Comment

ORDDU: I'll bet it IS a lot of fun--especially if one gets to go there with you, Timmy!

ORWEN: Not to forget a lot of other ducklings like HKDLFAN, whom it would be nice to go there with!!

ORGOCH: Got reservations???

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X