No announcement yet.

What's next for Hong Kong Disneyland?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Although I think it would be a great Marvel Space Mountain overlay especially a female hero targeting the little ladies out there, the official expansion announcement still points to the existence of a Tomorrow Land after the completion of the Marvel area. So I really doubt we would get a Marvel reimagined Space Mountain soon, especially not long after they reimagined it into a Star Wars theme (Space Mountain --> Hyper Space Mountain)
    I agree that it would made much more sense if they completely changed the whole area into Marvel instead because it will break the immersion for sure with Star Wars just a few steps away.

Comment

• Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post
      Although I think it would be a great Marvel Space Mountain overlay especially a female hero targeting the little ladies out there, the official expansion announcement still points to the existence of a Tomorrow Land after the completion of the Marvel area. So I really doubt we would get a Marvel reimagined Space Mountain soon, especially not long after they reimagined it into a Star Wars theme (Space Mountain --> Hyper Space Mountain)
      I agree that it would made much more sense if they completely changed the whole area into Marvel instead because it will break the immersion for sure with Star Wars just a few steps away.
      https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...922429/page-17

HKDLer claims Star Wars will leave Space Mountain in 2021. I really don't think Disney wants to keep a Tomorrow Land with just Space Mountain and Orbitron when they can do another overlay and turn them into Marvel properties.

Star Wars Land, complete with Star Tours 2, will most likely be built in phase 2 of HKDR, if it ever comes to be.
      Last edited by Asa; 12-05-2018, 12:46 AM. Reason: correct year
      Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
      Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
      Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
      Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

• Originally posted by Asa View Post

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...922429/page-17

HKDLer claims Star Wars will leave Space Mountain in 2011. I really don't think Disney wants to keep a Tomorrow Land with just Space Mountain and Orbitron when they can do another overlay and turn them into Marvel properties.

Star Wars Land, complete with Star Tours 2, will most likely be built in phase 2 of HKDR, if it ever comes to be.
        I would be really excited if they did, Star Wars deserves its own themed area for sure and I also want a reimagined Marvel Space Mountain ride and Marvel Orbiton overlay.
        ( It's so strange to see Darth Vader walking around after an Iron Man ride experience.) If possible also a Stan Lee statue somewhere.

Comment

• If they do consider an overlay for Hyper Space Mountain, I think Guardians of the Galaxy would actually be a great fit.
          Its entire story is traversing galaxies in neat space vehicles and the movies are already proven to be a success also they have a complete new thrill ride developed at Epcot, maybe HKDL could share some elements of it? It is somekind of the rotating roller coaster and lets passengers focus on the action by rotating each vehicle independently (think Buzz Lightyear ride vehicles but mounted on a roller coaster track)
          And who doesn't want to meet I am Groot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Guard1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	8575033
          Click image for larger version  Name:	guardconcept.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	8575034

Pictures from Marvel Disney

Comment

• Tokyo Disneyland : Belle and the Beast dark ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce5bjFY1Faw

Look at those animatronics faces!
            The original Frozen ride in the US still uses projection to animate the faces (kinda like our previous Buzz Lightyear animatronic in the queuing area) , so the backdrop has to be a bit dark to make the facial animation stand out.
            The new Belle animatronic uses some kind of motors under the silicon (I believe) skin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FrozenAnimFaces.png
Views:	46
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	8575075

Name:	BelleFace.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	8575076

Photo's from Disney

Comment

• HKDL Christmas promotion video. It looks fun and festive!

Comment

• Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy

a live theater show now under construction at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

"In the preview, show directors from Disney and Pixar talk about the new production, which will feature Lightning McQueen on stage showing off his "racing simulator," a 200-foot wrap-around video screen in the theater. Lightning's here to share some of his tips for the aspiring racers in the audience, and he's brought Tow Mater, Cruz Ramirez, and other friends from Radiator Springs to cheer him on. But since it's Lightning McQueen, expect at least a little gentle chaos along the way."
                Source : https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201811/6429/

Looks like a cheap but good screen based show to me. ( If you can't have Cars Land...)

Name:	Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	8575149

People speculate it would have similar experience to the racing simulator shown in the movie :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=xi8h2ioOsWs

Name:	JacksonInRacingSimmer.png
Views:	44
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	8575150
                Pictures from Pixar/Disney

Comment

• Going back to HKDL this January. Kinda let down there isn't much new until 2020+. Any new shows/parades for January?

Comment

• Pavilion Gifts shop is now open for business, but new stock that will accompany Ant-Man and the Wasp and SHIELD will only be in when the ride opens.

Thanks to HKMSG for the video.

Comment

• Have you guys watched this? It discusses some of the lands that was supposedly planned for HKDL but was scrapped. Some of them were already posted in this thread though but still a nice watch. Also, the channel has a history on the making of HKDL. He doesn’t have enough views in my

Comment

• Originally posted by areskins View Post
                        Have you guys watched this? It discusses some of the lands that was supposedly planned for HKDL but was scrapped. Some of them were already posted in this thread though but still a nice watch. Also, the channel has a history on the making of HKDL. He doesn’t have enough views in my
                        Glacier Bay was cancelled in favour of Toy Story Land because Ocean Park was developing Polar Adventure and HK govt did not want both parks to develop attractions with similar themes. It is common knowledge and the guy who did that video should know.

I can tell you more undeveloped ideas. Little Mermaid Adventure (WDW and DCA ride) was thought to open with the park; Peter Pan's Flight is supposed to be in Fantasyland (an WDI Imagineer said HKDL does have the space for it in existing structures and it can still be added, but they have not so I think they might want to have something else there in the future); Star Tours 2 was supposed to be where Iron Man Experience is today. There was talk of adding a high speed "car" ride (either Test Track or Cars Land?) but nothing came of it.

I think none of the above will come to be until at least after the second gate is built. The current expansion will be the end of expansions for first gate until the second gate opens. After the second gate opens they will go back and work on the first gate, so that people will be interested/excited to visit both parks.

Comment

• Originally posted by areskins View Post
                          Have you guys watched this? It discusses some of the lands that was supposedly planned for HKDL but was scrapped. Some of them were already posted in this thread though but still a nice watch. Also, the channel has a history on the making of HKDL. He doesn’t have enough views in my
                          Going back to the choices HKDL could have made, I really think HKDL missed out of the opportunity to have an unique land like Glacier Bay.
                          Frozen Land which I initially became excited about has become a Cut and Paste land in almost every park since its announcement. Glacier Bay would have been at least something special and Ocean Park's Polar Adventure area is such a let down in terms of theming (or I am just used to Disney standards).
                          Glacier Bay's steampunk design reminds me of Port Discovery land in Tokyo Disney Sea which I think was kinda cool.

Comment

• Fantasy Land's Storybook Shoppe has closed permanently. It will be replaced with the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

Comment

• Ant-Man and the Wasp: Nano Battle will open on 31 March 2019!!!

Comment

• I have yet to see something really impressive from this Ant-man ride video, hopefully they kept the best part secret otherwise I would be a bit disappointed.
                                So far it is what they told it would be ...a re-skinned Buzz Light Year ride, same pods and same type of blasters.

Comment

I have yet to see something really impressive from this Ant-man ride video, hopefully they kept the best part secret otherwise I would be a bit disappointed.
                                  So far it is what they told it would be ...a re-skinned Buzz Light Year ride, same pods and same type of blasters.
                                  I see your point, but anything would be better for this park over a Buzz Lightyear clone.

Just re-skinning the outside of the building alone already made Tomorrowland significantly less tacky.

Plus from what I've seen of the interior, it looks like it will have the look and feel of the Buzz Lightyear shooter in Shanghai which is much better than the originals.

Then of course, it's another original attraction has in it's roster. It definitely won't stand on it's own, but is helping Hong Kong Disneyland as a whole.

At the end of the day, it's a shooter attraction that has the same building and track layout as Buzz Lightyear. I don't see much that can be done in an attraction like that to blow anything away.

Just curious, what did you have in mind?
                                  :blink: Bullets for Breakfast :blink:
                                  Join the party. Face the music.

Comment

• Originally posted by manifest View Post

At the end of the day, it's a shooter attraction that has the same building and track layout as Buzz Lightyear. I don't see much that can be done in an attraction like that to blow anything away.

Just curious, what did you have in mind?
                                    Well obviously as expected there will be these "standard" evil robot bots which will replace the Z-targets from Astro Blasters and there will be some big moving Arnim Zola pieces as well to replace Evil Zurg and there will probably be some big screens in the background showing animations of Ant-man and Wasp battling Arnim and the bots. All these ideas were already implemented in Shanghai Disneyland's version of Astro Blasters (which was an updated version of our Astro blasters).
                                    see video :
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTVQlsqwQk

I have the feeling they are being unimaginative and probably will do something safe and similar like it like you said but just with an Ant Man overlay.

I m really hoping that at least 1 room will feature massive interactive ride or combat story scenes probably using big screens, e.g. something along the lines of Ratatouille Ride in Disneyland Paris.
                                    Watch the youtube video below :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZdXqY1TKs

Ratatouille is also taking visitors into a giant world seen from a perspective of a rat, so Disney already had this technology 10 years ago.
                                    They have several screen rooms where people were escaping together with the rat from the roof through the kitchen and restaurant.
                                    Now replace the rat with Ant-Man and the Wasp and you have a very nice interactive action filled room to remember.
                                    Just 1 room is enough, not asking much, keep the other rooms like the planned standard shooting gallery ride.

Also, why did they have to choose Arnim Zola again as villain?
                                    Arnim Zola is the lowest rank of villain in the Marvel Universe, Iron man alone should be more then enough to take him out in the Iron Man Experience ride.
                                    I think it is a missed opportunity to introduce a nice new powerful villain in HKDL. I mean it makes much more sense to fight the powerful Thanos type of villains in several rides because he is too strong to be taken down by 1 hero.
                                    I would take Yellow Jacket or Ghost over Zola anytime as well, at least these villains have nice costumes and its merchandises can be easily sold with the hero toys.
                                    Also, if both rides have Zola as villain, can I assume the new Avengers ride in 2023 has Zola as well? Probably not right? So again why duplicate the villain for 2 Marvel rides in HKDL if they aren't going to be consistent anyway? The answer is probably because he is the most adaptable and cheap to implement headless digital android robot villain suitable for any kind of Marvel ride story.

I might be complaining, but I just want HKDL to have the best and unique attractions, it deserves and needs it, especially when you know HK people have funded 50% of these attractions.
                                    And if you think about it, Ant-Man is actually an unique one of a kind attraction to HKDL, therefore I don't like it when Disney is being too safe or lazy with this ride design.

I hope I am totally wrong about this, please impress me Disney.
                                    Last edited by hakjie11; 01-16-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Guys,

I am thinking that they will probably use "Mary Poppins Returns" for a reimagined "Mickey's PhilharMagic" sometime.
                                      Not confirmed or no rumor yet, certainly not for HKDL. The story and its hand drawn animations really lends itself to this type of attraction.
                                      Also Mickey PhilharMagic is located in Fantasyland close to the carousel...I believe the carousel played a big part in the first Mary Poppins movie.

Taking visitors into an animated world of Mary Poppins is similar to what Mickey PhilharMagic is currently doing.
                                      Last edited by hakjie11; 01-18-2019, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Well obviously as expected there will be these "standard" evil robot bots which will replace the Z-targets from Astro Blasters and there will be some big moving Arnim Zola pieces as well to replace Evil Zurg and there will probably be some big screens in the background showing animations of Ant-man and Wasp battling Arnim and the bots. All these ideas were already implemented in Shanghai Disneyland's version of Astro Blasters (which was an updated version of our Astro blasters).
                                        see video :
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTVQlsqwQk

I have the feeling they are being unimaginative and probably will do something safe and similar like it like you said but just with an Ant Man overlay.

I m really hoping that at least 1 room will feature massive interactive ride or combat story scenes probably using big screens, e.g. something along the lines of Ratatouille Ride in Disneyland Paris.
                                        Watch the youtube video below :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZdXqY1TKs

Ratatouille is also taking visitors into a giant world seen from a perspective of a rat, so Disney already had this technology 10 years ago.
                                        They have several screen rooms where people were escaping together with the rat from the roof through the kitchen and restaurant.
                                        Now replace the rat with Ant-Man and the Wasp and you have a very nice interactive action filled room to remember.
                                        Just 1 room is enough, not asking much, keep the other rooms like the planned standard shooting gallery ride.

Also, why did they have to choose Arnim Zola again as villain?
                                        Arnim Zola is the lowest rank of villain in the Marvel Universe, Iron man alone should be more then enough to take him out in the Iron Man Experience ride.
                                        I think it is a missed opportunity to introduce a nice new powerful villain in HKDL. I mean it makes much more sense to fight the powerful Thanos type of villains in several rides because he is too strong to be taken down by 1 hero.
                                        I would take Yellow Jacket or Ghost over Zola anytime as well, at least these villains have nice costumes and its merchandises can be easily sold with the hero toys.
                                        Also, if both rides have Zola as villain, can I assume the new Avengers ride in 2023 has Zola as well? Probably not right? So again why duplicate the villain for 2 Marvel rides in HKDL if they aren't going to be consistent anyway? The answer is probably because he is the most adaptable and cheap to implement headless digital android robot villain suitable for any kind of Marvel ride story.

I might be complaining, but I just want HKDL to have the best and unique attractions, it deserves and needs it, especially when you know HK people have funded 50% of these attractions.
                                        And if you think about it, Ant-Man is actually an unique one of a kind attraction to HKDL, therefore I don't like it when Disney is being too safe or lazy with this ride design.

I hope I am totally wrong about this, please impress me Disney.
                                        I bet you haven’t watched this video yet.
                                        https://youtu.be/uoORm6jHCg4

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman View Post

I bet you haven’t watched this video yet.
                                          https://youtu.be/uoORm6jHCg4
                                          Bet I did, among the first 10 people actually when I clicked on the video.
                                          But thank you for sending it to me Kyman.

The problem is that I might already have an "idea" how they are going to implement most what they said.
                                          For example, they are going to make us shrink by letting us go into a curved tunnel with flashing light or screens.
                                          The begin of the tunnel is narrow and small and gradually gets bigger--and huge when you are near the end of the tunnel, all that when the lights/screens are flashing etc.. combined with some enlarged set pieces in the next room e.g. a giant ant, or big coke bottle and you feel like you are shrunk.
                                          Also some screen showing animations and the sky will be mounted onto the ceiling because that's where they are going to get the illusion of height to make you feel smaller e.g. showing a normal size human or a giant Ant-man.
                                          And we are probably going to see the giant ant playing drums of the movie at the end of the ride before we get into the unloading area.

Again Disney pls prove me wrong, but if I can have a few of these predictions right then Disney's should consider hiring better talents.
                                          If you read stuff about the Nintendo Land's attractions in Universal for example, they are implementing AR glasses into roller coaster type of rides to make animated objects and characters appear in the real world combined with physical set pieces. These are the types of attractions people read about and that's how people get excited.
                                          Last edited by hakjie11; 01-19-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X