This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Trip Thoughts

Well you have to give the Park some kudos for trying. But it still is just a wasteland. And it's gonna need more than the three new attractions/Lands to make it worthy. Someone *really did a number on this place and the lack of budget shows. Although it is well maintained and easy on the eyes. Not as beautiful as Paris (can be), but it does have it's magical theming-but lacks substantial attractions. I do feel like management is trying to do the best that they can without any huge substantial investment, current expansion construction aside, *which shows and I give them props for that. I do wish it had a bigger castle as this one just gets lost against the massive real mountainscape. That's probably my only complaint visually.

While I didn't expect anything new since the last time I visited five years ago, I was hoping to be surprised. I wasn't, but still glad i went. There's just no need to come back for several years. While the Halloween festivities were interesting they were just okay. The Glow in the Dark Parade is odd. It starts off with a bang and then goes down from there until it perks up at the end. The music is odd-but i have to admit catchy afterwards. *And the haunted houses were, well okay-I may have lost a lot of it with the language difference. But they had good stories and there were a few frights.*

Mainstreet looked cool in its Halloween lights and the castle was beautifully lit at night with its (still) 5th Anniversary decor.*

So glad that I booked the Disneyland Hotel (thanks for the advice) as I walked to/from the Park on my own. Waiting for that crowded shuttle bus was nuts. It's a nice ten minute stroll along the promenade with Disney music as ambiance.*

I was there for a day and a half and that was more than enough time. Heck, one day would have been fine. Crowds were light but annoying as there was a lot of line jumping and personal space invasion. Lots of flash photography taking place and many show interruptions to tell people to sit or keep their body parts inside vehicles...Which fell on deaf ears so the announcements were repeated over and over often disrupting the experience.*

Small World was new for me and enjoyable. Very beautiful at night. And Space Mtn Ghost Galaxy was entertaining. Although my most favorite of all the (what are there 5?) attractions was Jungle Cruise. There was something seriously lost in the translation and it made it for hysterical basicness. No hokey jokes like in the States, just basic things pointed out along the way, "look a gorilla who eats bananas" or "see the zebras, giraffes and lions" while the skipper thought what they were saying was funny. My favorite was the skipper pointing out " here's momma elephant, baby elephant, brother elephant and daddy elephant. They all like to play water with you" and then everyone in the boat would duck so they wouldn't get sprayed. Made me laugh both times I did it.*

As for merchandise - well it suffers from the US Parks ideals-same stuff in every shop. But every now and then you'd find an article left over from the 5th Anniversary which was a jewel only because it was different. And on sale at 50 percent off. Otherwise, I wasn't impressed like I was at TDR.

If you are staying onsite, I highly recommend taking a taxi. So easy. And cheap-probably the most economical expenditure of the trip. Green or blue there (approx 115 HKD) and then red (approx 120 HKD) from hotel to airport (which can be pre arranged at hotel).

If you haven't gone, go... but not as it's own destination. Do it as another sight to see while in Hong Kong. Or solely to check it off the Disney Parks list. I used it as a layover coming from Tokyo Disney (what culture shock). This was my second trip *to the Park but I won't be going back until I probably stop by on my way home from Shanghai's opening or there's something spectacular to see that's new.

I'll give photobucket a try and post some pics soon.*

Re: Trip Thoughts

Great to read a trip report without pictures of children hugging characters.

It is very rare that I can say that I agree to a 100% with what has been written. But when it comes to HKDL it is very hard not to have the same opinion as the one stated in the trip report.

The additions that the pak is getting the next few years will not make it as good as the others. It will bring standards up to a nwely built Disneyland. But we have to remember that it is not newly built anymore. It is 6 years old but still lacking many of the things needed to be seen as a real Disneyland. The 3 new lands are not even close to what a land is in another Disneyland. Another thing that is very questionable is the layout of the new lands.

Even if they added one or two brand new unique E-tickets in addition to the new lands that are being built the park would still suffer from something that in my eyes is a more basic and major fault... the tiny castle infront of those huge mountains. It just looks really wrong.

Thanks for the post. Hope Disney reads it.

Comment

My only visit to Hong Kong Disneyland, so far, was also a stop after a weeklong stay in Tokyo. I do agree, it is not worth the visit on it's own.

I do like however, the way the mountains frame the castle when looking down Main Street. I have no complaints on the castle's size in that regard.

Comment

And I must add, that my biggest disappointment with this Park, was while I was on The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, one of the few attractions in Fantasyland, I could clearly, and I mean clearly see the sound speakers behind the display. I couldn't believe it, I didn't even have to search them out. There they were, about all six of them, right behind the figures in the rainy day scene. At least they were black, but still that wrecked the illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by GUYNYC View Post
          And I must add, that my biggest disappointment with this Park, was while I was on The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, one of the few attractions in Fantasyland, I could clearly, and I mean clearly see the sound speakers behind the display. I couldn't believe it, I didn't even have to search them .
          I don't remember seeing them. If you were to say that
          that was your biggest dissapointment, it actually makes the park sound good.

I was amused that they took an on ride photo. Had to buy that!

Comment

ORDDU: Isn't it the Hong Kong Government that is to blame for HKDL's short comings, rather than the Disney Company--this time around? Correct a witch if she is wrong but this is what I have read thus far. Well, it's supposedly true that Paul Pressler felt that the original Disneyland had too many attractions, too, so it would be fair to assume that he was responsible for such a small roster of rides in the beginning. But since then isn't it actually the Hong Kong government we can point the long, skinny finger at?

Comment

When I visited HKDL last summer, I was disappointed by their merchandise. I was expecting to buy some of the Resort's CDs and DVDs like TDR. But there was none! Plus, why are so many people at HKDL were cutting lines?

The parade is amazing, though!
              Sorry for grammar mistakes! I'm not really good in English!

Comment

NOTHING unique worth to mention about HKDL at all. Walking there makes one realize that when building the park the money must have been spent on bribes and not rides.

Let me just add that the castle will look extra stupid after they open the one in Shanghai Disneyland.

---------- Post added 10-31-2011 at 04:57 AM ----------

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                ORDDU: Isn't it the Hong Kong Government that is to blame for HKDL's short comings, rather than the Disney Company--this time around? Correct a witch if she is wrong but this is what I have read thus far. Well, it's supposedly true that Paul Pressler felt that the original Disneyland had too many attractions, too, so it would be fair to assume that he was responsible for such a small roster of rides in the beginning. But since then isn't it actually the Hong Kong government we can point the long, skinny finger at?
                Disney should have had demands on higher standards on the rides in the park when making the deals about building the HKDL.

---------- Post added 10-31-2011 at 04:59 AM ----------

Originally posted by switttdrfan View Post
                When I visited HKDL last summer, I was disappointed by their merchandise. I was expecting to buy some of the Resort's CDs and DVDs like TDR. But there was none! Plus, why are so many people at HKDL were cutting lines?

The parade is amazing, though!
                That is a cultural issue. We have the same problem with guests from certain places in Europe when viseting DLP and it will be more obvious when Shanghai Disneyland opens. There will be ALOT of line surfing in that place... trust me.
                Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 10-31-2011, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
                  NOTHING unique worth to mention about HKDL at all. Walking there makes one realize that when building the park the money must have been spent on bribes and not rides.

Let me just add that the castle will look extra stupid after they open the one in Shanghai Disneyland.

---------- Post added 10-31-2011 at 04:57 AM ----------

Disney should have had demands on higher standards on the rides in the park when making the deals about building the HKDL.

---------- Post added 10-31-2011 at 04:59 AM ----------

That is a cultural issue. We have the same problem with guests from certain places in Europe when viseting DLP and it will be more obvious when Shanghai Disneyland opens. There will be ALOT of line surfing in that place... trust me.
                  Actually, Fantasyland has only 2 REAL rides. Pooh and IASW. Without Peter Pan or Snow White, the land seems incomplete for me. Plus, the banner at The Golden Mickey's Queue looks very ugly and cheap! ( I don't count Phillarmagic as rides )
                  Sorry for grammar mistakes! I'm not really good in English!

Comment

Philharmagic is one of people's favorite attractions at both the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World and now in Tokyo Disneyland. So would definitely count it alongside Pooh and Small World.

Hey, GUYNYC--a bunch of us from doombuggies.com are planning a trip for the opening of Shanghai Disneyland, with stops at Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland. Hop on over to doombuggies.com if you're interested.
                    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

ORWEN: What about me? I wanna' come, too!

ORGOCH: Fergit it. Those folks wanna' have a good time an' don't wanna' hear a bunch a dumb stories follered by a bunch a dumb questions! Aside from that they don't wanna' have ta worry that some over-stuffed witch is gonna' be eatin' all their food an' taking up all their space when there ain't 'nuff room fer ya's ta begin with!

ORWEN: Was I talking to you, old biddy?

ORGOCH: No, but I'm a talkin' ta yerself!! Stay away from folks that wanna' have a good time 'cause all yer good fer is ruinin' things like good times!

(Sounds of smacking and whackings followed by low moans and groans...)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X