Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asa View Post
    There are rumours that Disney will replace Avengers ride with Tower of Terror: Mission Breakout!. Well I just want to say that is not going to happen because HKDL's expansion budget was already signed and sealed by HK govt with WDC. If they changed it then it would actually constitute a breach of contract. WDC does not want that.

Also, the Avengers ride is supposed to be shared with DCA in Anaheim and maybe even WDS in Paris. If HKDL walks out then DCA will have to bear the design costs all by itself and I seriously doubt that WDC wants that to happen.
    It actually could have been a real proposal. Since the piece of land for the 2023 Marvel attraction is split up in the middle by a railway and the part behind the already tall Hyper Space Mountain building needs to be much taller in order to be easily spotted from far away. Tower of Terror type of building would have been perfect for this location.

Since DCA already has Mission Breakout and Paris Disney has the original Tower of Terror, it does make sense for Disney to cheapen out and build a new Marvel Tower of terror in Hong Kong instead to save on costs by re-imagining all 3 towers with the same theme or simply go for a copy of Mission Breakout. Of course they would rebrand and label it as the next greatest ride ever and probably disappoint HK visitors just like Ant Man at the end.

I feel like they have spent too much on the Fox purchase and Star Wars land and needs to cut a lot of budget now.
    Last edited by hakjie11; 06-25-2019, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post

It actually could have been a real proposal. Since the piece of land for the 2023 Marvel attraction is split up in the middle by a railway and the part behind the already tall Hyper Space Mountain building needs to be much taller in order to be easily spotted from far away. Tower of Terror type of building would have been perfect for this location.

Since DCA already has Mission Breakout and Paris Disney has the original Tower of Terror, it does make sense for Disney to cheapen out and build a new Marvel Tower of terror in Hong Kong instead to save on costs by re-imagining all 3 towers with the same theme or simply go for a copy of Mission Breakout. Of course they would rebrand and label it as the next greatest ride ever and probably disappoint HK visitors just like Ant Man at the end.

I feel like they have spent too much on the Fox purchase and Star Wars land and needs to cut a lot of budget now.
      I simply cannot imagine HKDL still has money left to build Tower of Terror after building Avengers E ticket. They cannot NOT build Avengers ride. It is in the contract.

Bob Iger spent a lot on Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm, too. But those purchases made the money back in almost no time. Disney has spent a lot of money on Fox, but is it too much? Everything depends on the success or otherwise of Disney+. Right now I think I am willing to subscribe but I need more info about what will be available.
      Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
      Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
      Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
      Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

• Pixar Waterplay Street Party! Coming this summer to HKDL.

Comment

I simply cannot imagine HKDL still has money left to build Tower of Terror after building Avengers E ticket. They cannot NOT build Avengers ride. It is in the contract.

Bob Iger spent a lot on Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm, too. But those purchases made the money back in almost no time. Disney has spent a lot of money on Fox, but is it too much? Everything depends on the success or otherwise of Disney+. Right now I think I am willing to subscribe but I need more info about what will be available.
          Let's hope they MUST build the Avengers ride as we imagined it would be coz the description is actually quite vague of this 2023 Marvel ride, in fact it could be anything WDC wants it to be with clever labeling. We know by now that the conceptual images are not to be trusted.

This is the description of the 2023 ride in the document of the legislative council :
          "new immersive themed area using “Marvel” intellectual property, with one ride and other entertainment offerings" (that's it)

Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be just a Tower of Terror with an Avengers theme slapped on it.

(To make things worse, Mission Breakout is a screen based accelerated drop ride with 1 pc of animatronic, it is exactly the same screen laziness found in Iron Man and Ant Man, the more I think of it, the more it is possible that it was a real proposal and on top of that Tower of Terror is an E-ticket ride...)

Comment

Let's hope they MUST build the Avengers ride as we imagined it would be coz the description is actually quite vague of this 2023 Marvel ride, in fact it could be anything WDC wants it to be with clever labeling. We know by now that the conceptual images are not to be trusted.

This is the description of the 2023 ride in the document of the legislative council :
            "new immersive themed area using “Marvel” intellectual property, with one ride and other entertainment offerings" (that's it)

Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be just a Tower of Terror with an Avengers theme slapped on it.

(To make things worse, Mission Breakout is a screen based accelerated drop ride with 1 pc of animatronic, it is exactly the same screen laziness found in Iron Man and Ant Man, the more I think of it, the more it is possible that it was a real proposal and on top of that Tower of Terror is an E-ticket ride...)
            If they didn't build the Avengers ride in Hong Kong then they wouldn't be able to afford the design costs to build the same ride in DCA, Anaheim either. HKDL and DCA are expected to share the ride. The same way Anaheim and Orlando share Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge.

My guess is that the Avengers ride will use the same ride technology as one of the rides in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. I don't know which ride and in fact no one outside of WDI does.

Comment

My guess is that the Avengers ride will use the same ride technology as one of the rides in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. I don't know which ride and in fact no one outside of WDI does.
              I hope not the Millennium Falcon Ride type...it's a nice simulator or I would actually call it a nice video game...the reason why I brought this up is because the Avengers Quinjet plane seems to be appearing in every Marvel Conceptual design. Luckily the chances are minimal because we have Iron Man experience already.

Comment

• I think the Avengers ride could be something similar to guardians of the galaxy roller coaster at Epcot.

Comment

• Duffy's new friend Cookie is 1 year old.

I am not sure the video belongs to this thread but there isn't any other that I can find.

Comment

• HKDL is building Hong Kong's biggest solar farm on top of its attraction and other buildings. These will be completed in two stages and should be fully completed and operational by the end of the year. A total of 4,500 solar panels will be installed. The system will produce 1.86 million kWh of electricity, equals to over 500 three person family's annual usage. The electricity generated will be feed into the local electricity network, which will generate HK$5 million revenue per year, to be shared between HKDL and the solar panel equipment supplier. HKDL will use the money for development costs, maintenance and other future environmental projects.

I think HKDL will save a lot of money from its electricity bills by doing this. Electricity costs is a big item in this business. This is huge savings.

Proper English news article by SCMP:
                    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...s-become-citys
                    Last edited by Asa; 07-09-2019, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Mr B has referred to rumours of Mission Breakout to replace the 2023 HKDL Avengers ride.
                      Seems like there is indeed a bit of substance behind it.
                      https://www.facebook.com/mrbpage/pho...type=3&theater

To give this idea a second thought :

Let's say it would be a completely new Avengers Tower with the accelerated drop (probably themed around the Avengers attacked by Zola who hacked into Tony's Iron Man suits - much like Ultron did in the movie Avengers : Age of Ultron. That wouldn't be such a bad story actually OR they could use last year's Marvel Summer : Dimensions of Danger as their background story ( I always thought they were collecting data for their next ride with this temporary setup )
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anVe8v_RGS4

If they opened the shutters of the elevators at the top floor and give us a sight of a damaged Quinjet on the landing pad and the whole park before dropping us. That might actually be quite cool. The building would certainly be impressive, since it will be a very tall building and the screaming of the riders would add to the excitement.

As for the tower design. Plenty to choose from and some of them are actually not bad :
                      Refering to :
                      https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/94ljoc/evolution_of_stark_avengers_tower/

Click image for larger version

Name:	lltov4kvj4e11.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	8594218

Comment

• https://d23.com/disney-parks-experiences-and-products-d23-expo-2019/

During the D23 Expo scheduled for 25 August, at the
                        Disney Parks “Imagining Tomorrow, Today” pavilion, Marvel fans can get the inside scoop on Tony Stark’s latest plans to recruit guests to join alongside the Avengers in fully immersive areas filled with action and adventure in Hong Kong, Paris, and California.

I guess that's when we will find out if Disney has any concrete plans for HKDL's Avengers ride. Brand new Avengers ride? Tower of Terror: Mission Breakout! ? Or both?

Comment

https://d23.com/disney-parks-experiences-and-products-d23-expo-2019/

During the D23 Expo scheduled for 25 August, at the
                          Disney Parks “Imagining Tomorrow, Today” pavilion, Marvel fans can get the inside scoop on Tony Stark’s latest plans to recruit guests to join alongside the Avengers in fully immersive areas filled with action and adventure in Hong Kong, Paris, and California.

I guess that's when we will find out if Disney has any concrete plans for HKDL's Avengers ride. Brand new Avengers ride? Tower of Terror: Mission Breakout! ? Or both?
                          I haven't been on these boards for years, and HKDL seems so much, and at the same time so little, has changed with the little Disney Park that could. (Still no flume ride, I see....)

I am personally hoping for something more involved - like Rise of the Resistance at Galaxy's Edge.

Assuming that will be smash hit.

Comment

• The transformation of the iconic castle 🏰🏰at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort reaches new stage! 📢📢Towers and spires representing 13 stories of beloved Disney Princesses and heroines will be lifted onto the castle base throughout this summer. 👀With special attention to the iconic patterns, textures, colors and ornamentation, you will be able to recognize the individual elements inspired by their favorite Disney heroines, celebrating a sense of diversity, inclusion and unity.🎉🎉🏰🏰

When fully transformed, the iconic castle will stand as a shining beacon of courage, hope and possibility. Are you ready to witness the ongoing castle transformation process?

================================================== ========================================

Just so happened that after Hong Kong was hit by a typhoon and HKDL had to cut open the cover on the castle to prevent the whole thing being blown over, HKDL decided to allow all park visitors to see the castle build up progress spire by spire.

Hopefully the new castle will live up to its promise. Unlike the other new additions to the park...

Comment

• So far the castle is the only expansion that looks identical to the concept art...
                              I hope the castle shows are on par with the other parks

Comment

• Castle Transformation Construction Update

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qJV_mZK0Pk

Photo by HK Main Street Gazette

Comment

• https:///2019/08/map-and-la...ture-revealed/

According to WDWNT:"Other points of interest include W.E.B. Suppliers, located just across the path from Spider-Man’s attraction, the adjacent interactive Doctor Strange show, the Ant-Man microbrewery and restaurant, and the Avengers gift shop. This shop should eventually be at the exit of an Avengers E-ticket attraction set to open sometime later, but rumor has it that the original plans were scrapped. Supposedly, the attraction began with a new ride system concept, but Imagineers couldn’t come up with a story that worked with it. This is also why there is no visible construction on the Avengers E-Ticket that was announced for Hong Kong Disneyland many years ago. Hopefully, a new attraction is in the works so we won’t have any more of these half-finished lands."

WDWNT was the site that reported the redevelopment of HKDL castle, so they are pretty reliable. If the Avengers ride is scrapped then that is hugely disappointing. Hopefully the Imagineers can get a new attraction (or two) worked out in time.

Comment

• Sounds more like "They couldn't come up with a new ride system/story within a certain "reduced" budget".
                                    So we can expect an existing ride system with an Avengers theme slapped on it = increased chances of getting an Avengers tower of terror?

Comment

• I don't believe it is a budget problem. As the article said it is a story problem.

DCA and HKDL are expected to share the ride. DCA already has Tower of Terror, so if HKDL builds Tower of Terror, DCA has no one to share the design budget with and they will end up with an empty plot of land. DCA does not have the design budget to go it alone. So I think WDI are still working on it and I am still hopeful that WDI can come up with the goods.

I am also interested to know if the restaurants in Tomorrowland will have Marvel themes in the near future. Maybe Disney will reveal all at D23.

Comment

• The Story Problem could indicate that Parks might choose to develop their own individual stories for their Marvel expansions.
                                        If you think about it, every park has its own original park planning and we can see a mix of new ride buildings and a lot of reimagined rides for their own Marvel Area, which could indeed mess up stories since some countries would prefer to emphasize rides of certain hero's e.g. I assume Captain America would have more presence in the US parks e.g and Asia Parks would get more of those "masked" hero's to make it easier to cast Asians under the masks.
                                        If that is the case, and they are re-using old/existing ride tech, there won't be such a need to share RnD budget with other parks.
                                        This would make the Marvel extensions more unique for each park and all the previous rumors would also make a bit of sense.

As much as I believe Disney is still a super rich company, it is recently easy to find a lot negative financial news of Disney. Disney's shares slump due to pressure of the Fox merger, the whole Hulu strategy, less income at its theme parks... Even Bob himself needed to warn investors of the pressure on Disney's profits.
                                        Last edited by hakjie11; 08-10-2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• https://www.micechat.com/233418-mice...sing-the-moon/

"DCA Marvel Land’s big Avengers E Ticket, planned for the parking lot behind Guardians of the Galaxy, has been on again and off again since 2015. The rotten relationship that TDA developed with the City of Anaheim under past president Michael Colglazier effectively stopped any ability to move forward on the E Ticket, although the low capacity and overall complexity of the thrill ride was also something that left too many TDA suits underwhelmed with WDI’s proposals. WDI has gone back to the drawing board repeatedly on the Avengers E Ticket, but they seem unable to break out of the mold of low capacity and over-complicated rides for their biggest E Ticket concepts, of which Rise of the Resistance is only the latest example." Al Lutz (Today's Micechat feature)

Al Lutz confirms that WDI have been working repeatedly on the Avengers E ticket. It is a capacity and technology issue. Hopefully they can resolve the issues.

Comment

Working...
                                          X