Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asa View Post
    Click image for larger version  Name:	202004_FL_Drone_Image.jpg Views:	100 Size:	256.1 KB ID:	8617330

Another drone image of Fantasyland with Frozen expansion. I think it is very clear now the FEA will not splash into the lake as I wished. What a wasted opportunity.
    The roller coaster in Frozen land has a part that kinda touches the lake surface. The direction of the drop is facing towards the Arendelle Castle, this should be really nice at night when everything dimly lit and when you come out the caves on top of the mountain.
    BTW I noticed that a considerable part of the coaster is made of the mountain. Hope to see some nicely done animatronics.

Comment

• Disney Magic Kingdom blog video. The cranes are moving and workers can be seen, so work is clearly ongoing. The castle has lights on at night, too.
      Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
      Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
      Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
      Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

• DSNY talks about the upcoming Wandering Oaken's Sliding Sleigh coaster.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	EasGzNIWkAANsZg?format=jpg.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	8620565

HKDL of Fantasy snapped this shot of the Frozen Ever After ride vehicle.

Comment

• The work on Castle of Magical Dreams is almost finished. I think it looks good overall but just a little too tall. It is almost like a pencil.

The castle wall has turned dark brown. I like the colour but hope the entire castle wall is also re-painted as well.

Comment

Name:	2020-06-18-5.54.38_2476972645eeb3a15ceade_16238940765eeb4d4753dda.png
Views:	458
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	8620760

Olu Mel has arrived in HKDL. The way things are going for Duffy & friends, they really ought to open a bigger shop and/or themed area. There is plenty of space behind the current shop (Main Street Cinema) for expansion. Maybe they can copy DisneySea in having a stage show for the 6 of them.

Comment

The work on Castle of Magical Dreams is almost finished. I think it looks good overall but just a little too tall. It is almost like a pencil.

The castle wall has turned dark brown. I like the colour but hope the entire castle wall is also re-painted as well.
                Ah! So Pretty! I'm glad this park is growing beyond a "budget park" and becoming it's own thing through many expansions and re-designs. The castle really cements it as it's own thing!!!

Comment

Name:	Marvel-themed-area.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	8620976

I was thinking about the railroad and the Avengers ride. It is quite clear in the concept art that the train "disappears" into the Avengers building. So maybe there is a good reason for the Imagineers to add a Tomorrowland/Marvel land station for the train?

Afterall it would be rather disappointing for guests to ride the train into this massive building, see everything about the Avengers, only to be told there is no station here, and they will have to walk back from Main Street station.

It is also not like they will need a massive budget to build a station since the rail tracks go right through the building. They just need to include it in the building's design.

Comment

Name:	2019_HKDLattendanceAsia.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	8623585

2019 HKDL attendance was 5,695,000, slightly less than Ocean Park and much lower than both Chimelong Ocean Kingdom and Shanghai Disneyland at > 11 million.

I think HKDL and HKOP did okay given half of 2019 HK had the social movement and unrest. But for 2020 the figures will be really bad.

Strangely though, HKDL had a 15% drop while HKOP only dropped 1.7%. That difference is hard to explain... except that HKDL had a much higher figure compared with HKOP in 2018.

Comment

• https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...taff-subsidies

Hong Kong Disneyland, co-owned by the government and Walt Disney, received HK$153 million in wage subsidies for around 5,000 employees in the seventh batch of the government's employment support scheme. HK Disneyland will not be allowed to layoff any one of the 5,000 employees otherwise it will be penalized.

I think the money will be important for the park. I am not thinking about the expansions anymore because the park's survival in the long term is now a very real question.

Comment

• Video courtesy of HKDL of Fantasy

HKDL is testing new fireworks display. This should be part of its new night time spectacular.

Comment

• https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/ch/compone...abChangeable=0

HKDR has lost its right to the second phase land. HK govt thinks HKDR should focus on developing and expanding the current resort, the 2nd phase expansion plot will therefore not be renewed. HK Int'l Themepark Ltd had priority right to purchase the land. After the rights expires tomorrow, HKDR will not have priority.

Well, we still don't know what will happen to the Avengers plot so there is even less chance WDC is thinking about HKDL 2nd park. HKDL has never performed to the satisfaction of HK govt and WDC, also HK has a serious land shortage problem, so it is only logical that the second phase land is taken away from HKDR. Public pressure is simply too great.

Maybe one day HKDR will be able to claim the 2nd phase land back and build on it. But right now I won't hold my breath. It is simply way to far ahead and not worth anticipating about.
                          Last edited by Asa; 09-22-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/ch/compone...abChangeable=0

HKDR has lost its right to the second phase land. HK govt thinks HKDR should focus on developing and expanding the current resort, the 2nd phase expansion plot will therefore not be renewed. HK Int'l Themepark Ltd had priority right to purchase the land. After the rights expires tomorrow, HKDR will not have priority.

Well, we still don't know what will happen to the Avengers plot so there is even less chance WDC is thinking about HKDL 2nd park. HKDL has never performed to the satisfaction of HK govt and WDC, also HK has a serious land shortage problem, so it is only logical that the second phase land is taken away from HKDR. Public pressure is simply too great.

Maybe one day HKDR will be able to claim the 2nd phase land back and build on it. But right now I won't hold my breath. It is simply way to far ahead and not worth anticipating about.
                            I kinda not like this move the HKG is doing. I know the HK Govt is reacting to public pressure. The reason why we are not seeing Phase 2 expansion is because HKDL is not growing as fast as anticipated. Once HKDL start expanding, we see this happening in Anaheim where Disney is forced to buy off property to make room for its expansion. As for housing, what's going on with Lantau expansion for tomorrow. You know the whole point of having Disneyland is suppose to have magical place where you do not see local development.
                            Last edited by mclubber; 09-22-2020, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/202...00822_001.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	bkn-20200923120813516-0923_00822_001_01p.jpg?20200923133502.jpg Views:	8 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	8626526

If you read the local newspapers, then you will find that most, if not all, of them think leaving the undeveloped land is a huge waste.

WDC should have gone for a second park instead of the current expansion project IF they had wanted the land. But they didn't or couldn't. So WDC now takes it back because HKG thinks you won't need it for at least 5 years or maybe even more, which is true. (We don't even know if Avengers plot will be used.)

Personally I will not consider the land as prime land. I certainly won't want to live there. It is way too far away from anything and the transport costs (to even Tsing Yi) are very high.

More info added to the on.cc report, a legislator said the land has height control so long term housing is out of the question. HKG will probably use it to build sports facilities or parks or similar. That will allow WDC to buy it back in the future when it is ready.

WDC said it is extremely disappointed with the HK govt decision.
                              Last edited by Asa; 09-23-2020, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...nger-an-option

Disneyland's Penny's Bay site expansion no longer an option

Local | 23 Sep 2020 12:18 pm

Hongkong International Theme Parks should instead focus on the development and expansion of the existing resort in the coming few years, rather than geographic expansion, the government says.

The option for Hong Kong Disneyland Resort to physically expand by purchasing the nearby Penny Bay's site, will not be extended, the government said in a statement today.

Hongkong International Theme Parks should instead focus on the development and expansion of the existing resort in the coming few years, rather than geographic expansion into the site, the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau said.

The option will expire after tomorrow, if it is not extended on agreement by the government and The Walt Disney Company, the bureau said.

Following the government's decision, the right of HKITP to purchase the site will not be extended, the bureau said. Under the deed signed in 2000, the joint-venture company between the government and the Walt Disney Company, was granted the option to purchase the site for Disneyland's possible expansion.

For the fiscal year ending September, 2019, Disneyland reported a a net loss of HK$105 million amid a challenging environment in the fourth quarter.

Annual attendance dropped by 4 percent to 6.5 million. Hotel occupancy stood at 74 percent. During the year, Hong Kong residents accounted for 41 percent of the visitors.

Disneyland is preparing to celebrate its 15th anniversary later this year with the launch of The Castle of Magical Dreams.

Hong Kong Disneyland has contributed HK$108.5 billion for Hong Kong's economy, equivalent to 0.33 per cent of the gross domestic product, since opening in 2005, the government statement said.

As of the end of fiscal 2017, the Hong Kong government holds 53 percent in the company and The Walt Disney Company holds 47 percent. There are 11 directors on the board.

Comment

• Hmm, when HKDL starts expanding I guess HKDL only option to expand is to gut out the parking lot for more attractions since Phase 2 land is now a no go. which we see they did with Disney California Adventures. Maybe use the land from Inspiration Lake for some attraction later on.

Comment

If you read the local newspapers, then you will find that most, if not all, of them think leaving the undeveloped land is a huge waste.
                                    Agreed with you there. But if there is no profit from the business and that neither side (hkgov and disney) are gonna pony up more money for expansion how can you build?

Personally I will not consider the land as prime land. I certainly won't want to live there. It is way too far away from anything and the transport costs (to even Tsing Yi) are very high.
                                    Penny Bay was specifically selected to be out of the way from any human civilization in HK because its a magical place. So that why transit is bad and going to work to Central or TST is bad. Another place is Tin Shui Wai, high transport cost not convient place to live.

More info added to the on.cc report, a legislator said the land has height control so long term housing is out of the question. HKG will probably use it to build sports facilities or parks or similar. That will allow WDC to buy it back in the future when it is ready.

WDC said it is extremely disappointed with the HK govt decision.
                                    Once politics comes into business it really sucks!

Comment

• https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...door-site-will

Click image for larger version

Name:	8d53b1f4-fd89-11ea-9bb5-57ca6b07e40a_1320x770_075820.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	8626577

Report by SCMP. It looks like the site will be reserved for quarantine facilities in the foreseeable future. As can be seen above the site is already half occupied by it.

They could also build temporary housing but I doubt anyone would want to live next to a quarantine centre with very high transport costs. I suspect they might just build a few sports facilities there, like a baseball ground or sth that is not already available elsewhere.

Comment

• Rumors had Ocean Park moving over to Phase 2 which is why the govt rejected Disney to occupy the land based on this rthk article.
                                        Ocean Park said it's against the idea of moving and being located next to Hong Kong Disneyland after the government decided not to to extend an option...

Comment

• Originally posted by mclubber View Post
                                          Rumors had Ocean Park moving over to Phase 2 which is why the govt rejected Disney to occupy the land based on this rthk article.
                                          It makes no sense to spend the huge amount of money required to move Ocean Park to the site opposite HKDL. First of all, it is super expensive logistical exercise; second, Ocean Park has very little appeal nowadays, especially to the mainlanders who now prefer Chimelong Ocean Kingdom in Zhuhai instead; third, Ocean Park in general is of inferior quality to HKDL and Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, putting it opposite HKDL will make it look bad.

If you ask me, then I would rather Ocean Park be demolished for housing than for HKDL phase 2 land.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X