This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Snow White's Scary Adventures

Dose anyone know what WDI is planning on doing with Snow White's Scary Adventures? It seems like a shame to rip out a perfectly good working ride and have no plan for its pieces. Are elements getting placed in the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train? Maybe they can just move the entire ride to HKDL; it would be cheap and HKDL's Fantasyland despirately needs more attractions and this seems like a sensible option to increase capacity. What do you guys think?

Re: Snow White's Scary Adventures

I've always advocated the idea of turning HKDL's Fantasyland into a retirement home for rides & other attractions that have been given the relieved of their duties.

However, this might hold true imo for many rides, Snow White's might be one of those rides I might not be 100% behind. Because if Shanghai does indeed get the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, HKDL is going to look like the poor middle child who gets the second hand toys from the older brother.

Mind that I would welcome any dark ride to HKDL, it's just that right now it seems imo that the HK gov't would be too proud to accept hand-me-downs, but too cheap to actually invest more.

Comment

ORWEN: I would love it if HKDL got a Snow White's dark ride. In Florida, I've heard that the Dwarf roller coaster won't have anything more than a cameo appearance by Snow White--if that!!! It's supposedly going to focus more on the dwarves and, even then, it sounds like they won't be seen that much either!!!

ORDDU: Sometimes it seems as though current Disney wants to promote more rollercoaster type rides instead of richly themed dark rides. But rollercoasters, alone, won't attract as many guests. Six Flags type rides don't seem to be as popular as Disney or Universal, which traditionally have much more to offer guests that go way beyond thrill rides. Disney seems to be reluctant to do much more with animatronic figures and dark rides these days--except for the Little Mermaid attraction.

ORWEN: I think HKDL was originally supposed to get a Little Mermaid attraction for their opening day before somebody else came along and cut it from the list. But there's room for it, still, right next to Toy Story Playland. Let's hope they get that soon!

Comment

The HK Government's position is that HKDL should have new and unique rides that foreign visitors will want to come and see. HK govt do not want lots of cloned/dis-continued rides from other DLs around the world.

If we keep getting new rides of the quality of Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mountain Coaster then I am happy to wait a while.

Looking at the pictures of the soon to open Toy Story Land, I actually feel that it is better than I had imagined it to be. There is some quality in there and I feel it is going to attract lots of people.
        Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
        Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
        Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
        Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

ORDDU: Which is rather odd, considering that Toy Story Playland is a clone, too! So, if the Hong Kong Government is going to have that philosophy that they don't want clones, they aren't being very consistent. Even the Grizzly Gulch Mine Train is nothing more than Big Thunder Mountain with a slightly different theme. Mystic Manor goes a bit further in being the first true unique ride.
          Last edited by Witches of Morva; 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I actually wonder how much of a "clone" Big Grizzly Mountain will be. Of course, it won't be a clone per se, but definitely it's a love child of BTM, EE, & GRR.

Having never been on Expedition Everest, I would like to ask if its track layout is similar to BGM? You know, in the same way Indiana Jones and Dinosaur share the same track layout?

Last edited by SirEdge; 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

As far as I can tell, BGM's track layout is wholly unique -- it's not a copy of another coaster, whether in a Disney park or elsewhere. The backwards segment of BGM, which is an element that's also present in EE, is executed completely differently than in EE.

While BGM isn't a clone of BTMRR any more than EE is a clone of the Matterhorn, there's definitely a slight feeling of derivativeness to BGM -- it shares a general theme (Western) and backdrop (mountains) with BTMRR, and a specific shading to that theme with GRR. It also has elements that are present in other Disney coasters -- a backwards segment (EE) and a launch (RnR; California Screamin').

While I would have been a bit more excited to see an entirely new theme to this coaster (say, a true fantasy theme or a non-IJ adventure theme), I'm pretty satisfied with the direction they ended up going. The special coaster elements -- especially the launch -- seem to be integrated into the coaster's theme in a way that's organic and makes sense. And the launch occurring midway through the ride is also a departure from how most launched coasters are set up.

Finally, I like the fact that the walkway will literally go over parts of the track layout in a way that really integrates the coaster into the land as a whole, rather than just being set off to the side as with most other coasters. Grizzly Gulch looks like it'll be very kinetic and exciting, even for those who opt not to ride BGM. (I do wonder whether there are concerns about people dropping things onto the track from overhead...)

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                ORDDU: Which is rather odd, considering that Toy Story Playland is a clone, too! So, if the Hong Kong Government is going to have that philosophy that they don't want clones, they aren't being very consistent. Even the Grizzly Gulch Mine Train is nothing more than Big Thunder Mountain with a slightly different theme. Mystic Manor goes a bit further in being the first true unique ride.
                WDC did promise Toy Story Land would be exclusive in Asia to HKDL, that means Shanghai will not get it, which is a big thing locally. (The HK public is still upset that HK govt did not sign a China-exclusive contract with WDC. Some in HK are thinking that HKDL will be demolished when SHDL opens.) Given also that Toy Story is a huge movie franchise and the rides are thrilling, which HKDL lacks, so HK govt bought it.

HKDL has managed to find local partners like Bossini (casual wear) and Harbour City (shopping mall) to promote the land, as well as famous local artist Joey Yung. It is no small thing.

I still think TSL is going to be the profit driver that will make HKDL financially independent.
                Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
                Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
                Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
                Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
                Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
                Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
                Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

Actually Imagineers want to add dark rides that the local audience want. According to this interview http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...hree-with.html. So I guess there could eventually be a Snow White ride in Hong Kong.
                  "I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained" - Walt Disney

Comment

IMHO, the Scary Adventures ride was never that good. My preference among fairytale rides would be for the original concept of the Little Mermaid ride, which had the suspended "Peter Pan" vehicles and which featured a better climax than the current ride at DCA (a video of this version of the ride, released by Disney, can be found on Youtube and other places). Especially since HKDL does not have Peter Pan, and since the Little Mermaid is perhaps better known to contemporary audiences than Snow White, I think this would be better choice.
                    Down with the Hat

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X