Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

HKD's future HKDisneySea?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HKD's future HKDisneySea?

Probably not what you're expecting. I was reading about the construction of the park and how the entire park is built on reclaimed land in a former bay. Then I was considering the plight of places like Tuvalu under rising sea levels due to global climate change.

So, will HKDL become HKDisneySea? Or maybe HKDisneyHolland with a lot of dykes?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Re: HKD's future HKDisneySea?

Originally posted by monotonehell View Post
    Probably not what you're expecting. I was reading about the construction of the park and how the entire park is built on reclaimed land in a former bay. Then I was considering the plight of places like Tuvalu under rising sea levels due to global climate change.

Probably. One of the reasons I was so against the building of HK Disneyland (among other reasons) was the landfill aspect of it.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonehell View Post

Isn't Tokyo Disneyland built on reclaimed land as well? Would global warming rid Asia of all its Disney parks? Now there's a thought.

Thanks for reverting my edit on Wikipedia by the way. That SpikeJones fellow has been a thorn in my side.

Comment

ORDDU: Yes, Pussinboots, duckling, Tokyo Disneyland WAS built on reclaimed land. Even Disney Imagineers were worried about this way back when the park was first being conceived. But our sources tell us that the Japanese were willing to take the risks anyway. The Pirates of the Caribbean building is on jacks--or at least used to be. Maybe TDLFAN knows for certain. But there has been definite concern over the idea of the land settling and sinking by various degrees as time goes by.

Comment

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
          Isn't Tokyo Disneyland built on reclaimed land as well? Would global warming rid Asia of all its Disney parks? Now there's a thought.

Thanks for reverting my edit on Wikipedia by the way. That SpikeJones fellow has been a thorn in my side.

That Wiki Hong Kong article is a mess. People keep citing rumoured attractions as coming soon, and half the stuff on there is pure fan speculation.

They have also been a thorn in my side too...
          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Comment

Could we see Six Flags New Orlean's all over again?
            Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
              ORDDU: Yes, Pussinboots, duckling, Tokyo Disneyland WAS built on reclaimed land. Even Disney Imagineers were worried about this way back when the park was first being conceived. But our sources tell us that the Japanese were willing to take the risks anyway. The Pirates of the Caribbean building is on jacks--or at least used to be. Maybe TDLFAN knows for certain. But there has been definite concern over the idea of the land settling and sinking by various degrees as time goes by.
              Hmm, sounds interesting enough. Fortunately, Pirates is already flooded. *zing!*

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
              That Wiki Hong Kong article is a mess. People keep citing rumoured attractions as coming soon, and half the stuff on there is pure fan speculation.

They have also been a thorn in my side too...
              Oh don't get me started on that. The day a Disney-related article makes it to Featured Article will be the day Ford builds the Hovercar. Apparently, Disney fans... Not the most academic of people. Or if they are, they're certainly not on Wikipedia.

It's getting a little better, but a while ago you could look up 'Sleeping Beauty Castle' and learn that it 'is regarded as the most visually stunning of all the Disney castles' and other such relevant encyclopedic tidbits.

But I digress. Yes, the Hong Kong Disneyland article could use some work too. Any volunteers?

Comment

pussnboots, sign me up... I'm not an expert of HKDL, but I try to be an neutral, open minded
                thinker. (or as much as one is on MC!)

On the other hand, if you want an "expert", I'll nominate Loomis and the rest of the HKDLsource
                crew.

Comment

Tokyo's castle has sunk like 6-8 inches over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
                    Tokyo's castle has sunk like 6-8 inches over the years.
                    Are you serious???????? That is scary! The magic is sinking aaaaaaahhhhhhhh
                    Look for me on Facebook: Tyler Keith Lee Tew

For all Disney News when it happens, follow DisneyverseNews at www.twitter.com/DisneyverseNews

Comment

ORDDU: The Cinderella Castle is actually built over two huge water tanks that can be drained to level off the palace whenever one side begins to tilt too much one way or the other. This information was talked about during an NFFC Meeting in the San Fernando Valley back in the late 80's. An Imagineer who worked closely on the Tokyo Disneyland project stunned Disney fans with this news at the time. The technical details of all this are somewhat difficult to understand or explain. But you ducklings are very good at checking things out for yourselves.

Comment

So what you are saying is the Tokyo Disneyland castle could tip over? Also the Magic Kingdom at WDW was build where a swamp was.

Comment

ORDDU: I don't think Tokyo's castle would actually tip over. But it would look terrible to have it tilted too much to one side or the other. Thankfully there were plans in place to save this from happening.

ORWEN: One of our friends--who goes to Tokyo fairly often--says you can see cracks in their castle if you look closely enough. He went on to say they were created by the sinking and settling that has happened over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by nish221 View Post
                            pussnboots, sign me up... I'm not an expert of HKDL, but I try to be an neutral, open minded
                            thinker. (or as much as one is on MC!)

On the other hand, if you want an "expert", I'll nominate Loomis and the rest of the HKDLsource
                            crew.
                            Don't you think we'd just be improving our own site more and more? Hee hee hee...

I did try and update a few bits of Wikipedia, adding the odd link to us as a "reference" (you'd think with the lack of footnotes, they'd be grateful). Of course, they accused me of bias. Meh! (Well, it's true...). Still, I'm happy to play around with it if I have time, as it is a misleading mess at the moment.

Getting back on topic, the environmental concerns are a genuine one. HKDL is said to be one of the cleaner parks, with its recent cosntruction forcing it to adhere to stricter standards than say the original Disneyland's construction. A few controversies aside (fireworks; shark fin soup), environmentally some of the resort is very progressive. Inspiration Lake, for example, serves to dual purpose of recreation and as an irrigation reservoir. HKDL should really start focusing on environmental campaigns for children, as I think they would be very responsive seeing an Al Gore created chart of HKDL finding itself underwater.
                            I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X