Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.thestandard.com.hk/sectio...20180503&sid=2

Airport Skycity takes off

SKYCITY will have retail, entertainment and even and indoor and outdoor kart track, a first for Hong Kong.

A new world-class destination is set to rise up at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) in Chek Lap Kok, following the award of a contract for its development.

Airport Authority Hong Kong said yesterday that New World Development (NWD) has been awarded the tender for the SKYCITY integrated development which comprises retail complexes, dining areas, hotels, entertainment facilities and offices.

Under the agreement, NWD (0017) will design, construct, finance and manage the development on sites A2 and A3, adjacent to HKIA's passenger terminals.

Scheduled to be opened in phases from 2023 to 2027, SKYCITY is said to be one of the largest commercial developments in Hong Kong and will provide a maximum gross floor area of about 3.77 million square feet.

Of this, 2.1 million sq ft will be designated for dining and retail outlets, and 570,000 sq ft each for entertainment facilities and office space.

The remaining area will be used for public space and carparks.

NWD said it will offer some brand new experience-based entertainment such as Hong Kong's first indoor and outdoor kart track, AR and VR interactive games.

The developer also said this will be another landmark project for the group, following its latest mixed-use development project on the Tsim Sha Tsui harborfront.

The Airport Authority also said a hotel is being developed on another site of SKYCITY, in which Regal Hotels Group has been awarded the development and management right.

The new hotel is scheduled to open by 2020-2021.

Meanwhile, on the former Kai Tak airport site, close to one hundred rental deals were reported last month in the "Hong Kong Property for Hong Kong People" project launched by the government.

The residential One Kai Tak project was completed by China Overseas (0688), a subsidiary of China State Construction Engineering.

Midland Realty said there were 97 rental deals in April, with monthly rents priced from HK$13,600 to HK$25,800, while the average per saleable square-foot rent stood at HK$32 per sq ft.

================================================== ================================================

A huge commercial development near the airport. This could be a major reason why HKDL is not developing a Downtown area.
    Last edited by Asa; 05-02-2018, 08:26 PM.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

• Alien Swirling Saucer at WDW Toy Story Land.

The ride vehicle is so cute I'm very sure it will be hugely popular if they decide to import it for HKDL Toy Story Land. If they start the work now it will/should be ready in time for the release of Toy Story 4 next summer, too!
      Last edited by Asa; 05-03-2018, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• http://www.thestandard.com.hk/sectio...0180504&sid=11

Outdoor Mayday concert a rocking boost for Disney

An outdoor concert will be held at Hong Kong Disneyland for the first time tonight as the amusement park explores new options to attract visitors.

Leading Taiwanese rock band Mayday will begin their 2018 Life Tour at an open area next to Disneyland's amusement park. About 20,000 fans will gather each night for six days, from May 4 to 6 and May 11 to 13.

It is the first time Disneyland has rented its venue for a concert. It has launched two-day-one-night packages for visitors, which include a night's stay in the hotel, two-day tickets for the amusement park and concert tickets. It costs HK$4,422 to HK$6,115, depending on the hotel chosen and concert ticket price.

A spokeswoman said the package attracted locals as well as tourists from the mainland, Singapore, Taiwan and Macau. Fans are coming from as far as Japan, she said. The event helps bring in more visitors during the low season between the Labour Day mini-golden week and the summer holidays.

She did not reveal the occupancy rate for Disneyland's three hotels, Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel, Disney's Hollywood Hotel and Disney Explorers Lodge. On hotel booking websites, all three were available for booking last night, with a "high demand" tag for Hollywood and Explorers.

It is too early to say if the park will collaborate with organizers to throw more concerts, she said. It is a big challenge to manage the crowd of 20,000, making it necessary to deploy staff to help with the concert.

The concert organizer has arranged seven shuttle bus routes from Admiralty, Central, Kwun Tong, Kwai Fong, Sha Tin, Lantau Link Toll Plaza and Sunny Bay MTR Station.

After the concert, there will six bus routes taking people to urban areas.

Cars will not be allowed into Disneyland's car parks starting at 4pm, three hours before the concert begins. Drivers cannot use hotels' parking space unless they have made bookings.

The concert organizer also came up a long list of 30 rules for the audience, including a ban on glass containers, selfie sticks, folding chairs, video cameras except mobile phones, inflated props and long umbrellas.

Disneyland plans to organize more events such as running races on its doorstep. It is also looking into launching packages for the first batch of visitors to arrive via the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge and the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link later this year.

Hong Kong Disneyland attracted 6.2 million visitors in the 2017 fiscal year, up three percent from a year ago. But it remained in the red for the third consecutive year, reporting a deficit of HK$345 million.

Sales of Mayday tickets had kicked up a storm, including a fist battle with suspected scalpers.

In March, 18 Mayday fans from Xiamen came to Hong Kong and camped outside the ticketing office in Tsim Sha Tsui days before ticket sales started. But they got embroiled in a fight with about six South Asians, who claimed the students took their spots.

A fan suffered head injuries and was taken to hospital.

Comment

• https://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/20...-hong.html?m=1

A “Seven Drawft Mine Train” kind of coaster will be added to the Frozen Land.

I truely appreciate this additional change.

Comment

• Originally posted by ree523 View Post
            https://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/20...-hong.html?m=1

A “Seven Drawft Mine Train” kind of coaster will be added to the Frozen Land.

I truely appreciate this additional change.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Coaster.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	197.6 KB ID:	8555593
            (Picture from the above link)

Kind of a mixed feeling for me,

It will be great to have another coaster attraction but I liked the previous rendering much more without the coaster, the scenery was just photo perfect.
            IF really confirmed, I am sure Disney would find a way to perfectly blend the coaster into the land, but the proportion doesn't seem right to me.
            The coaster would probably take up the entire right side of the lake (even then it is just a smaller coaster if you compared it to the size of Space mountain or Grizzly Gulch), meaning that the indoor show and indoor sleighs (if still planned) might be entirely cancelled to make way for it.

Anyway, I think if the coaster is really going to be built, it would certainly be a better choice on the long term, attracting more visitors to the park.
            Last edited by hakjie11; 05-05-2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• Hakjie11,

I don’t know the source of that rendering, it is better too take it with a grain of salt.

After considering the space available for building the roller coaster, I reckon if it is a “Gadget Go Coaster” thing, a coaster ride for young visitors. I appreciate this addition to the plan if the original plan of the indoor sleigh and show is still going. If this is really built, I think noise is a problem too. If the indoor sleigh is replaced, I think they should have another plan to add it back in another attraction in futhure development.

The functional purpose of the “pound” is still unrevealed (or it is just a simple pound), I hope it really serve some functional purpose.

I know it is rather impossible to happen owning to the pinched budget at this stage, it will be awesome if an underground area just like the Mermaid Lagoon could be bullt and free up the upperground space for other purpose in the future.
              Last edited by ree523; 05-05-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asa View Post

A huge commercial development near the airport. This could be a major reason why HKDL is not developing a Downtown area.

Asa,

Thank you for sharing the news.
                Along with the expansion of HKDL park, it is good to know the development of its vincinty is on the way and this may help guests to decide a stay in the park hotels. It is good to know new hotel(s) will be opened near the SKYCITY the future too. I hope the park will finally have its ‘good neighbor hotels’ scheme offering other accommodation option for visitors with different travelling plans.

Though they are not developing a Downtown area at this moment, I hope they will think about building a large retail store outside the paid area of the park (may be few year later when the expansion work is completed), just like the “Bon Voyage” or the “World of Disney” shop. The shop inside the park are always crowded, cashier lines are long especially during members sales day. In my opinion there is room for the park to increase it mechandise variety and boost sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by ree523 View Post
                  Hakjie11,
                  E
                  I don’t know the source of that rendering, it is better too take it with a grain of salt.

After considering the space available for building the roller coaster, I reckon if it is a “Gadget Go Coaster” thing, a coaster ride for young visitors. I appreciate this addition to the plan if the original plan of the indoor sleigh and show is still going. If this is really built, I think noise is a problem too. If the indoor sleigh is replaced, I think they should have another plan to add it back in another attraction in futhure development.

The functional purpose of the “pound” is still unrevealed (or it is just a simple pound), I hope it really serve some functional purpose.

I know it is rather impossible to happen owning to the pinched budget at this stage, it will be awesome if an underground area just like the Mermaid Lagoon could be bullt and free up the upperground space for other purpose in the future.
                  Hi Ree,

Mr B just confirmed me that the coaster is indeed coming.

I just watched a ride video of the Seven Dwarf Mine Coaster, the track looks a lot like HKDL Grizzly Gulch, so they would really need to re-theme it completely to distinguish itself from Grizzly.
                  I think a Matterhorn-Cave Trolls design would be perfect.
                  I do think that HKDL is lacking a family coaster for smaller children, so adding this would make sense. I would gladly choose this Sleighs coaster over the new Slinky Dog Coaster in Toy Story land, that one looks a bit like a cheap bare-bones coaster to me.

Cancelling the Dancing Sleighs might be good thing to do, considering that other parks are having a better themed vehicle for essentially the same type of omni trackless ride. I think people are more excited if they are sitting in an Toy Story Alien UFO vehicle, a Cars themed vehicle or a Toy Story Horse Car vehicle or a Baymax themed one compared to just Sleighs (unless they add the Reindeer in front of the sleighs). IF the coaster is replacing the dancing sleighs then we might get something better in the future. Imagine a Monster Inc or Wall-E inspired one e.g.

As for Mermaid lagoon, yeah 100% agree, we totally need something similar. Will come in handy during Rainy/Typhoon period.
                  Last edited by hakjie11; 05-06-2018, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• Guys,

Some more findings,

https://www.facebook.com/mrbpage/pho...type=3&theater

Pic below from Mr B facebook (see link above)

Click image for larger version  Name:	31924988_1007890399359549_7827933245374201856_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	149.2 KB ID:	8555781

If you compare the first concept (bottom one) with the new one with the coaster (top one), even taken into account that the bottom picture is a bit larger in scale in order to have a correct concept size comparison, you could still easily spot the following :

-The castle and the mountain "look" smaller now.
                    -The lake "looks" smaller as well. (more narrow)
                    These could indicate that they are building smaller versions of it to "visually" compensate the lack of depth and width.

All these might have to do with the new coaster which is for SURE taking more space then the previously planned Dancing Sleighs and Show building.

A 2nd possible explanation could be that they are demolishing the backstage building behind Frozen Land.
                    I mean this one :

Click image for larger version  Name:	BuildingBehindFrozenland.JPG Views:	1 Size:	24.0 KB ID:	8555782
                    With this demolished, they could win back some space to compensate for the extra land used by the coaster and that also explains why the Castle looks smaller (because it is just located further away, maximizing the new depth of the land, meaning a narrower lake but longer one).

If you ask me, it is probably the combination of both (smaller buildings and a longer lake).

Well, I guess all these changes are quite normal for a Disney located in a city with a severe lack of land supply where every sqft must be used efficiently.
                    Last edited by hakjie11; 05-06-2018, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Hi all!

I think the land size will be as is and won't be expanded backwards... I expect they'd need this backstage for firework storage and the launchers... provided that they are bringing back the fireworks with the new castle.

Anyway, as we know now we don't know if this coaster is a new proposal or a scrapped one (in lieu of the announced dancing sleighs). While I feel an outdoor coaster would have too much dynamic and noise that hinder the tranquil area of Arendelle that I envisioned, I nevertheless wish they can build both, such that the coaster is on top and around the indoor ride. As you can see there is still some green space behind the dark ride's building.

The current expansion plan has a contingency fund of HKD$800m (USD$100m). With the city's infrastructure projects finishing (i.e. cheaper construction costs) and HKDL's project scope scaling back (Adventureland theatre smaller than the original concept), hopefully they'd find some money for an addition.

If they build both, could the dancing sleigh ride be rethemed to the rock trolls as if we're rolling on the stone balls?!

Comment

• Originally posted by wali View Post
                        Hi all!

I think the land size will be as is and won't be expanded backwards... I expect they'd need this backstage for firework storage and the launchers... provided that they are bringing back the fireworks with the new castle.

Anyway, as we know now we don't know if this coaster is a new proposal or a scrapped one (in lieu of the announced dancing sleighs). While I feel an outdoor coaster would have too much dynamic and noise that hinder the tranquil area of Arendelle that I envisioned, I nevertheless wish they can build both, such that the coaster is on top and around the indoor ride. As you can see there is still some green space behind the dark ride's building.

The current expansion plan has a contingency fund of HKD$800m (USD$100m). With the city's infrastructure projects finishing (i.e. cheaper construction costs) and HKDL's project scope scaling back (Adventureland theatre smaller than the original concept), hopefully they'd find some money for an addition.

If they build both, could the dancing sleigh ride be rethemed to the rock trolls as if we're rolling on the stone balls?!
                        Good point Wali,

But we might not be getting the same fireworks spectacle as we were used to have in HKDL
                        If you look at Google Maps you will notice that current HKDL Fireworks launching space is taking up the entire width of Frozen land (if not more).
                        The backstage Frozen building which is only half the width of Frozen Land itself will most likely not be enough for the "same kind" of fireworks we were used to see in HKDL. (also the building/space is not entirely located in the center behind castle unless they are placing launchers on top of the Ice Mountain as well)
                        So we are probably looking at a different experience in the future.

If you look at Paris for example, they had most of their fireworks launchers installed on the castle itself and a few of them right behind it (rooftop fantasy land buildings).
                        There is no need for a launching area far behind the castle.
                        Paris already has the flamethrowers, fountain and projections. So we might be heading for the same setup and experience in HKDL.

Anyway its not a discussion abt the fireworks, I will take whatever they make. I am sure it will look good.
                        Hope Frozen Land will look impressive.
                        Last edited by hakjie11; 05-07-2018, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• http://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/201...d-to-hong.html

Alain Littaye of Disney and more said the rendering may not actually be a new one. He doesn't feel the sleighs coaster will be happening.

Personally I think if they can KEEP the originally proposed sleigh ride inside the mountain and still build the sleigh coaster on the mountain, then I am all for it. The more rides the better. But if the coaster REPLACES the sleigh ride inside, then I am not so keen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asa View Post
                            http://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/201...d-to-hong.html

Alain Littaye of Disney and more said the rendering may not actually be a new one. He doesn't feel the sleighs coaster will be happening.

Personally I think if they can KEEP the originally proposed sleigh ride inside the mountain and still build the sleigh coaster on the mountain, then I am all for it. The more rides the better. But if the coaster REPLACES the sleigh ride inside, then I am not so keen.
                            Too bad if it turns out to be nothing...but the original concept was also nice. So no complaints from me.
                            I do hope they add Sven the Reindeer to the dancing sleighs...Sleighs alone are quite boring. All other parks are getting a recognizable Disney Character in front of the omni trackless vehicle..

We need this dude :

Click image for larger version

Name:	SvenTheReindeer.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	8555800

Comment

• I think what we are getting for Forzen area in HKDL is the same system as luigi’s rollickin’ roadsters (good for young kids only). Not mater’s junkyard jamboree. Both can find in cars land. And I also don’t think that tiny space can fit in a coaster ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman View Post
                                I think what we are getting for Forzen area in HKDL is the same system as luigi’s rollickin’ roadsters (good for young kids only). Not mater’s junkyard jamboree. Both can find in cars land. And I also don’t think that tiny space can fit in a coaster ride.
                                Like I said before, HKDL should build Alien Swirling Saucers, which uses the same ride technology as Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, at Toy Story Land. Shanghai Disneyland has Woody's Round-Up which already uses the same ride tech. HKDL should build it but bring back Buzz and the Aliens which have been removed from BLAB to create Ant-Man & SHIELD ride.

Comment

• https://hkmsg.blogspot.hk/2018/05/blog-post_3.html

"Moana A Homecoming Celebration!" interactive show begins 25 May !!!

Comment

• Hey Guys,

The coaster might still be true, the round ride Dancing Sleighs will be replaced by it.
                                    I was told to wait for the official announcement.

Comment

• Disney and More’s facebook page writer said that Screamscape spot an additional mountain peak in “Matterhorn” style is added to the backdrop mountain (the upperleft corner near the ice castle) in the roaller coaster rendering.

IMO, it is kind of bizzare to see HKDL add decaratives to its original plan rather than removing them, remember what happened to the “Moana” show pavilion and the gardens in the Explorers Lodge. I hope if plan roller coaster goes on, it implies the park have started making profit.

————————
                                      Speaking of the castle...., fireworks!!
                                      I am sure it will not be the same theme as the Paris / Shanghai one, so... we will see a brand-new show! Hooray!
                                      Though I don’t have any clue or read any news about it, my thought is that it will be the best to have anything unique OR an adaption of the Happily Ever After Fireworks in WDW, which the castle itself would be the spirit of the fireworks show...what I meant is that I hope the renovated castle will keep its form and take part in the show, be more than just a projection screen.

Comment

• https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...at-abc-1110788

ABC renewed Agents of SHIELD for a 13 episode season. SHIELD is the main theme of the upcoming Ant-Man / SHIELD ride, re-themed from Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

Will Clark Gregg and co come for the re-themed ride's opening? I think very unlikely.

Comment

• Is it really a “seperate” theme? I mean doesn’t this expansion just count as an extension of Fantasyland? Isn’t it just the “Frozen” themed area of Fantasyland, even if it is self contained?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X