X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PennysBayChronicle
    MiceChatter
    • Sep 2005

Typhoon Signal No.8 Hoisted, HKDL will be closed due to Tropical Storm PABUK

Due to Tropical Storm PABUK approaching Hong Kong, Typhoon Warning Signal no. 8 has been hoisted, HKDL will be closed for today.
  • Malin
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2005

Re: Typhoon Signal No.8 Hoisted, HKDL will be closed due to Tropical Storm PABUK

Interesting a list of weather conditions can be found here

I just hope we won't see any damage done to the park or more importantly the current construction of Its A Small World.Strong winds cause quite a bit of damage to the Studios in Paris just recently.Through nothing too serious.Is this the first time the park has had to close down due to a tropical storm?
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• OkiMel
      New MiceChatter
      • Aug 2007

Re: Typhoon Signal No.8 Hoisted, HKDL will be closed due to Tropical Storm PABUK

Sorry to hear this! I hope there is no damage either.

We're getting slammed all weekend with the outer bands of this storm. Typhoon season stinks!

Comment

• TDR_Fan
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by OkiMel View Post
        Sorry to hear this! I hope there is no damage either.

We're getting slammed all weekend with the outer bands of this storm. Typhoon season stinks!
        That must be awful. But at least typhoons are nowhere near as devastating as hurricanes. I've encountered one in Orlando, and it was just terrifying. Unlike typhoons, I actually feared for my life!
        Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

• Katsmom
          MiceChatter
          • Sep 2006

I'm high up on a hill, and it's not too bad this time. Last year there was a typhoon 3 and lots of trees were uprooted. I think we posted about it somewhere else. I think, If I'm not too bad here, Disney should be around the same, my thinking is that it is in a bowl of sorts and protected a lot by the mountains that surround it.

Comment

• OkiMel
            New MiceChatter
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
            That must be awful. But at least typhoons are nowhere near as devastating as hurricanes. I've encountered one in Orlando, and it was just terrifying. Unlike typhoons, I actually feared for my life!
            Typhoons can be just as devasting and scary as hurricanes, as they are essentially the same kind of storm. Just depends on the strength of the storms you've been through.

I've been through many hurricanes living on the east coast of the US, but I'm counting my lucky stars I wasn't on Okinawa last month when Man-Yi blew through. I would have probably had a nervous breakdown!

Comment

• TDLFAN
              Banned User
              • Feb 2005

That park better be opened on the 19th!

Comment

• 4 Winds
                Sock Puppet
                • Aug 2007

Typhoons and hurricanes are the same, just named differently in the eastern and western hemispheres.

Comment

• Katsmom
                  MiceChatter
                  • Sep 2006

Don't hurricanes tend to be stronger and more devistating than typhoons? Or is this because hurricanes tend to hit more populated areas? And here's a monkey wrench...what about cyclones?

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                    MiceChatter
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Katsmom View Post
                    Don't hurricanes tend to be stronger and more devistating than typhoons? Or is this because hurricanes tend to hit more populated areas? And here's a monkey wrench...what about cyclones?
                    They do. Typhoons are generally smaller than hurricanes. Hurricanes can cover several states, while typhoons usually don't get much bigger than the island of Taiwan. And aren't cyclones tropical storms that develop on the Indian Ocean, compared to hurricanes for the Atlantic and typhoons for the Pacific?
                    Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

• Loomis
                      Vegetarian Disneylander
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                      They do. Typhoons are generally smaller than hurricanes. Hurricanes can cover several states, while typhoons usually don't get much bigger than the island of Taiwan. And aren't cyclones tropical storms that develop on the Indian Ocean, compared to hurricanes for the Atlantic and typhoons for the Pacific?
                      I think this is correct. The difference in term depends on their origin.

From Wiki: "A tropical cyclone is a meteorological term for a storm system characterized by a low pressure center and thunderstorms that produces strong wind and flooding rain. A tropical cyclone feeds on the heat released when moist air rises and the water vapor it contains condenses. They are fueled by a different heat mechanism than other cyclonic windstorms such as nor'easters, European windstorms, and polar lows, leading to their classification as "warm core" storm systems.

The adjective "tropical" refers to both the geographic origin of these systems, which form almost exclusively in tropical regions of the globe, and their formation in Maritime Tropical air masses. The noun "cyclone" refers to such storms' cyclonic nature, with counterclockwise rotation in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise rotation in the Southern Hemisphere. Depending on their location and strength, tropical cyclones are referred to by various other names, such as hurricane, typhoon, tropical storm, cyclonic storm, and tropical depression."

According to another site:

"Hurricanes happen in the Atlantic and typhoons happen in the Pacific, it just that simple. So basically, hurricanes and typhoons form over water and are huge, while tornados form over land and are much smaller in size. But, try telling that to the cows in Kansas. As for the term cyclone, you can attach that to any circular wind storm you want, for now. And if things change, I'll let you know."

Comment

• Witches of Morva
                        Minion
                        • Jan 2005

ORDDU: My sisters and I have always heard that typhoons and hurricanes were the same thing--just that they were labeled differently according to their location. Either way, they're both just as dangerous to be around.

ORWEN: I'm pretty sure Orgoch got tangled up with a typhoon once. She thought it was something she could eat. Talk about her having to break wind!!!

Comment

• mclubber
                          MiceChatter
                          • Dec 2006

Hurricanes and Typhoons are the same storm. They both cause flooding and wind damage to buildings. Typhoons can whip up wind speeds up to 200km/hr which is a Category 5 Hurricane, if that happends we Typhoon signal 10 hoisted in HK meaning a direct hit to the territory. This has occurred from time to time but not often. In most cases we get allot Typhoon 8 signal meaning hurricane/typhoon strength winds is affecting the territory. The wind speed is sustaining a minimum speed of 70mph or 120 km/hr. The good thing the comes out of a typhoon is when the it blows over the weather is great. Its no longer hot and humid.

Comment

• Witches of Morva
                            Minion
                            • Jan 2005

ORDDU: Well, of course things will cool off during and immediately following a hurricane. This is Mother Nature's way of providing air conditioning.

ORGOCH: 'Course the old bat don't let a body cool off fer very long! She soon turns up the heat just ta spite folks!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X