Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Unique Rides ! Universal Studios!

一 直 研 究 香 港 士 尼 樂 園 營 運 的 城 市 大 學 創 意 媒 體 學 院 講 師 蔡 穎 儀 指 出 , 香 港 士 尼 的 遊 戲 設 施 大 多 照 搬 美 國 的 設 計 , 未 必 符 合 本 地 顧 客 口 味 。 她 認 為 士 尼 未 落 實 擴 建 前 , 應 先 從 改 善 樂 園 硬 件 入 手 , 推 出 有 本 地 特 色 的 新 遊 戲 。
    中 文 大 學 經 濟 系 副 授 莊 太 量 表 示 , 士 尼 對 本 地 居 民 吸 引 力 已 相 對 減 低 。 他 建 議 港 府 設 法 增 加 景 點 , 如 在 大 嶼 山 引 入 環 球 片 場 , 令 一 地 兩 個 樂 園 產 生 協 同 效 應 , 以 吸 引 更 多 遊 客 。
    Source : Apple Daily

Translation:

Lecturer, Creative Media, City University says "Those rides and attractions at HKDL are copied directly from those in USA, which might not be suitable for local taste" She recommends that unique rides and attractions with some originalities should be introduced at HKDL.

Associate Professor, Economics, HK Chinese University says "HKDL has lost some of its appeal to Local Hongkongers!" He recommends Hong Kong Government to increase more tourist attractions, such as inviting Universal Studios to setup theme parks at Lautau Island.

Mr and Mrs. Chan "HKDL too small!" "We come here for Inspiration Lake and taking pictures outside the gates. HKDL too small, not worth going inside!"

Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee "We got our Annual Pass" "Been here 4 or 5 times per year" "...but mainlanders still keep cutting lines....!!!"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd year's attendance figures do not seem to be improved at HKDL.

Above are some recommendations by various professionals at Hong Kong.
    Last edited by PennysBayChronicle; 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM.

Re: More Unique Rides ! Universal Studios!

I hope we build something unique ourselves, maybe under license from some big media/movie company. Warner Bros is actually a great partner in that sense with Batman, Superman, The Matrix, Looney Toones and so on. As Loomis said, the WB Movie Park in Australia is under-developed, so the potential is there to build something very unique in HK.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

Hmm, if the HK government has gone into partnership with Disney to build a theme park they've either got to invest to make it work or get out of the theme park business. Building another theme park is just going to stretch a limited market further and cause someone (if not everyone) to end up losing a lot of money. It strikes me as odd that such a common response in Hong Kong to HKDL's problems seems to be "we need to forget about Disneyland and build more theme parks!"

Comment

Whats the point in Hong Kong building the Disney park in the first place if all they wanted was something that caters to local taste.Hong Kong Disneyland was built to offer something new and differnt to the people of Hong Kong,China and other parts of Asia.The locals and mainland tourist need to adapt to how Disney runs its parks and accept it,not the other way round.
        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
          Whats the point in Hong Kong building the Disney park in the first place if all they wanted was something that caters to local taste.Hong Kong Disneyland was built to offer something new and differnt to the people of Hong Kong,China and other parts of Asia.The locals and mainland tourist need to adapt to how Disney runs its parks and accept it,not the other way round.

Malin's first rule of business: The customer needs to adapt to how the company runs thier business and accept it, not the other way round.

OK does that just apply to HKDL or all businesses?

Comment

I think I can shorten Malin's 1st rule to: The customer is always wrong.

Comment

Disney should not sacrifice it's core entertainment (which is what the principles of Disneyland are built on) to satisfy any given customer base. They can do so in other ways without pulling the plug on certain park offerings... like the case in DLP. Just let them have their darn wine with dinner and smoke like chimney stacks and presto. Park's busy.

In HKDL, they already did the best they could offering a nearly 100% chinese menu and catering to their whim and love affairs with electronics by offering photo spots like Fantasia Gardens. They even have Korean squid snacks for heaven's sake!!!

That report posted above is laughable, and I can only say that it is the press' continuous attacks on HKDL that are getting old. This particular reported obviously likes the thrills and spills of an Universal park, and probably the cheapness that is Ocean Park as of today. Good for him/her. It doesn't mean that is what locals prefer or not. The Press, much like any republican goverment... can be very decieving.

Comment

I, too, get the impression that the idea of HKDL not catering to local tastes is a little overblown. The idea that another US entertainment company such as Universal would be any better at doing so also baffles me.

The core problem seems to be that there's a perception it's a small park with not much to do and that is more or less true. Disney appears to have underestimated the savviness of HK consumers by assuming their name would be sufficient to get guests to a pay a premium to enjoy what is essentially a half-day park. Instead, people seemed to cotton on very early to the fact that their Disneyland was small and light on attractions compared to all the other Disneylands and this perception has been reflected and amplified in the media. Beyond fancy marketing or new parades, they ultimately need to start building new attractions if they want to turn this around. Even DLP suffered from this image problem beyond not catering to local tastes (I remember being told a few times in Paris that it was small and not worth visiting), but in addition to adapting to the culture they opened a major new attraction (Space Mountain) and a few smaller ones and attendance rose.

Comment

Well, HKDL could do with a plan of new attractions to come in the future, but we are still left waiting for "It's a small world" and nothing else.

The phase 2 land reclamation is almost complete. OK the new land needs time to settle before construction can begin, but I think it is time to get the HK govt and Disney to sit down and talk about what to do with that.

We need a plan for the future, not just hoping that some miracle will happen to turn things around. It is not going to turn around if no one does anything.

The Bad PR is out there, yes, so either deal with it or live with it! Stop complaining and put in some REAL work!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                    That report posted above is laughable, and I can only say that it is the press' continuous attacks on HKDL that are getting old. This particular reported obviously likes the thrills and spills of an Universal park, and probably the cheapness that is Ocean Park as of today. Good for him/her. It doesn't mean that is what locals prefer or not. The Press, much like any republican goverment... can be very decieving.
                    That doesn't change the fact that Hong Kong Disneyland was built on the cheap with very little to do. The fact is the park isn't doing as well as Disney would want you to believe.

Disney did sacrifice their core beliefs in building HKDL. They cut corners and gave their guests a mediocre product.

The article states that there should be more unique rides. Maybe Hong Kong doesn't want the same old stuff they can see in American parks. Perhaps they want a more original Disneyland, not just a clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Acetone View Post
                      That doesn't change the fact that Hong Kong Disneyland was built on the cheap with very little to do. The fact is the park isn't doing as well as Disney would want you to believe.
                      Trust me, I am well awared the park is underperforming. I don't need you to tell me what I already know.

Disney did sacrifice their core beliefs in building HKDL. They cut corners and gave their guests a mediocre product.
                      I would not call it mediocre, but *insuficient*. Like I said in another thread... everything that is built at HKDL has proven to be popular at the other parks before HKDL opened it's gates. How does that make this park "mediocre"?

The article states that there should be more unique rides. Maybe Hong Kong doesn't want the same old stuff they can see in American parks. Perhaps they want a more original Disneyland, not just a clone.
                      Perhaps that is what the locals wanted, but that is exactly what Disney gave the Euros... and how was the park recieved after it opened? While it's regrettable that Disney is not as confident in it's product to build a fabulous park, I think being cautions was somewhat a good decision... but I am not going to deny, they were overly cautious here and now they have to show face for their mistake. Still, the park boosts lovely scenery, two decent e-ticket rides and 2 great live shows.. and is proven to be quite apt to creat fun seasonal entertainment... Just give this park time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X