Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.legco.gov.hk/research-pub...-hong-kong.htm

The LegCo is actually quite well briefed on the Asian theme park market. Hopefully they will come to their senses.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

(off topic)
      Ocean Park sees record HK$241.1 million deficit, announces entrance fee hike
      Chairman Leo Kung blames poor performance on fall in visitor numbers, slowing economic growth in mainland China
      By SCMP

To read on:
      http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/eco...icit-announces

Comment

“With growing competition, we have to provide the best possible experience to our guests and further enhance our facilities to win visitors over,” Kung said, adding that this included the development of the new Hong Kong Ocean Park Marriott Hotel and Fullerton Hotel as well as the new Ocean Park Water World.

To improve performance, the park will create sources of income by launching a new entertainment and dining area at its entrance, scheduled to begin operations before February, according to Vivian Lee, Ocean Park executive director of sales and marketing.

“It will attract daytime visitors to stay behind at night and working adults to come over for dinner and drinks after work,” she said. Lee added that this was feasible as the new South Island rail line meant a travel time of five minutes from Admiralty to the theme park.
        Originally posted by ree523 View Post
        (off topic)
        Ocean Park sees record HK$241.1 million deficit, announces entrance fee hike
        Chairman Leo Kung blames poor performance on fall in visitor numbers, slowing economic growth in mainland China
        By SCMP

To read on:
        http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/eco...icit-announces

HKOP suffers the biggest profit losses in 30 years!!! (But they have HK$2 billion reserve!)

Attendance down 1.4 million (from 7.4 million to 6 million)

source : http://www.hk01.com/%E6%B8%AF%E8%81%...AD%A2%E8%A1%80

Last edited by PennysBayChronicle; 12-07-2016, 04:07 AM.

Comment

My thoughts have changed after the excitement of the HK Disney Expansion announcement 2 weeks ago has died down a bit :

Being a Disney Fan myself :

- Walt Disney hasn't been really fair to HK people by building a sub par park in the first place. Its a nice park, but its still the world smallest even if Marvel and Frozen are added.
          If Disney was really serious with its HK location, it should really have proposed the 2nd Gate instead (now, not 10 years from now).

- Giving Shanghai a nicer park and then show up again as a hero to save the small HK park by sharing the expansion costs, makes it looks like a planned strategy only beneficial to Walt Disney at the end.
          Although Disney is saying that the 2 Chinese parks are targeting different customers, it cannot deny that Mainland Chinese who used/planned to visit the HK one are more interested in the Shanghai one now. So it must be said that a significant part of the drop in attendance is caused by Disney themselves in the first place.
          If Disney did not build the Shanghai one or not with such a huge difference in size, HK Disney might still not have huge profits as the general attendance to HK has dropped, but it would have been at least closer to profit instead of red.

-HK Disney has chosen to build its 3rd hotel when it should have gone for another park expansion. This is obviously a wrong management decision. Again it's a wrong Disney's decision, something that Disney should fix themselves.

-As for the selected expansions, I am totally behind Frozen, its a cool to have area.
          But who would agree that the money for the new castle area should go into a new ride instead? I think many of us would prefer a bigger park over a taller castle area. The small castle might be a mistake in the first place, but I am not really bothered by it after 11 years.
          As for Marvel, I am excited for Iron Man, it is the most well known Marvel hero today. But I am against changing Buzz Lightyear and Autopia. They are still very popular among small kids.
          If they were to add the 2 attractions from Marvel, they should consider doing it somewhere else in the Park.
          By spending the money more wisely and relocating some of its planned attractions, the Gate1 park could easily be 80pct occupied in 6 years and that essentially what the park needs, more value for money.

-What I am trying to say is that if McDonalds for example is allowing a bigger new restaurant to be build across an older smaller one in the same street, they should not be seen as a savior if they propose to share the expenses of an expansion to help their smaller franchisee out. It's in fact quite ridiculous to the smaller franchisee and 100% beneficial to McDonalds alone.

Therefore I think Disney this time should be the one making the big efforts in realizing the HK expansions.
          Last edited by hakjie11; 12-10-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X