Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

Third hotel officially announced

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Third hotel officially announced

Disney & More blog is reporting that the name of the new hotel will be the Disney Explorers' Lodge.
    Last edited by Hathaway Browne; 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM. Reason: correcting the typo.
    sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Comment

Disney Explorers' Lodge

Comment

Yes, well spotted. Had 'hotel' on the mind when I was typing.
        sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
        Walt Disney

Comment

Just found the website of the design firm working on the new hotel. It also designed the TDL hotel.
          KNA Design : Home

Comment

【政情】官場埋怨吳亮星剪布愈剪愈長

The hotel is still waiting for HK govt's financial approval. It is nothing to do with the plan or anything, it is just the filibustering of some of the radical democrats that led to the delay. Other projects like the new incinerator's funding is also being held up.

If the funding is not approved before the summer break (July), then the project could suffer some delays.
            Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
            Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
            Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
            Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
            Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
            Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
            Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

I still don't get why a theme park that attracted 7.4 million guests last year needs third hotel. They should build the second theme park first. People only stay at a hotel if there is a multi-day experience, which is not always the case for people visiting HKDL. To compare the other Disney resorts with 2 parks, DLR has 3 hotels for 20.7 million guests, TDL/TDS have 3 Disney owned hotels for 31.3 million guests, and DLP/WDS have 7 hotels for 14.9 million guests (but their attendance was higher and has been plummeting).

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer45 View Post
                I still don't get why a theme park that attracted 7.4 million guests last year needs third hotel. They should build the second theme park first. People only stay at a hotel if there is a multi-day experience, which is not always the case for people visiting HKDL. To compare the other Disney resorts with 2 parks, DLR has 3 hotels for 20.7 million guests, TDL/TDS have 3 Disney owned hotels for 31.3 million guests, and DLP/WDS have 7 hotels for 14.9 million guests (but their attendance was higher and has been plummeting).
                It really doesn't have much to do with the Park's admission numbers. Simply is the two current hotels are at and extremely high occupancy rate year round. A third will be the same, and they are cash cows for HKDL

Comment

I still don't get why a theme park that attracted 7.4 million guests last year needs third hotel.

TDL/TDS have 3 Disney owned hotels for 31.3 million guests.
                  Two things, first as bigglesworth003 said, HKDL's two hotels are near capacity and it is big business for HKDL to make one more hotel.

Second, you said TDR has only 3 Disney-owned hotels, that's true, but there are 5 more official hotels on site and numerous good neighbour hotels nearby. Same for DLR, lots of people stay in nearby hotels actually. HKDL has no other hotels on site. There is only one good neighbour hotel in Discovery Bay and it is still half an hour's drive away and you cannot drive to Discovery Bay (bus and ambulance only).

Comment

If someone stays in a hotel to visit a Disney Park, if the stays in a Disney hotel, Disney makes more money. That is why WDW guest revenue is huge per guests compared to any other resort. At WDW they stay onsite and Disney gets the hotel revenue, and since they aren't leaving to get to their hotel they get revenue from selling 3 meals per day. That is why WDW has free transportation from the Orlando airport, so they can capture the guests. Captive Customers means more revenue because you sell them necessities and can charge more.

This is why Shanghai is building hotels right off the bat as did HKDL, DLP,TDL, and WDW after Disney made the mistake building DL with no hotels.
                    Be Cool Stay in School!
                    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                      If someone stays in a hotel to visit a Disney Park, if the stays in a Disney hotel, Disney makes more money. That is why WDW guest revenue is huge per guests compared to any other resort. At WDW they stay onsite and Disney gets the hotel revenue, and since they aren't leaving to get to their hotel they get revenue from selling 3 meals per day. That is why WDW has free transportation from the Orlando airport, so they can capture the guests. Captive Customers means more revenue because you sell them necessities and can charge more.

This is why Shanghai is building hotels right off the bat as did HKDL, DLP,TDL, and WDW after Disney made the mistake building DL with no hotels.
                      Yes, but people usually only stay at a Disney hotel if they are there for a lengthly period of time (2+ nights). Otherwise, they usually stay at a hotel that is in the middle of everything so they can stay in one place for their entire vacation. WDW makes a ton of money off hotels because they have 4 parks and 2 water parks which can allow guests to stay for 7+ days and not leave the resort.

Comment

Yes, but people usually only stay at a Disney hotel if they are there for a lengthly period of time (2+ nights). Otherwise, they usually stay at a hotel that is in the middle of everything so they can stay in one place for their entire vacation. WDW makes a ton of money off hotels because they have 4 parks and 2 water parks which can allow guests to stay for 7+ days and not leave the resort.
                        But, that doesn't matter. All of the Disney Hotels, WDW or not, have very high occupancy rates. The demand is there for more rooms, and evident to Disney to capture the revenue.
                        Be Cool Stay in School!
                        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

That's actually not strictly true. Many people who visit HKDL chooses to spend at least one night at the resort. If they have plans to visit other parts of town, they will spend the other nights of their stay in other hotels in town.

There is no argument, HKDL needs the third hotel as much for the revenue as well as the capacity. They are not building ahead of their time. They need it. HK needs it.

Comment

ORGOCH: Folks need ta start doin' what I does! Bring along a sleepin' bag an' pitch a tent!!! Saves time an' money!!!

Comment

Well, someone must expect HKDL to do well enough in the future that a 3rd hotel is in the works. Though, what really interest me is while looking at the map, it looks like there is enough room for a 4th hotel sometime in the future.

Comment

^I believe there is room for a fourth hotel, and I'd guess that it'd probably happen once a second gate finally gets going.
                                sigpic

Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                                X