Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

What's next for Hong Kong Disneyland?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asa View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	alien-swirling-saucers-rendering.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	8510921

After the re-theming of Buzz Light Astro Blasters to S.H.I.E.L.D ride next year, I think it might be a good idea to bring the currently under-construction (at DHS in WDW) Alien Swirling Saucers to the empty plot of land next to Toy Story Land. It should be relatively cheap to do and it will bring Buzz and the highly popular Aliens back. They can add a Pizza Planet restaurant as well, since there is no pizza restaurant in the park right now.

Of course people want Toy Story Mania and that would be nice. But the costs is probably a big obstacle.
    Perhaps we will all find out after like 2021

Comment

HKDL CEO Samuel Lau was asked yesterday at Disney Explorers Lodge opening if the park will suffer any delays in its expansion project, due to the long and extended debate in LegCo. He said the park will / should be able to catch up on the time loss and he expects the projects to still be completed according to the original timeline.
      Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
      Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
      Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
      Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post

Completely agree Asa, and just like you said, I want Pizza, Buzz AND Toy Story Mania 3.0.

Btw I really think we need more dining variety in HKDL , I really liked the Blue Lagoon Restaurant at Paris Disney which is located inside the ride building of Pirates of Caribbean. I hope something similar is planned in the Frozen area.
        I keep asking myself why can't they build a 2-floor restaurant with more seats which people can really taste the food and the ambience and no need to wait a long line or people waiting your table. And I hope they are not leaving the restuarants in Adventureland to rot too.

Comment

Speaking of the Jungle River Cruise, I found a footage of the Story-telling Jungle River Cruise Holloween Event, 2015 Hong Kong Disneyland Halloween - Curse of the Emerald Trinity (Full). It worked out quite interesting and appealing to me. Maybe a strong story line can help re-imagine an old attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by ree523 View Post

I keep asking myself why can't they build a 2-floor restaurant with more seats which people can really taste the food and the ambience and no need to wait a long line or people waiting your table. And I hope they are not leaving the restuarants in Adventureland to rot too.
            I think because the park hours are so short (10:00am to 8:30pm), guests struggle to do everything so few people actually sit down and enjoy a proper meal. Only people with Magic Access or multi day passes will do that.

Most people still have the idea that HKDL is a small park and they can do it all in one day, then when they arrive they realize it is not happening due to the shorter park hours.

Comment

Hey guys I discovered something else, (maybe it is old news, but want to share it anyway)

If you go through the concept arts of the first HKDL expansions (ref to mystic manor, grizzly gulch, toy story land) you will see an other unused concept that looks a lot like the Indiana Jones temple of the crystal skull ride area (Tokyo Disney Sea has it).

Does it mean that Indiana Jones was proposed for HKDL?
              Since it was not chosen, but the concepts are already there, maybe a chance we get it in the future?
              Indiana Jones is really a great ride. One of the best.

I am referring to the one in the middle :
              Click image for larger version

Name:	HKconcept.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	8511794

Very similar to :
              Tokyo Disney Sea's Indiana Jones Temple of the Crystal Skull ride building :
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IndianaJonesTempleoftheCrystalSkull.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	8511795

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post

Most people still have the idea that HKDL is a small park and they can do it all in one day, then when they arrive they realize it is not happening due to the shorter park hours.
                I pretty much believe that most people (unless they are Disneyland Fans) still consider HKDL as a one-day park and the situation is not likely to be changed unless with its second gate opened. I think that the line between one-day or two-day park is blur to non-Disneyland fans, the length they can afford to spend in HKDL is due to their trip length. And if they are going all three Asia Disneyland park, it is fair for them to spend least time in HKDL. SHDL, with its its colossal in size + 2 hotel a Mickeytown+ a lake is a two-day park from the very beginning. ( it's long queue time help killing people time too) TDL+TDS is a two days (or more) park without doubt. It is always fair to think HKDL is still a one-day park at some point. And point to added, if guests visiting the park on non peak weekday, guests are likely to be able do all they desire within a day, because the lines are no so long.

--------------------------------------------------
                I got some idea to the park, it's just my two cents:

I think the park right now has not enough rides for family visitors. HKDL should add some playground-type equipment to the land, it is fun and it cost not much to build. I know safety is an concern, but if something like the TDS Mermaid Lagoon, both parents and kids would like to spend time in.

After watching some youtube video of the SHDL's Camp Discovery, I think that attraction is a ingenious and exciting! And this is what the HKDL is lacking, it's not only land issue but also the variety of activities that guest can do. HKDL need some activities which guests need some participation and sometimes interaction too, now all the highlight right now is thrill rides and dark rides. And will there be a chance that the character meeting experience can be upgraded to something like the Enchanted Tales with Belle Experience in WDW one-day when the castle work is done?

They may consider renovating one or two idling restaurant/stall to some recurring carnival games stall (May be something like the Frontierland Shootin' Exposition?) or pin trade booth, this bring fun to guests. I understand all these will increase the operation cost, but I think they may reallocate the resources. It appears to me that some of its merchandise stands are a bit redundant... in my opinion.

Comment

Since it was not chosen, but the concepts are already there, maybe a chance we get it in the future?
                  This was great if it's true, the Adventureland would had been completed XD. Did they replace the Indiana Jones ride to the Toy Story Land? I looked at the concept art, it takes up quite much of land.I think if this was an abandoned agenda, we may see it in Shanghai soon.
                  Last edited by ree523; 05-19-2017, 08:12 PM.

Comment

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...oughts-on-hkdl

Even way back in 2008, experienced and knowledgeable Disney fan WDW1974 already claimed that HKDL is a full day park. That was before even Toy Story Land was opened.

People who still call HKDL a one day park are just calling it out of what they heard, not from personal experience.

Comment

Hey guys I discovered something else, (maybe it is old news, but want to share it anyway)

If you go through the concept arts of the first HKDL expansions (ref to mystic manor, grizzly gulch, toy story land) you will see an other unused concept that looks a lot like the Indiana Jones temple of the crystal skull ride area (Tokyo Disney Sea has it).

I am referring to the one in the middle :
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	HKconcept.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	8511794

Very similar to :
                      Tokyo Disney Sea's Indiana Jones Temple of the Crystal Skull ride building :
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IndianaJonesTempleoftheCrystalSkull.JPG Views:	1 Size:	38.1 KB ID:	8511795

Just before everyone is excited with the concept art. I think the middle picture of a Mayan Temple is created by S.W. Wilson of Ideal Buildout.

http://idealbuildout.blogspot.com/20...-triptych.html

But that said, I do believe they'll close Festival of the Lion King for a new attraction like Indiana Jones, because:

1. The Moana stage show will be more interactive and better for Adventureland's crowd management.

2. Lion King has been showing since 2005, and Shanghai now has its own version (cannibalization.)

3. They possibly didn't want to announce the show's ending to minimize cast impact before the Legislature approval.

4. The expansion price tag, at USD1.4 billion, is extremely high. As comparison, the GG/MP/TSL expansion back in 2009 only cost exactly one third (USD466 million) at that time. Tokyo's current expansion is only USD674 million, in today's dollar. There must be something in this round of expansion besides Marvel, Frozen, and the castle.
                      Last edited by wali; 05-20-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying Wali. Wilson did a great artwork job. I really liked his HKDL-Sea concepts.
                        I really hope for a re-imagined Indiana Jones sometime...

As for the expansion tag for HKDL, of course it was budgeted with an excessive reserve to counter inflation and rising construction costs, but I don't expect a big hidden surprise (the scale of a cars land, avatar or star wars land) besides a re-imagined ride for 2021 which I really hope to be Jungle Cruise.
                        The longer the construction takes to finish it (5 years for HKDL vs 3 years for TDL), the more they need to spend.
                        HK being the most expensive Asian City (and 2nd in the world) to build anything doesn't help either.
                        http://www.scmp.com/business/china-b...ction-projects
                        Let's say that it would have taken probably 100% more to build the same 2009 expansions if we were to do it today, an easy reference would be the crazy pricing evolution of apartment in 2009 vs 2017. That's why I can't imagine how much money it would take to build a 2nd gate, I think double the amount of Gate 1 won't be exaggerated by the time they are planning it.

Yesterday I went on a routinely visit to HKDL with my family, while enjoying the rides for the 1000th time, I can't help to notice how compact or let's say how efficient the attraction buildings were build next to each other in particular in the Tomorrow land area. There are virtually no waste of space, it is build with the same mindset as the new Hong Kong apartments, no inch is wasted, everything has a purpose and makes sense. If you then imagine that the Marvel Area still needs to be squeezed into it, it will be an entertaining but exhausting visual clash with every ride screaming for attention.

I think people will continue to see HKDL as a 1 day park even after the Frozen-Marvel expansions, they are comparing the Disney parks in terms of land size, but visitors will be impressed on how HKDL could squeeze the same qty of rides efficiently into a tiny space and how well maintained the HKDL park is.

What HKDL is also lacking is the teenager group visitors. I have seen a lot of teenager visitors mostly in small groups of 4 in other Disneylands especially Japan. HKDL seems to be serving mostly the group of family with small children at this moment. I hope the big Marvel ride in 2023 will attract some of these age group visitors. Therefore I think it is safe to say that the re-imagined ride in 2021 won't be a musical theatre show of some kind, I think the park desperately need rides targeted to the older kids by that time.
                        Last edited by hakjie11; 05-21-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Btw did you guys see the new Avatar motion ride video?

Flight of Passage Full Ride POV at Pandora: World of Avatar :
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMxeDMPvSnI

That is so sick, I want one here in HKDL.

Comment

Maybe the big Marvel attraction in 2023 is something similar.

Comment

As for the 2023 big Marvel Ride for HKDL :

I did some further guessing myself again.
                              Remember the concept art of the Star Wars land for the US parks, specifically the parked Millennium Falcon in the Mountain Cave.
                              Well that turned out to be some sort of Flight Simulator Video Game where quests can pilot the Falcon itself.

Now if you look at the concept art for our Marvel Area, we have a parked Avengers Quinjet plane on a hangar type of construction as well as one in the sky returning to the hangar.
                              Both the hangar and the Quinjets could point towards a similar type of Flight Simulator where we can pilot a bad xxs Quinjet ourselves?

I know we have an Iron Man plane motion ride just next to it, but other US parks got Star Tours as well and they still get the Millennium Falcon, so...

Anyway just guessing...
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	HK-Disneyland-Marvel-Featured-.jpg Views:	1 Size:	187.9 KB ID:	8512310

QUINJET FLYING ANIMATION HERE :
                              https://media.giphy.com/media/26vUEC...HaHC/giphy.gif

Click image for larger version  Name:	47ii.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	8512313

Click image for larger version  Name:	Quinjet Interior.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	8512311

Click image for larger version  Name:	Quinjet.png Views:	1 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	8512315

Last edited by hakjie11; 05-22-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

I personally don't want another pure simulation ride. I love the Spider-Man ride, I know it's Universal... but hey it's Marvel too. Actually if they could do something like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, that would be perfect.

Speaking on costs again, Hong Kong back in 2009 is like Tokyo today. All the constructions like subway lines, cross-border bridges, the cruise terminal, even the Ocean Park expansion were drawing up labour and material costs. But now due to Legislative backlog there are few public constructions fighting for resources. (Tokyo needed to scale back its current expansion due to Olympic constructions taking priority and jacking up costs, I heard.) Hopefully the USD1.4b can stretch into a couple of surprises.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X