This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New anti-smoking law and HKDL

Not sure how the new anti-smoking law will affect HKDL.

The new anti-smoking law will come into effect on 1st January 2007. The Controversial Anti-Smoking Law is expected to be passed by the Legislative Council. Smoking ban will be carried out in phases. 1st phase of the ban to begin on 1st Jan 2007. later phases of the smoking ban will begin later to include karaoke, mah-jong club, pub etc.

The fine for smoking in non-smoking areas will be HK$1,500.

Re: New anti-smoking law and HKDL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Disneyland is Anaheim is surrounded by strict California anti-smoking laws and they have smoking areas.

How do they deal with the law? Could HKDL potentially deal with the laws in the same way?

Comment

Not enough information to judge, really.

HKDL has no karaoke bar, mah-jong club, or pub.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
        Not enough information to judge, really.

HKDL has no karaoke bar, mah-jong club, or pub.
        Not yet, but they sure do have plenty of "Smoking Areas" within the park, and I documented one of them in my halloween report photos. But all I have to say is BRAVO! to HK. Get the stinkers off the face of the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
          Not yet, but they sure do have plenty of "Smoking Areas" within the park, and I documented one of them in my halloween report photos. But all I have to say is BRAVO! to HK. Get the stinkers off the face of the earth.
          I'd rather not leave yet! But thanks for your support! Always nice to have friends! HK in 2008! Won't be making many meets!
          Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
          it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Welcome to Hong Kong. No smoking!

Hong Kong (dpa) - Smoking in workplaces, restaurants, karaoke and public places such as beaches and barbeque areas in Hong Kong will be banned from the beginning of 2007.

Legislators finished debating the controversial law Thursday, following its second reading which began Wednesday.

The ban will also cover public parks but with a concession for smokers allowing designated smoking zones covering one per cent of the total area.

A second stage extending the ban to cover bars open for those aged 18 and older, mahjong houses, massage parlours and nightclubs will follow in July 2009.

The new law will also forbid tobacco companies using misleading terms such as 'mild' and 'light' from 2008 and require them to follow the lead of many other countries by adding graphic health warnings on packets.

Hong Kong has around 839,000 smokers out of its 6.9 million population.

Estimates by the University of Hong Kong last year claimed smoking was responsible for around 6,920 deaths a year and cost the territory around 680 million US dollars in health costs.

Source: Bangkok Post

Comment

Hong Kong has become the latest government to clamp down on tobacco use when lawmakers voted to ban smoking in public places by next year.
              Smoking will be banned in government offices, shops and halls from January. But the ban will not be applied to bars and other places of entertainment until 2009 to give them time to adjust. .

The controversial bill was passed after health chief York Chow agreed to studying the feasibility of allowing bars and restaurants to reserve specially ventilated smoking rooms for their customers. .

Under the terms of the new law, cigarette manufacturers are also barred from using misleading terms such as "lights" and "mild" on packaging. .

Hong Kong had long been mulling a smoking ban in a bid to protect the health of the more than 200,000 people employed in the hospitality trade. .

It brings the southern Chinese city in line with the likes of New York and Ireland, Italy and Scotland, which have successfully imposed similar bans. — AFP

Source: Todayonline

Comment

"The ban will also cover public parks but with a concession for smokers allowing designated smoking zones covering one per cent of the total area. "

I guess this is HKDL way out of a complete smoking ban. As long as they have designated areas- its OK
                Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X