This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDLFAN's HKDL Summer Blast 07 report/photos

Yours truly hit HKDL last Aug. 19th to check out the new offerings for the summer season at HKDL.

I found the park to be quite busy with what I believe is the biggest crowd I have seen since Opening weekend. At the entrance to the park, lots of AP banners advertizing the virtues of being an APer are in place to lure guests into purchasing the AP. They have also set up a photo spot for that new chinese character movie (the name escapes me now) and a new poster advertising it as well is up.

Inside the park, I enjoyed the new Animation Academy show, and other guests seemed to enjoy the chance to get into the act and learn to paint some of Disney's most recognizable characters. I gave it a hand and enjoyed this as well. The Academy theater is well done, like an animation studio, and I loved the Mickey chairs!!

The lines for photos with the Mice at the canopy on town Square were LONG! and so were the lines for Jungle Cruise, The Railroad and several other attarctions in the park. It was nice to see a little crowd at the park, and most guests seemed to be having an enjoyable time, as they should.

The most memorable aspect of the day of course, was "Mickey's WaterWorks Parade", presented by Bonaqua Mineral water (clever, eh?) This is a truly inspired and FUN parade, designed to get guests wet, and offer some relief from the summer heat in the region. The parade is basically a rolling garden, with some very odd, but colorful and animated watering machines to add to the fun. I give this parade 5***** out of five, and it's the type of stuff that should be presented at WDW, and this parade is certainly TDL quality as well. I was happy with it. As an added storyline... the parade comes to a close with colorful clouds and rainbows, just like a summer shower would end.. It was truly a treat! GO SEE IT! It puts WDW's 6 yrs old parade to bloody shame.

The not so cool things... this being summer, the chinese guests are out in full force with parasols and umbrellas all over the park. While waiting for the parade and in some lines, I got pocked a few times with them, posing a safety hazard to some of us guests. Needless to say, I gave quite a few nasty looks back to other guests and push several umbrellas out of my way. I hate being rude, but heck... I had to do it so I could come back home with both of my eyes intact! I wish they institute some safety policy about this... since I find the excessive use of umbrellas (especially during shows and parades where guests are crammed) to be quite unsafe. Personally I felt the whole thing was quite obnoxious... and my feelings are, if you do not like being in the heat and outdoors under the Sun, then stay home. China must have a very low melanoma rate I tell you!

During my day at the park, I took the HKDL Railroad around the park. I am pleased to report that the train's round-trip service has been restored. From the train now, you get a closer look at the construction area of "It's a Small World" out in the back of Fantasyland. You also get to see the fully completed walkway that leads into the future IASW attraction, and the newly built train bridge, with columns that simulate the IASW Mary Blair facade... a simple touch but effective. So for those of you who were wondering... NO, the train does NOT travel by the IASW building facade the way it does at DL and at DLP. I could also NOT tell if the queue and boarding platform will be outside the building as is the case in DLP and DL as well... But I can tell you this much.. Mary Blair's facade at HKDL will be more colorful than DL's white original scheme. I am very much looking forward to the opening of this ride next april 08.

Finally.. one of my most enjoyable moments at the park is taking the Promenade walk to the hotels... as it is very relaxing. Photos from that are here as well... Plus, my other enjoyable aspect of the park is going shopping... especially for those especial souvenirs only found here. HKDL celebrates it's 2nd anniversary on sept 12th, 2007, but we the shoppers are already being treated to a very exclusive line of 2nd anniversary merchandise that is quite wonderful and unique. The merchandise motif pays tribute to Main Street USA and features Mickey as a train conductor and some of the other characters, like Goofy, Minnie etc... There are teeshirts, pens, pins, cushions, folders, mugs, plushes... you name it! I spent a pretty penny on that stuff...as it is the type of collector items I truly love. Which brings me to the obligatory "SHAME ON WDW!!" moment.. they in FL celebrated the 30th and 35th anniversaries with hardly any noise or merchandise, and here you have HKDL, a park that is having severe attendance problems, going all out to celebrate that milestone in style... and don't even get me started about the nice merchandise coming to TDR for TDS' 6th anniversary in early sept as well. So SHAME WDW!! SHAME!! There, I feel better now.
    So, am I to assume that HKDL's 3rd anniversary merchandise in 2008 will feature another land in the park? That would be neat, and made for great merchandise continuity, like TDS' 1st thru 5th anniversary merchandise was! KUDOS HKDL!

As always.. it was a magical day at HKDL... a park that I have come to dearly love for it's simplicity and style, and I am pleased to share with you my personal photo album from my day at HKDL, so enjoy the 300+ photos that made the final cut. It was over 550 photos overall... so no complains from you WDW1974.

Enjoy the photos and some of the captions with them!!

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...3&a=32575741&f=

Re: TDLFAN's HKDL Summer Blast 07 report/photos

So does anyone think the Mickey's Waterworks parade would be great at Magic Kingdom at WDW as soon as next year of the summer after that because of Florida's oppressive heat and humidity?

Comment

Great trip report as usual TDLFAN.

It really isn't helping me convince myself not to cash in my frequent flyer points and head off to HKDL for the Halloween event in a few weeks though!
      Upcoming Trips:
      Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

Comment

Originally posted by V1213 View Post
        It really isn't helping me convince myself not to cash in my frequent flyer points and head off to HKDL for the Halloween event in a few weeks though!
        You should go in fact everyone who's in a position to go should.We need to send HKDL a sign that events like this years Halloween is a step in the right direction.
        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Wonderful as always, TDLFAN. Glad to see you managed to make it to HKDL before the Summer Blast finished, as I know you were upset to almost miss out on it. 289 photos! You were certainly snap happy to make up for the previous failed attempts. Great to see IASW coming along too.

Originally posted by V1213 View Post
          Great trip report as usual TDLFAN.
          I know. I'm sorely tempted now, although I have to save my rec leave at work for a massive holiday next year. Go on, V1213! Someone should represent the Source Love in Spooky '07!
          “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

Comment

Nice pictures of the parade and shows. I was hoping for more Tarzan pictures from Golden Mickey, but oh well. Golden Mickey does look like an amazing show. I also liked the pictures you got of the Rainbow Finale for the parade (yet, for some odd reason, I couldn't get the idea of Gay Day out of my head when I saw them).

Thanks for some beauitulf pictures, as usual!

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
            So does anyone think the Mickey's Waterworks parade would be great at Magic Kingdom at WDW as soon as next year of the summer after that because of Florida's oppressive heat and humidity?
            A lot of things would help WDW during the summer heat. Mickey's Water Works Parade, Chip & Dale's Cool Service, etc. But I doubt any of those things that can help beat the heat in Florida will happen any time soon.
            WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Sorry the Tarzan pics didn't make the cut, but in order to photograph during the "Golden Mickeys" show, I have to go open lense in order to avoid flash, which is prohibited. The Tarzan shots came out blurry, so I deleted them.
              I will probably face the same predicament tonight at the MK's Pirate and Princess Party.

Comment

Great photos as always! I still think the park needs to "mature" a bit more.

Comment

hi, TDLFAN
                  so will u come to Hong Kong Disneyland in coming Halloween?

Comment

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
                    I know. I'm sorely tempted now, although I have to save my rec leave at work for a massive holiday next year. Go on, V1213! Someone should represent the Source Love in Spooky '07!

Saving for the trip to HKDL next year when IASW when it opens up? Perhaps.

Comment

Thanks for posting these beautiful photos. I finally get to see the entire Water Works parade -- I only caught the first one or two floats before the withering heat and humidity forced me to beat a hasty retreat to the air-conditioned interior of the Plaza Inn. (I was also having a hard time imagining how the CMs in the parade could march around and perform vigorously in 90+ degree weather covered head to toe with those raincoats and rainhats...)

I love the second anniversary merchandise -- it's so detailed and saturated with color. And there are so many items you don't see too often in the US, like those satiny-looking pillows. Too bad they weren't selling it yet last month... I would have bought myself a second anniversary t-shirt (I didn't see any shirts I liked when I was there), as well as some pins and biscuits. I particularly like the Conductor Donald one.

iasw is definitely a step in the right direction. The Mary Blair-style bridge is a good example of the type of attention to detail that really makes this park work.

Comment

Very nice pictures. I especially liked the pictures of the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel and the Hollywood Hotel.
                        ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by mclubber View Post
                          Saving for the trip to HKDL next year when IASW when it opens up? Perhaps.
                          That and my wedding in Vegas! On a related note, I just found our Octopus cards during a clean-up. Maybe it's a sign...
                          Last edited by Loomis; 08-24-2007, 06:01 PM.
                          “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

Comment

Originally posted by loving_hongkongdl View Post
                            hi, TDLFAN
                            so will u come to Hong Kong Disneyland in coming Halloween?
                            I will certainly try.

Comment

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
                              That and my wedding in Vegas! On a related note, I just found our Octopus cards during a clean-up. Maybe it's a sign...

Remember to plunk some money into your Octopus card in HK at the local 7-11, Circle K, mtr or kcr station. If you haven't used it for 3 months it remains inactive.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X