Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great article.

Seems like the Rise of the resistance ride has been too ambitious and overly complicated. If it works it could be THE ride that brings Disney back on top of the ride engineering industry.

I hope they announce the final concept of this 2023 Marvel ride during D23 or at least announce the 2021 HKDL reimagined ride with some concept art.
    (would love to see a Marvel re-imagined Space Mountain OR a re-imagined Jungle Cruise ride)

Comment

• Giving what is happening in Hong Kong ... I would think Disney has put every future project on hold.

Any official word from the Walt Disney Co. on that?

MY SIGNATURE:
      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

• https://www.dw.com/en/hong-kong-protests-rattle-global-firms/g-49995668

The unrest in Hong Kong is prompting people to stay away from Walt Disney's Disneyland theme park in the city. The US company's chief executive, Bob Iger, told analysts that visits to the park were significantly suffering because of the protests. "We will feel it in the quarter that we’re currently in, and we’ll see how long the protests go on," he said on an earnings call.

That's all Bob was willing to say in public.

But that shouldn't affect the expansion projects as they are on the expansions budget, which has already been approved, and not the operations budget.
        Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
        Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
        Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
        Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

• I think it mostly affects the "timing" when HKDL comes forward with the announcements.

Every good news Disney shares with the public now in HK will be unheard and lost in all the protest news.

I personally think the expansion in works already aren't affected but the ones that haven't been confirmed in details yet might be given a 2nd thought in the sense of budget cuts or delays.

Comment

• https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ckdown-1232216

It does not help HKDL, or WDC as a whole, when the Mulan actress joins in the controversy.

Comment

• I think it's naive to move forward with construction projects ... because the situation with Hong Kong could explode into something worse at any given time. Add Trump's trade war with China ... things are delicate to say the least. I know of one person who lives in Hong Kong .. and got the heck out. Is in Indonesia. Away from the chaos.
              MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                I think it's naive to move forward with construction projects ... because the situation with Hong Kong could explode into something worse at any given time. Add Trump's trade war with China ... things are delicate to say the least. I know of one person who lives in Hong Kong .. and got the heck out. Is in Indonesia. Away from the chaos.
                Have you been to Hong Kong? I live in Hong Kong but I feel perfectly safe. Just stay away from the protest locations, these locations will be announced in advance through the media.
                It's not like suddenly out of nowhere 100 thousand people show up and surround you.
                It's the same as like e.g. New York is having major in advance announced protests, the rest of the US cities are just unaffected and continue doing what they are doing. And if you do live in New York then yes maybe you would stay at your friends/relatives house for a day or two, but certainly not moving abroad. It's not like protesters would damage your property or hurt you on purpose, it's just the nuisance and inconvenience.
                Last edited by hakjie11; 08-16-2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• It’s not the protesters who I’m worried about. It’s about mainland China’s army massing outside the city’s borders ready to come in, and escalate into something like Tiananmen Square in1989!
                  MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

• Of course I can't predict the future, but I would say it takes a lot lot more then current situation to provoke the same historical situation.
                    Hong Kong people has been through really a lot (you can look it up) , financial crisis, property crash, sars epidemic and although it is not an easy situation today, it is another difficult period HK people will weather through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                      It’s not the protesters who I’m worried about. It’s about mainland China’s army massing outside the city’s borders ready to come in, and escalate into something like Tiananmen Square in1989!
                      That is extremely unlikely. Just because China has an army on Hong Kong's doorstep doesn't mean they will enter Hong Kong. The political and economic consequences in Hong Kong will be too much for anyone, even China, to bear. They are saying and acting like they can step in but ultimately they won't. They are just doing it for show and mostly show to the mainland Chinese people.

Comment

• HKDL castle model revealed at D23 Expo. It looks good to me in this picture. Photo is from DAPs_Magic's twitter.
                        Last edited by Asa; 08-22-2019, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• It will be called "Castle of Magical Dreams".

Somehow I found the new castle pic to be very similar to the iconic Walt Disney Studios opening scene.

No info about HKDL's Avengers ride. It seems WDC has not approved any design by WDI yet.

Comment

• The castle looks good indeed, looks like HKDL finally received some good stuff.

Btw The Spiderman ride in the US might have some shared technology of our disappointing Ant-Man ride (without the AR part of course)?
                            The ride is about shooting Spiderbots...looks like the Swarmbots in the Ant-Man ride but spiderman themed?
                            I do like the ride vehicle and the use of AR glasses but I hope it is not all screen based shooting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spiderbots.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	8600500

Comment

• A 360 degree video of the Castle of Magical Dreams.

Comment

• D23 Expo did tease about the Avengers Headquarters which will be built in Phase 2. "This building, which will open in phase two, will become the future entrance to a brand-new E-Ticket attraction where you will step onboard a Quinjet and fly alongside the Avengers in an epic adventure to Wakanda and beyond!

You will team up alongside the Avengers in a battle to save our world against one of the most powerful villains they have ever faced. Imagineers are hard at work conceiving an all-new innovative ride system to put you in the middle of this action."

I can see Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Captain America(?) and the Wakandan army in the last piece of concept art. So it is a big battle. Apparently riders will "sky dive" into this battle.

I believe this is the Avengers E-ticket that is being designed BOTH for DCA and Hong Kong Disneyland. Maybe WDS Paris will get it, too. But clearly WDI are having difficulty with the designs and it is delayed. Still, HKDL is not expecting it to open in 2023 which is 4 years from now so WDI still has time.

Maybe the guests from Anaheim, Hong Kong and Paris will be called upon to join this Wakandan battle together? I think it would be REALLY AMAZING if the riders from the 3 parks would be able to interact with each other in the ride's battle. That would be hugely impressive if WDI can pull it off. It shouldn't be so hard with today's tech.
                                Last edited by Asa; 08-27-2019, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Arendelle - World of Frozen concept arts.

"At Hong Kong Disneyland, guests will be able to experience the world of “Frozen” like never before – enjoying its sights, sounds, cuisines and traditions. The new “Frozen” area will feature a one-of-a-kind coaster called Wandering Oaken’s Sliding Sleighs that will take guests on a winding journey through Arendelle. Each experience on Wandering Oaken’s Sliding Sleighs begins when you visit Oaken’s infamous store. Then, Olaf and Sven help pull your sled to the top of the lift before sending you on your way.

Frozen Ever After – the popular attraction at Epcot – will also be opening in the Resort’s new “Frozen” area. Frozen Ever After takes guests on an adventurous journey through the kingdom of Arendelle. And during visits, guests will have the chance to see Elsa create a beautiful “winter-in-summer” day."

I don't think HKDL's Frozen Ever After will be an identical clone of the ride from EPCOT. I think WDI will take advantage of the chance to use better ride technology, also I still think the boats will splash into the lake. Although I have no evidence...

Comment

• Mr. B posted a video on facebook which shows the new Iron Man Experience video with the new Castle of Magical Dreams and Frozen area. (Although somehow Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster's golden dome remains.) Mr. B also commented that the Fantasyland Train Station has received a new design.

Well, I did say way back that the Fantasyland Train Station has always been included in the Frozen area expansion plans. I am quite certain some work will be done on the station.
                                    Last edited by Asa; 08-28-2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• The Avengers ride looks like a hybrid between Star Tours and Soaring ride combined with the huge display of Avatar ride.
                                      My guess would be that the Soaring type seats will be lifted out of the Quinjet (star tours system) vehicle when passengers reaches the battleground and passengers will be watching a huge screen similar to Avatar ride simulating flying around the battlefield. At the end of the battle, passengers will be lifted back into the Quinjet and flying back to the base.

Comment

• HKDLer on wdwmagic forum said HKDL signed a 5 year deal in 2016 to have Star Wars makeover, bringing in Hyperspace Mountain, Jedi Training, as well as Star Wars Command Post. That deal is set to end in 2021, meaning the Star Wars theme will be removed then. That means Space Mountain is the ride that will receive a new theme.

HKDLer also said Starliner Diner will become a Marvel themed restaurant.

Comment

• Normally I would be super excited, but given the recent failure of the reimagined Ant-Man ride (it has a consistent lower queuing time compared to the older Iron Man Experience)
                                          I don't have high hopes for it.
                                          I think what we can expect are :
                                          1/. the same roller coaster system and exactly the same track but just with repainted re-themed vehicles.
                                          2/. a better HD projection system onto the dome
                                          3/. better and louder music

The original schedule is for "the unknown reimagined ride" to be ready and open in 2021.
                                          Since no official announcement have been made yet and let's say they announce it later this year, this won't be a major transformation given the time remaining to complete and open it. (Similar limited transformation of when Space Mountain turned into Hyper Space Mountain)

As for hero theme, normally I would bet my money on Spiderman and Guardians of the galaxy, but due to the strong focus on Spiderman in other parks and Guardians already having a tower of terror ride, my healthy guess would be ...sigh...Captain Marvel ( I watched the movie and I don't like it at all, but that's just me ).
                                          Reasons :
                                          1/. I think HKDL doesn't want the female visitors to be left out of the Marvel magic especially in terms of merchandise and sales. (Wasp is not a leading female hero if you know what I mean...)
                                          2/. I do think Asia Parks would prefer "masked" hero's, it is so much easier to cast Asians under the mask and since Captain Marvel has received a mask in the Endgame movie...
                                          and :
                                          3/. watch this Marvel action in space starting at 11:32 :
                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iCZ45XTiUU
                                          watch starting at 11:32

It is simply the perfect action to be used in the Space Mountain reimagined ride.
                                          Captain Marvel fighting off Zola's army in Space.
                                          Zola's army on earth has been taken care by Iron Man.
                                          Zola's invasion in the computer system has been taken care by Antman and Wasp
                                          So only the space remains I guess?
                                          Last edited by hakjie11; 08-30-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X