• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied
    Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post
    I enjoy reading Mr B's pages, but I just cannot see myself commenting on its posts, since most of his followers doesn't share the same deep Disney knowledge and understanding compared to the ones commenting here in Micechat forums for example.
    Some of the people on Mr. B's page cannot even understand why LegCo has to approve govt spending... for me that's beyond ignorance... Even Mr. B himself is not very knowledgeable in terms of business practices, finances and economics. But I do agree that the park can do better in terms of marketing and product designs.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied
    Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post

A 3rd resort in the US will probably end up having the same HKDL issue and being crushed by Disney World and Disneyland Anaheim in the first decade, unless the 3rd park is a 10 billion USD investment with 2 gates to start with on the very first day. Otherwise adding expansions area's to the existing parks might be the cheapest and fastest option to make money.
    Also, Disney already owns the US market completely with 2 parks, people have been going to Disney for generations, the fan base is extremely solid and massive.
    In 20 years, the Mouse would have brainwashed China, and it would contribute a few more billions per year on top of the solid income from the US parks.
    Not necessary. Today you build anything with the Disney brand in the USA with decent quality, people will queue up for it. Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! was a totally unknown IP three years or so ago. It got people waiting 5 hours for it now. Disney Anaheim is able to actually sell a day pass to its annual pass holders on an originally block out date this summer. That kind of enthusiasm and demand for Disney is phenomenal. If HKDL existed in Houston then it would be getting 10 million + visitors per year no problem. Guaranteed. Even better, all profits belongs to Disney, no sharing with local partner required.

Yeah you pay half for your Chinese parks but you also earn half the profits only. Disney pay nothing for Tokyo Disney Resort and they earn nothing from the gate receipts. You reap what you sow.

Chinese crowds are famously volatile. Disney might be very interesting to them but the Chinese crowd still have plenty of local media to keep them entertained. "Journey to the West" has another new film in the cinemas today and there are lots of other stuff. Don't forget China still has control of how many foreign films can be shown in Chinese cinemas per year and Disney share this quota with Fox, Warner Bros, Universal, Paramount, Sony etc. There is absolutely no way Disney can "brainwash" the Chinese public.
    Asa
    MiceChatter
    Last edited by Asa; 08-12-2017, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hakjie11
    MiceChatter

• hakjie11
    replied
    Originally posted by ree523 View Post

I think if the advantage for WDC to invest and build another park in China is that WDC only owns less than half of it and need to pay only half of the cost. The convincing profit SDL earned by SDL in the first year gives WDC confidence and is a boost to its ambition in China park.

My two cents: Even if HKDL kept losing and losing money, WDC still got a net profit from Asia parks. DLP has been lossing money for a long time, and I don't think that is a huge problem to the WDC.
    ------------

I have been following Mr B's facebook page, and I share the same view. The page recently took a look back the past TV advertisement and summer, and halloween events. The park's marketing and performance this year in every aspect has been a shadow of itself. Marvel and Star Wars are the future direction from the Disney park, but how to promote it, is in HKDL's hand.
    I don't know the change of the strategy is a consequence of the resignation of it ex-director Mr Andrew Kam last year or not. I just hope they will beat the game hard next year.
    Agree, money is not an issue for WDC to keep HKDL up and running, but I mean that we will not be on the first row to get exciting development if grow keeps stagnate in the future.

I enjoy reading Mr B's pages, but I just cannot see myself commenting on its posts, since most of his followers doesn't share the same deep Disney knowledge and understanding compared to the ones commenting here in Micechat forums for example.

Leave a comment:

• ree523
    MiceChatter

• ree523
    replied
    Originally posted by Asa View Post
    Disney should open a third resort in another US city first if you ask me. Possibly Houston. The profits would be even higher than a second tier Chinese city.
    I think if the advantage for WDC to invest and build another park in China is that WDC only owns less than half of it and need to pay only half of the cost. The convincing profit SDL earned by SDL in the first year gives WDC confidence and is a boost to its ambition in China park.

My two cents: Even if HKDL kept losing and losing money, WDC still got a net profit from Asia parks. DLP has been lossing money for a long time, and I don't think that is a huge problem to the WDC.
    ------------

I have been following Mr B's facebook page, and I share the same view. The page recently took a look back the past TV advertisement and summer, and halloween events. The park's marketing and performance this year in every aspect has been a shadow of itself. Marvel and Star Wars are the future direction from the Disney park, but how to promote it, is in HKDL's hand.
    I don't know the change of the strategy is a consequence of the resignation of it ex-director Mr Andrew Kam last year or not. I just hope they will beat the game hard next year.

-----------
    It's a little bit off topic.

Disney recently said the withdrawal of programs and film from the Netflix platform, and they are going to start their own streaming service.
    Though I guess the plan may be focusing on the US market first, but when it goes global, do you think they will provide the broadcasting service in HK? Any thoughts?

I hope I will not be disappointed to the possibility that the streaming service may be launched in China, but not in Hong Kong because HK is never a big market. And TVB already has the Disney on demand service contract.
    ree523
    MiceChatter
    Last edited by ree523; 08-12-2017, 05:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hakjie11
    MiceChatter

• hakjie11
    replied
    Originally posted by ree523 View Post
    http://www.menafn.com/1095715657/Ove...st-over-a-year

The news again mentioned about another Chinese Disney park will be coming.

Hakjie,
    The focus of the summer event this year.
    1) Marvel hero super summer
    2) Final call of the Buzz Lightyear Blaster
    3) StellaLou greet and meet

Well, I don't know what to say.....I don't think HKDL will do any good in 2017. The event and promotion, nothing big nothing good so far.
    Yeah, the efforts just doesn't seem to pay off yet for HKDL this summer.
    I just think that we might be heading the Paris Disneyland way. When WDC opened the 2nd gate in Paris (which is widely considered to be a failed 2nd gate), WDC didnt want to build it, but WDC wanted the land which is a value on its own. So WDC just built some cheap stuff on it to claim the 2nd gate land.
    Our 2nd gate land is the most expensive valued land which WDC could own and without enough attendance they would really slow down their investment after they bought it. ( The same way WDC treats Paris Disneyland now, keep it running in a good shape and 1 re-imagined inexpensive ride once in a while )
    2023-2025 would be the definitive period for WDC to do the final maths for HKDL's future.
    hakjie11
    MiceChatter
    Last edited by hakjie11; 08-12-2017, 03:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hakjie11
    MiceChatter

• hakjie11
    replied
    Disney should open a third resort in another US city first if you ask me. Possibly Houston. The profits would be even higher than a second tier Chinese city.
    A 3rd resort in the US will probably end up having the same HKDL issue and being crushed by Disney World and Disneyland Anaheim in the first decade, unless the 3rd park is a 10 billion USD investment with 2 gates to start with on the very first day. Otherwise adding expansions area's to the existing parks might be the cheapest and fastest option to make money.
    Also, Disney already owns the US market completely with 2 parks, people have been going to Disney for generations, the fan base is extremely solid and massive.
    In 20 years, the Mouse would have brainwashed China, and it would contribute a few more billions per year on top of the solid income from the US parks.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ree523
    MiceChatter

• ree523
    replied
    http://www.menafn.com/1095715657/Ove...st-over-a-year

The news again mentioned about another Chinese Disney park will be coming.

Hakjie,
    The focus of the summer event this year.
    1) Marvel hero super summer
    2) Final call of the Buzz Lightyear Blaster
    3) StellaLou greet and meet

Well, I don't know what to say.....I don't think HKDL will do any good in 2017. The event and promotion, nothing big nothing good so far.

Leave a comment:

• hakjie11
    MiceChatter

• hakjie11
    replied
    In the recent WDC third quater report, WDC made no mention of HKDR whatsoever, it just said Paris and Shanghai helped Parks and Resorts made more money while the domestic parks made no big difference.
    I went to HKDL several times this summer and I have the impression that HKDL is performing really really bad lately in terms of attendance figures.

Its really clear that HKDL is facing a market positioning issue among its own Disney parks as direct competitors.
    It's being crushed between Shanghai and Tokyo. With Shanghai being the bigger newer China park targeted to the Chinese people in general and with Tokyo being the park drawing the most overseas visitors from Asia. When people want to go to a Disney park nearby in Asia, the 2 other parks will automatically be on top of the list.
    On top of that, its smaller park size doesn't really excite people to come and stay at the hotels.

I hope WDC has planned an extensive marketing campaign for HKDL when the expansions are gradually finished and the bridge and train works are completed.
    I think HKDL needs to be re-marketed as the Disneyland for the Greater Bay Area and open up the business for 67 million Chinese people first. Without at least 9-10 million visitors per year, the investments will just slow down and all the good stuff will just go to the other Disney parks.
    hakjie11
    MiceChatter
    Last edited by hakjie11; 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied
    Just spent a night at Disney Explorers Lodge. It is a beautiful hotel and the restaurants are very nice, too. We dined in Dragon Wind Restaurant and had very good food. Four of us spent $800+ for three main courses and the "Wind" dessert which is reasonable price for a 4 star hotel restaurant.

In the recent WDC third quater report, WDC made no mention of HKDR whatsoever, it just said Paris and Shanghai helped Parks and Resorts made more money while the domestic parks made no big difference.

Two minor things to add:
    1. The TV in the room does not yet receive Fantastic TV or ViuTV Six. So if your favourite programs are on these free to air channels, make sure you record them or whatever...

2. Pokemon GO finds no pokemons or supply stations at the hotel. You will need to go across to the other two hotels to get your Pokemon GO fix.
    Asa
    MiceChatter
    Last edited by Asa; 08-10-2017, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hakjie11
    MiceChatter

• hakjie11
    replied
    Already the hotel is doing 60% off promotion for HK residents. It doesn't look like they are doing great business this summer.

But I think they are counting on the completion of the Zhuhai-Macau-Hong Kong mega bridge and the High Speed Rail Link to bring in more guests in the future.
    I went to HKDL last week, I have to say that the impression I have is that the majority of the visitors were locals.
    Btw they are doing a 20% off when you renew your Magic Access Gold card. They know they have to retain their local customers base which is their bread and butter for now. And without any new rides for at least another year, the best thing was to lower the Magic Access price for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied
    Already the hotel is doing 60% off promotion for HK residents. It doesn't look like they are doing great business this summer.

But I think they are counting on the completion of the Zhuhai-Macau-Hong Kong mega bridge and the High Speed Rail Link to bring in more guests in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied

Disney Explorers' Lodge Opening Ceremony video by HK Main Street Gazette

Leave a comment:

• ree523
    MiceChatter

• ree523
    replied
    http://hd.stheadline.com/news/realtime/hk/905013/

迪士尼樂園新酒店開幕 

17萬棵植物締造不同視覺效果

新酒店有750間客房,四大主題庭園營造度假酒店,希望吸引旅客之餘,港人亦會入住。負責設計庭園的華特迪 士尼幻想工程園境設計師余海恩表示,花近兩年時間搜羅特色植物,共有七百種,遍植十七萬棵植物,而且四季都 有不同花朵,充滿視覺效果。

代表亞洲區的庭園以電影《小泰山》為背景,有香港少見的山櫻花,另外有桂花、茶花,以及入秋會轉紅葉的雞爪 槭,還有由峇里引入石門裝飾。

大洋洲區是《海底奇兵》主題,有各種顏色的雞蛋花,例如少見的桃紅色和橙色雞蛋花,而且植有椰子樹,有如海 邊,而且接連出面有海濱長廊,望見海景。

南美洲《沖天救兵》主題庭園有古時商旅用來認路的旅人蕉,以及白花美人樹。而非洲《獅子王》有象腳樹,以及 香港少有黃色花的鳳凰木,以及多肉蓮花掌「黑法師」。

Sorry that I cannot translate the above news clipping. In gist, it talks about the selection of flora they picked for the four gardens. Photos are included in the source link.

Bellow is the official news press from the park:

http://news-en.hongkongdisneyland.co...2-b383722bdc60

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2017051619411289314contentPhoto1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	8511140

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaki...s.php?id=89314

Disneyland opens 750-room Explorers Lodge

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort opened its 750-room Disney Explorers Lodge today and its addition to the two existing hotels brings the resort's room total to 1,750. The Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying was on hand for the opening.

More than 1,000 artifacts that explorers collected from around the world such as in Mali, Papua New Guinea, Bali, Costa Rica, Bolivia, the Ivory Coast are on display throughout the hotel, in the lobby, guest rooms, dining venues, children's corner and various indoor and outdoor areas.

Mickey Mouse the explorer, Minnie Mouse the adventuress, Donald the bird-watcher and Goofy the pilot will take guests on adventures in the new hotel, Disney says.
    There are also three restaurants serving cuisine from different parts of the world.

Dragon Wind, decorated with a whimsical dragon kite, serves rural and classical provincial Chinese fare inspired by the five elements of traditional Chinese culture.

World of Color Restaurant, once an explorer’s art studio of botany and entomology, brings together the tastes of new and old worlds from far and wide. Chart Room Cafe, featuring lighting fixtures that evoke constellations used in navigating voyages, is the place to enjoy coffee, sandwiches, pasta and gelato.

Leave a comment:

• hakjie11
    MiceChatter

• hakjie11
    replied
    Went to this hotel yesterday for the buffet. Very nice hotel.
    Although the buffet is less recommended, less choices and variations compared to the buffet at Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied

Name:	bkn-20170430141143315-0430_00822_001_01b.jpg?20170430143522.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	8507991

Name:	bkn-20170430141143315-0430_00822_001_02b.jpg?20170430143522.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	8507992

Disney Explorers Lodge opened on 30 April and a special ceremony was held for its first ever guests.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied
    Double post
    Asa
    MiceChatter
    Last edited by Asa; 04-27-2017, 10:10 PM. Reason: Double post

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    MiceChatter

• Asa
    replied
    https://hkmsg.blogspot.hk/2017/04/4-30.html

A very comprehensive pictorial report on the hotel and its amenities by HKMSG.

The hotel opens this Sunday! Hope that it is well received and popular with fans. The resort needs all the $$$ it can get.

Leave a comment:

• Duyanh92
    MiceChatter

• Duyanh92
    replied
    The public areas and especially the lobby are so gorgeous! However, the room looks disappointed with a tiny bathroom with no bath tub. And looks like the hotel only has 1 room layout with no suite.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X