Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any update on whether the new announced expansions gets approved or refused?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post
    If this is true, then I rather not have the Marvel themed area. So much money for possible just a few years of exclusivity and btw the design and engineering of the new Marvel rides would be fully paid by HK people, so WDC can just copy and paste these ride concepts into its US parks for a fraction of the hong kong budget.
    I think any Disney park that wants to clone a ride must pay a suitable share of the design costs, if WDC runs WDI correctly. You can copy and paste a ride but you must pay for the right to use the design. Just because it is there does not mean you can take it for free.

I remember last time my friend told me a HK credit card company made an ad with Jackie Chan. Then the Singapore division of that same credit card company wanted to use the same ad in their country, so they had to pay a share of the ad production costs to the HK division, in order to be allowed to use it. They are the same company promoting the same product but operating in different markets. It saved the SG division a lot of effort but they had to pay up.

Also if/when we get the second gate, I am sure lots of themed lands will come from the USA, Star Wars Land, Pandora, maybe Cars Land...etc. These will not come free either. HKDL will have to pay a share of the design costs still. So actually if Disney builds one ride and use it in all six parks, the design costs of that ride will be divided by six. Obviously that also means exclusive rides will be more expensive. So I am proposing exclusivity for Asia only.

Anyway, the LegCo Finance Committee will have another go a the funding proposal today. Let's see what happens.

Will the "democratic" legco members prevail?

Click image for larger version

Name:	g1333397188557621642.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	8507112
    Last edited by Asa; 04-27-2017, 10:12 PM.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

Again to be further discussed in next meeting, Tuesday afternoon (2 May).

Comment

Gregory So claimed Disney confirmed "Take it or leave it" is their stand on this expansion deal, which angered many democratic legco members... this will not go down well.

I think WDC, establishment legco members and HK government must get together for some talks behind the scenes now.

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post
          Gregory So claimed Disney confirmed "Take it or leave it" is their stand on this expansion deal, which angered many democratic legco members... this will not go down well.

I think WDC, establishment legco members and HK government must get together for some talks behind the scenes now.
          Yep, this hardline stance from the Pro-Beijing figures really ensured the vote will be delayed until Carrie Lam takes over. Unless they plan to wheel and deal. Also there was a rumor that the govt was proposing bringing additional investors to put fund the project, but the govt does not want to reduce its shares/ownership.

Comment

Finally...just approved (30 votes for Vs 24 votes against )!!!

Comment

Yes!! HKDL can now finally begin to turn a new chapter with this. It's going to be a very different resort in two years time.

Comment

Well, a part of me wants to know what WDC and HKDL would do if the funding was denied. Would they pack up and go home or would they come back with a better offer? Now we will never know.

I really hope this is the last time ever HKDL comes to the govt to request for extra funds. They should seek funds from the private sector.

Comment

Well, a part of me wants to know what WDC and HKDL would do if the funding was denied. Would they pack up and go home or would they come back with a better offer? Now we will never know.

I really hope this is the last time ever HKDL comes to the govt to request for extra funds. They should seek funds from the private sector.
                  Yes indeed a mixed feeling this time. I am glad we get the expansions, but it doesn't feel 100% right.
                  Anyway I think we will forget about this painful long legco situation when we are happily experiencing the new attractions.

Comment

I agree. HKDL needs to prove itself with this renovation project (what I consider as a rebranding) and not ever have to request so much extra funding from the taxpayers. As wonderful as this expansion is, it is not the government's job to fund theme park ventures again and again and again.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X