• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malin
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2005

Disney Hollywood Hotel

So now I'm considering spending a week at the Disney Hollywood Hotel on my trip to Hong Kong next year.Prices seem like good vaule but what I'd really like to know is if any of you have stayed here and can you recomend the hotel.

Also I'm looking at the room rates and see that the hotel offers views of the park.How good exactly are the views andf is it worth paying the extra?

Are there any good sites or trip reports that any of you know about that include info on this hotel?
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• mclubber
    MiceChatter
    • Dec 2006

Re: Disney Hollywood Hotel

I stayed there once. It has a great bar. Food is great. Chef Mickey is pretty good with its buffet.

Comment

• Loomis
      Vegetarian Disneylander
      • Nov 2005

I stayed there during my trip and I can heartily recommend it. I will certainly stay again when I visit next year.

To quote myself: Disney's Hollywood Hotel is quite simply one of Disney's best kept secrets. It offers all the charm of a Disney hotel, but at a fraction of the cost of an average Disney Hotel. As visitors to other parks will know, Disney hotels are not always the cheapest option, but they are certainly the best when it comes to service and style and getting the most out of your 'Disney Experience'. The Art Deco atmosphere is impeccable here, right down to the fire hose reels. Wandering around the hotel grounds with mountains in the background, you'll really feel as though you've stepped out of the present and into 1930s Hollywood.

The theming is impeccable, the service is great, the bar caters to a family while still being a great bar with some terrific cocktails and food and more importantly, the restuarant - Chef Mickey - offers great deals all day around. The grounds are also quite special, with a magnificent view of the mountains and the city from the rear.

I only stayed in a Garden View room (which was pretty special to start with), so I can't comment on the park views. However, if you are going to the park anyway, I wonder if you will want to keep looking at it after you get back to the hotel. I guess the price difference will be your main call.

As far as good sites with trip reports, I humbly submit our little section:

NB Photos need to be edited, but a full gallery can be found here: http://multimedia.hkdlsource.com/gallery/cat/2/

Tom also posted some photos of the Hotel and his stay here:

Hope that helps your decision a little bit.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2006

From the pictures I've seen, it kind of resembles the Ambassador Hotel at Tokyo Disney Resort except on a smaller scale. I really like the interior design of the Hollywood Hotel, though I prefer the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel more. Like Loomis mentioned, the Hollywood Hotel is exceptionally cheap when compared to other Disney hotels. I believe the cheapest rooms go for around $120/night. It looks like a very nice hotel and on par with the high moderate/low deluxe hotels at Walt Disney World.
        Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

• V1213
          HKDL is in my timezone!
          • Oct 2005

I stayed in the Hollywood Hotel in February and can also heartily recommend it. Check in was quick and easy, staff were fantastic, rooms were clean, spacious and decked out nicely. The overall theme is light-hearted and relaxed.

Breakfast at Chef Mickey was always a delight, we had to return almost every day to try all the different things on offer throughout our stay. We also had a dinner at the Sunset Terrace, which was the most expensive meal we had during our stay but it was delicious and once again the setting and staff were excellent.

My experience was in a garden view room although next time I think I'd choose park view. We wandered around the hotel one morning when they were servicing rooms and had the glance through an open door of a park view room to find sight very pleasing to our eyes. It would be fantastic to see the fireworks from such a room, even though we thoroughly enjoyed doing so from out the front of the hotel on our non-park day as well.

The only reason I would not stay at the Hollywood Hotel next time I'm in Honkers would be my desire to try the Disneyland Hotel out and experience for myself at least once.
          Upcoming Trips:
          Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

Comment

• Grizzly
            MiceChatter
            • Nov 2005

I stayed there. It was really good. We had a theme park view, which was great.

Of course it was after my trip that HKDL started offering CM discounts on hotels

Comment

• TDLFAN
              Banned User
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
              From the pictures I've seen, it kind of resembles the Ambassador Hotel at Tokyo Disney Resort except on a smaller scale. I really like the interior design of the Hollywood Hotel, though I prefer the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel more.
              I too have stayed at the Hollywood Hotel and recommend it highly. I like it better than the silver spoon-fed, phoney and stuffy Grand FL knock-off, HKDL Hotel. And while both the Hollywood and TDR's Ambassador share a certain look and feel for artdeco... the Ambassador pulls it off with much more elegance and finesse, whereas the Hollywood is vintage cartoon fun, for lack of a better description.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                MiceChatter
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                I too have stayed at the Hollywood Hotel and recommend it highly. I like it better than the silver spoon-fed, phoney and stuffy Grand FL knock-off, HKDL Hotel. And while both the Hollywood and TDR's Ambassador share a certain look and feel for artdeco... the Ambassador pulls it off with much more elegance and finesse, whereas the Hollywood is vintage cartoon fun, for lack of a better description.
                I agree completely with your comparison of the Ambassador Hotel and the Hollywood Hotel. It's interesting that you don't like the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel. I think the marble floor gives it a bit of an edge over the Grand Floridian and Disneyland Hotel. So why do you like the Grand Floridian better? And what do you think about the Disneyland Hotel in Disneyland Resort Paris then? Would you rate it higher or lower than the Grand Floridian and Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel?

Comment

• TDLFAN
                  Banned User
                  • Feb 2005

So why do you like the Grand Floridian better? And what do you think about the Disneyland Hotel in Disneyland Resort Paris then? Would you rate it higher or lower than the Grand Floridian and Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel?
                  I don't think you understood my position on this... I DO NOT like the HKDL Hotel, Grand FL, nor the DL Hotel at DLP. All those three hotels come across to me a phoney and sterile as they can possibly be. Not to mention High-Brow, catering to people who have nothing else to do but brag about how they love staying in overpriced hotels "just because they can". The Miracosta I admire because it's theming and elaborate premises are a class above the safe and true sea-side feel of those other three forementioned resorts. So to answer your question... I do not rate the those victorian hotels any better or worst than one another... they are just...m'eh. Same popsicle candy on a different stick if you will, and I wish OLC had taken a different route in regards to their forthcoming TDL Hotel.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                    MiceChatter
                    • Feb 2006

I don't think you understood my position on this... I DO NOT like the HKDL Hotel, Grand FL, nor the DL Hotel at DLP. All those three hotels come across to me a phoney and sterile as they can possibly be. Not to mention High-Brow, catering to people who have nothing else to do but brag about how they love staying in overpriced hotels "just because they can". The Miracosta I admire because it's theming and elaborate premises are a class above the safe and true sea-side feel of those other three forementioned resorts. So to answer your question... I do not rate the those victorian hotels any better or worst than one another... they are just...bleech. Same popsicle candy on a different stick if you will, and I wish OLC had taken a different route in regards to their forthcoming TDL Hotel.
                    I agree about the opulent Italian theme of the Hotel MiraCosta being a class above the Victorian theme. I am still looking forward to the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel though and plan to stay a night or two there when it opens.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                      Banned User
                      • Feb 2005

I am still looking forward to the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel though and plan to stay a night or two there when it opens.
                      It must be nice to be spoiled-rich like you and afford those luxuries on the recurrent basis you seem to do.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                        MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2006

It must be nice to be spoiled-rich like you and afford those luxuries on the recurrent basis you seem to do.
                        Recurrent basis? I only make a trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort once a year, so I feel like I should splurge.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                          Banned User
                          • Feb 2005

Recurrent basis? I only make a trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort once a year, so I feel like I should splurge.
                          Again... it must be nice to be rich and afford to splurge, even if once a year at that particular resort. I can't even afford the Ambassador once a year... much less the Miracosta. And night fares at the Official hotels have increased so much, even I can't afford those properties anymore.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                            MiceChatter
                            • Feb 2006

Again... it must be nice to be rich and afford to splurge, even if once a year at that particular resort. I can't even afford the Ambassador once a year... much less the Miracosta. And night fares at the Official hotels have increased so much, even I can't afford those properties anymore.
                            I would gladly give up the chance to stay at the deluxe Disney hotels if it meant getting to visit the Disney resorts as many times as you do.

Comment

• KayBee
                              New MiceChatter
                              • Aug 2006

Errr...getting back to the Hollywood Hotel...

I stayed there twice last year and HIGHLY recommend it - in fact I'm going to head back up to HK for new years as I'm tired of the Sydney fireworks display!

It has great service, great rooms, hidden mickeys everywhere, good theming all around. It had a more "fun" atmosphere than the Disneyland Hotel down the road - I have fond memories of watching Chip n Dale chasing kids around the lobby, I laugh just thinking about it - I cannot imagine that happening at the Disneyland Hotel...

I love the sports bar - I always eat there as opposed to Chef Mickey's which is a little expensive (unless you like to eat a lot, which I don't). The sports bar food is made to order from the Chef Mickey kitchen anyway! I also like to buy a cheap breakfast at the Hollywood and Dine diner.

Rooms have flat screen LCD-TVs, room safes, refrigerators, robes, and slippers (which you keep - the slippers I mean, not the LCD-TV!). Great swimming pool and gardens.

You won't be disappointed.
                              Last edited by KayBee; 07-05-2007, 01:09 AM.
                              KayBee
                              Sydney, Australia

DLR - May 2005, Sept 2006, Sept 2009, June 2011, June 2012, April 2013
                              WDW - Sept 2006, Mar 2013, April 2013, Sept 2013
                              DLRP - Sept 2006
                              HKDL - Mar 2006, Sept 2006, April 2011, Dec 2011, Jan 2012, Mar 2014
                              TDR - April 2008, Oct 2010
                              Disney Fantasy - Mar 2013

Comment

• MouseLivesOn
                                • Mar 2006

Do check out the Annual Pass benefits. If you are planning to spend a week at the hotel, it might very well be worth your while getting a Pass because the hotel discounts can be substantial, depending on which part of the year you go.

We stayed at the Hollywood twice previously, and the whole family loved it (from grandparents to kiddies, youngest being 6). We loved the theming, the lovely grounds, fantastic heated pool and hot tub (we visited once in March, and we still braved the cool temperatures to swim & hot tub), and of course, service was top notch.

The grandparents also loved the hotel because it was so easy to get into town - they went to Central/Causeway Bay almost every day to eat & shop. It took them 45 minutes from hotel lobby to Central MTR station.

We will definitely be back at the Hollywood for our next extended family trip.
                                Mouseketeer Wannabe

Comment

• Malin
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2005

I've qouted the online website and I will be booking a week at this hotel when I get back from my joint Paris/Tokyo trip in Sept.Its looking like the end of May will be the time I'll go as Small World should be open and I may even splash out on a Annual Passport just for the sake of it.

Thanks for the reply's by the way your views have really help me make my mind up here

Comment

• Loomis
                                    Vegetarian Disneylander
                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                                    I've qouted the online website and I will be booking a week at this hotel when I get back from my joint Paris/Tokyo trip in Sept.Its looking like the end of May will be the time I'll go as Small World should be open and I may even splash out on a Annual Passport just for the sake of it.

Thanks for the reply's by the way your views have really help me make my mind up here
                                    I'll be over there at the end of May next year too. Here's hoping IASW stays on schedule!

Comment

• Malin
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2005

I've got my fingers cross,while not a big fan of Its A Small World in general this one has got me a bit excited and curious as to what it'll be like due to the 30 Disney characters that are supposed to be added.I'm interested to see what else Hong Kong Disneyland will roll out with this new attraction for the media,a new night time parade would be nice.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X