Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney's focus has always been mainland China, I think. It's just that they couldn't get into the local media industry (they still can't) and their feature film showings limited. In order to warm the Chinese population to its characters and franchises they needed a jumping board. HKDL served that purpose. HKDL is opened when mainland tourists started flooding the city. Indeed, for many years the mainland Chinese proportion reached half of all HKDL visitors (their initial forecast was one third.)

I read that Chongqing and Sichuan, in southwest China, are courting for Disneyland. Make sense as that region is densely populated. Beijing could be another choice but given the cold winters, air pollution, and Universal Studios, it may be less likely now.

Now back to HKDL, I think they'll need to retool it to be Asian facing. Indian visitors to HK dropped but visitors from southeast Asia grew substantially. Halal cuisines and the Explorers Lodge may just be the beginning. We may see more tropical themes in the future à la Moana. (I know, they also have a Scandinavian theme coming but I think it contrasts well with the hot weather of HK.)

Comment

I think Disney will build its seventh resort either in India, Middle East or South America first. There is a huge demand for Disney content in India while the Gulf countries have money burning holes in their pockets.
      Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
      Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
      Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
      Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
      Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

Originally posted by John1023 View Post

Can you share which forum?
        Thanks!
        If I remember rght it was .

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post
          I think Disney will build its seventh resort either in India, Middle East or South America first. There is a huge demand for Disney content in India while the Gulf countries have money burning holes in their pockets.
          I have read some forums/news in the past explaining why Disney did not plan yet for a resort in India and Middle East. (South America I don't know).
          http://www.business-standard.com/art...1300237_1.html
          http://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/200...heme-park.html

Disney certainly does not ignore the large population in both regions, but it seems to be largely related to local economic issues, infrastructure not in place, non-transparent governments and religious issues in which Disney does not feel comfortable to operate in.
          As it currently stands, India is still around 20 years behind China in terms of development in all kinds of aspects. I believe there is still a huge difference of income per capita China Vs India of around 2-3 times. So while the population in India is huge, the spending power is much less.
          As for Middle East, I remember Dubai has repeatedly been inviting Disney to come open a park there, but Disney did not go for it, resulting in lots of other very big parks (Motiongate, IMG, Ferrari,...) opening there. But the attendance figures for 2016-2017 were so poor none of them made it to the top 50 in the world. Disney must have predicted that already from their study.
          I think both regions are certainly a must-open for the future, but I think for the 7th park it might be too soon.

Now that I think of it, it does make sense for Disney to open a 3rd park in China (2nd largest economy).
          The economical benefits & political ties with local and central government (smart Iger has made himself a good personal friend of Xi) are just right. They spend a decade studying the China market and building the park and most importantly the relationship with the government. They will benefit financially immediately from all the work they have done it the past by just opening another park to cash in. It is almost a certainty that the 3rd park will be a success just based on today's figures.
          But by building a new park in another country, Disney has to go through all these preparation/relationship work again and the outcome is still not as secure as a proven region like China. It is probably the safest bet for Disney at the moment and they can already depend on their large teams/resources in Shanghai and Hong Kong to prepare the 3rd park. China certainly has the population to sustain another Disney park, the largest cities in China are easily bigger then most countries in the world.
          Last edited by hakjie11; 06-30-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post
            Guys, a 3rd Disney park in China is possible according to Iger!!!

From a Iger-Bloomberg interview :
            https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mpId=flipboard

"In China, there’s potential for Disney to build a second park (besides HK and Shanghai) in the long run, Iger said, adding it would focus on the Shanghai resort first. A Toy Story themed land opening is planned for next year.

“Before we really look to the horizon geographically, we will focus on expanding this park,” Iger said. “Might we build in another city over time? Yes. There’s a great likelihood that we will. But it’s way too early.”
            i saw it to. it is too early to open another park, and is it really possible to open 3 disney parks in china? i mean since the country holds 1 billion of the population

Comment

Originally posted by wali View Post
              Disney's focus has always been mainland China, I think. It's just that they couldn't get into the local media industry (they still can't) and their feature film showings limited. In order to warm the Chinese population to its characters and franchises they needed a jumping board. HKDL served that purpose. HKDL is opened when mainland tourists started flooding the city. Indeed, for many years the mainland Chinese proportion reached half of all HKDL visitors (their initial forecast was one third.)

I read that Chongqing and Sichuan, in southwest China, are courting for Disneyland. Make sense as that region is densely populated. Beijing could be another choice but given the cold winters, air pollution, and Universal Studios, it may be less likely now.

Now back to HKDL, I think they'll need to retool it to be Asian facing. Indian visitors to HK dropped but visitors from southeast Asia grew substantially. Halal cuisines and the Explorers Lodge may just be the beginning. We may see more tropical themes in the future à la Moana. (I know, they also have a Scandinavian theme coming but I think it contrasts well with the hot weather of HK.)
              You have some point. it is likely that one park is in south, and the other in the east. like need parks in middle, and North side, However, don't know if opening the third park really that possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ridetotheworld View Post

i saw it to. it is too early to open another park, and is it really possible to open 3 disney parks in china? i mean since the country holds 1 billion of the population
                US has 2 much larger parks for around 330 million people. China has 1.39 billion of people. So if just in terms of population, I do think that even a 4th Park makes sense on the long term.
                Last edited by hakjie11; 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ree523 View Post

I wonder if the company have signed a memorandum with a city already, but just to keep it low. Just like the company did with SDL. HKDL opened in 2007, I remember the news at that time said no planing to open another disneyland in China yet.
                  Yes I also think that discussions are already ongoing with several China cities, as it would take years of negotiation to squeeze out the best deals and let the cities fight among themselves. Chongqing Vs Chendu (rumored)

https://qz.com/719556/days-after-dis...ning-a-second/

I do think that Chongqing will make chance, I mean they must have discussed something with Disney already before they made these comments. (ref to the above link article)
                  Chongqing is a booming city with lots of land for development with good infrastructure and within the reach of around 118 million potential customers.

According to Wiki :
                  "Chongqing belongs to the West Triangle Economic Zone is an economic zone designated by the Chinese government comprising Chengdu, Chongqing and Xi'an.[1] Created as part of China's Western Development strategy, the West Triangle Economic Zone contributes nearly 40% of Western China's GDP.[2] Furthermore, Chongqing is one of China's five National Central Cities, while both Chengdu and Xi'an are Regional Central Cities.[3]

The economies of all three cities are highly developed and serve as attractive investment locations within China. Many major international companies have factories or branches in the region, including Microsoft, Ford Motors, Citigroup, and over 200 other Fortune 500 companies.

Overall, the zone has a population of 118 million and covers 220,000 square kilometers. Various major expressways and railways run through the zone, and each of the three cities has a major international airport."

With HKDL functioning as the Disney Park for the PRD (Pearl River Delta) region with a population of around 65 million, 3 parks should cover the most densely populated Zones in China already. (I think it is safe to say that Beijing will not have a Disney park with an Universal Studio's park in construction)
                  Last edited by hakjie11; 06-19-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Thinking even further:

If Disney were really to open a 3rd park then I am quite sure Universal Studios will look for a similar opportunity if their Beijing park turns out to be as successful.
                    In fact they might already did...

Shanghai and Chongqing (if True) will be off limits with a Disney Park there.
                    So it will most likely be PRD region for Universal's 2nd China Park.

If you guys still remember this rumor :
                    http://www.ejinsight.com/20140801-un...ark-in-zhuhai/

Could this be a leaked preparation talk for a 2nd Universal China Park IF Beijing turns out to be successful? If you look at the infrastructure works, especially the Zhuhai-HK-Macau bridge, it certainly was a big bargaining chip to attract Universal to open a park there.
                    If yes, this would be great for HK citizens, a big Universal Studio park nearby. Hope this rumor turns out to be true, this would force HKDL to further expand its Gate 2 for sure.
                    Last edited by hakjie11; 06-19-2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

http://www.ejinsight.com/20160126-fo...park-in-china/

The same site reports that 20th Century Fox wants to open a park in Guangzhou or Zhuhai, too.

http://www.cityofzhuhai.com/2017-05/22/c_77713.htm

Legoland is going to open in Zhuhai.

Comment

Legoland + Universal Studio together in Zhuhai, this really freaking me out. I know this is a good news to a theme park lover, but as a Hong Konger, this sounds like a nightmare. The competition is too keen. Originally, I thought it would be a silver lining after the completion of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge, which would bring guests from Pearl River Delta area to Hong Kong. I think HK has the geographic advantage, but just because the jet ship fare is too high to lure visitors in. But now, 2 international theme park in Zhuhai. Why bother to come to HK? The travelling cost is also lower for mainlanders to have an excursion to inland city than HK, likely easier to acquire a permit too.

Moreover, I think if Sichuan got the new Disney Park, people from the Pan Pearl River Delta, which may be part of the current visitors source / potential visitors (including Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangxi, Jiangxi, Hunan, Fujian, Hainan)will prefer the Chinese feature, Putonghua speaking new park.

Last year, visitors from Mainland China takes up 36% of the whole visitors while 25% of it from countries overseas.

The worse senrio I can think of is another internation park coming to the south Asia cities in a decade, which is the homeland of the target oversea customer of the HKDL.

(I know I hold pessimistic view, it's just freaking me out as I said)
                        Last edited by ree523; 06-20-2017, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Legoland + Universal Studio together in Zhuhai, this really freaking me out. I know this is a good news to a theme park lover, but as a Hong Konger, this sounds like a nightmare. The competition is too keen. Originally, I thought it would be a silver lining after the completion of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge, which would bring guests from Pearl River Delta area to Hong Kong. I think HK has the geographic advantage, but just because the jet ship fare is too high to lure visitors in. But now, 2 international theme park in Zhuhai. Why bother to come to HK? The travelling cost is also lower for mainlanders to have an excursion to inland city than HK, likely easier to acquire a permit too.

Moreover, I think if Sichuan got the new Disney Park, people from the Pan Pearl River Delta, which may be part of the current visitors source / potential visitors (including Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangxi, Jiangxi, Hunan, Fujian, Hainan)will prefer the Chinese feature, Putonghua speaking new park.

Last year, visitors from Mainland China takes up 36% of the whole visitors while 25% of it from countries overseas.

The worse senrio I can think of is another internation park coming to the south Asia cities in a decade, which is the homeland of the target oversea customer of the HKDL.

(I know I hold pessimistic view, it's just freaking me out as I said)
                          I use to share the same pessimistic view, but if you look at the situation from a wider perspective, actually it is not that bad.
                          With just a population of 7+ million within a tiny city, we managed to have 2 great theme parks within the "GLOBAL" 20 spots ranking . What are the chances?
                          China central government looks at Hong Kong as part of Pearl River Delta region (specifically the soon bridge connected SAR zones : Zhuhai, Macau & HK). I think an Universal Studio/Legoland Park close-by would work in a beneficial way to Hong Kong. We are not getting them in HK anyway, since Disney has prevented that from happening, so figuratively speaking, if we can't have it in our own backyard then I would prefer to have it right next door at our neighbor's backyard.
                          Imagine living in an area with world's top 3 branded theme parks within only a 1-2 hour driving distance.

Btw I read that Universal Singapore has an annual attendance of only 3 million visitors on average (and declining) and no more land to expand its park.
                          They are a franchised Universal park and are unlikely to get/or pay for any of the recently hyped attractions like Harry Potter, Super Nintendo Land, Skull Island, Fast and Furious and Minions area. There are also not enough economic/infrastructural development in Singapore that would provide a positive outlook to rectify a huge expansion investment to increase its attendance. If Zhuhai is to get a 2nd Universal China park (for sure a sizable one), that would be a big blow to Singapore.
                          That, I would call a bit pessimistic especially if you know several city/country, which Singapore considers a worthy competitor, is getting either a big new park or an expansion to look forward to.
                          Last edited by hakjie11; 06-20-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

The Universal Studios Zhuhai news was frorm 2014 so I don't think it is real.

Comment

Hey guys,

Found a website with all the park developments in Asia listed :

http://www.inparkmagazine.com/update-on-asia/

China/HK

• Hong Kong Disneyland Expansion – 2018-2023

• Lionsgate Entertainment World in Zhuhai – opening in 2018

• Six Flags China multiple projects – first in Jiaxing in 2019+ and Chongqing 2020+

• Universal Studios Beijing theme park destination – opening in 2020+

• Eden Project Qingdao – 2020+

• SeaWorld recently announced a partnership with Zhonghong Group – intend to develop multiple projects for opening in 2020+, both theme parks and indoor LBE attractions

• LEGOLAND Shanghai/Beijing theme parks – 2022+

Japan

• Comcast Corporation recently purchased the remaining shares of USJ to take 100% control indicating their positive outlook for Japan and Asia and further reinvestment possibilities

• Moomin Theme Park Japan – opening in 2018/19

• Super Nintendo World land at Universal Studios Japan (USJ) in Osaka – opening in 2020

• Tokyo Disneyland Expansion – opening in 2020+

Malaysia

• Movie Animation Parks [MAPS] in Ipoh – opening in 2017

• 20th Century Fox World at Genting Highlands – opening in Summer 2018

South Korea and India

• There are several branded theme park/attractions under consideration in South Korea. India is considered the next emerging large-scale market for LBE development after China.

Comment

http://www.themeparx.com/chimelong-o...dom-expansion/

http://www.inparkmagazine.com/chimel...our-new-parks/

Don't forget the very aggressive Chimelong Group, which already announced plans for 4 more theme parks in the Hengqin area. The park received 7.5 million visitors in 2015 and it is just across the border from Macau's Cotai area.

I have been to Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, it is designed by American company PGAV destinations and it is of very high standard. It is clearly a no expense spared development. They always seem to employ the best designers for their attractions. Their night parade is designed by the same designer that developed the Main Street Electrical Parade at Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland.

If you have not been there, it is certainly worthwhile to pay a visit.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Going back to our beloved HKDL expansions, specifically the Marvel area.
                                  I have been trying to figure out what the brown colored structure is from the concept art, the one that seems to replace the door in the alley of the outdoor queuing area of Buzz Lightyear that leads to the cast-member only area.

I was initially thinking that it might be a themed door or backdrop for a meet and greet of Guardians of the Galaxy since it looked a bit like the walls of the new Mission Breakout ride building in the US. But when l looked further, I noticed a building separated by a illuminated alley just right behind the future Shield (Buzz makeover) ride building, the strange thing is that this building on such a short distance from Buzz does not exist yet, I mean its not part of the original Buzz building and it is not part of the current cast-member only area buildings. I double checked it with Google maps. That space should normally be empty.
                                  The proportional size, based on the concept art drawing, should be a smaller construction. I have marked it in Blue color and the Brown Door in Brown color in the below picture.

What do you guys think? Could this be a hint to something else? The new exit with new shop of the future Shield ride maybe?
                                  Or just meet and greet backdrop?

Click image for larger version  Name:	StrangeDoor.JPG Views:	1 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	8518275
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	guardians_tower_modelD.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	8518278
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	StrangeBuilding.JPG Views:	1 Size:	10.4 KB ID:	8518280

Click image for larger version  Name:	Buzz1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	8518279
                                  Last edited by hakjie11; 06-21-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Hakjie11

I think your guess is reasonable, but it will not be the collector's tower. I think if the blue zone may be larger if they need to build a C/D/E ticket ride.

Hope there will be news about HKDL in the D23 expo.

I love the intricatedly detailed back drop of the "Dimensions of Danger", especially the one in Gotg collector's lab. Hope it can be still kept somewhere in HKDL after the event.

---------
                                    No offense, but I won't suggest anyone to the Chimelong group ppark because of their policy on animal rights. I have been to the ocean kingdom in the summer just after it's opened. They locked the brown asian bears outdoor without a shade in the afternoon, the sun was scorching, the bears stood up like a human courting guests for food. Moreover, I remember the polar bear accommodation's temperature was not low enough for a polar animal and the sea turtles were locked in a very very tiny tank. If you google the term "chimelong animal" the first 2 suggestions to search is "abuse" followed by "cruelty".
                                    Last edited by ree523; 06-22-2017, 11:42 PM.

Comment

No offense, but I won't suggest anyone to the Chimelong group ppark because of their policy on animal rights. I have been to the ocean kingdom in the summer just after it's opened. They locked the brown asian bears outdoor without a shade in the afternoon, the sun was scorching, the bears stood up like a human courting guests for food. Moreover, I remember the polar bear accommodation's temperature was not low enough for a polar animal and the sea turtles were locked in a very very tiny tank. If you google the term "chimelong animal" the first 2 suggestions to search is "abuse" followed by "cruelty".
                                      I went in 2015 winter and a lot of things have changed and improved. Things change and move a lot faster over there. It is not the 13th most visited theme park in the world with 7million plus visitors for nothing.

Animal cruelty in China is more due to those shopping malls like Zheng Jia and maybe the other zoos and aquariums.
                                      Last edited by Asa; 06-25-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Again time for some guessing,
                                        There are several reasons that led me to think that the actual Marvel ride attraction is in fact BEHIND the Space Mountain building and not located in the Hangar building itself.

According to Disney-Governments previously released documents, the Marvel Area will include 1 ride only but will feature a number of entertainment offerings/ a number of amazing new venues.

Referring to the Brown color marked area with number 1:
                                        -The Marvel building shown in the concept (the one with the hangar) will for sure NOT cover the entire Marvel area land.
                                        One of the reason would be the complexity of the whole hangar construction due to the 2 Train Tracks in the same building if it were to include the ride into the same Hangar building as well.
                                        By looking at the concept art and using the other existing buildings as proportional reference, I would say that the Hangar building would only use around 50% of the entire available Marvel land.
                                        The other reason would be the costs vs visibility. Disney would not spend money on parts which they know for sure the visitors are not going to see anyway. So a detailed Hangar building stretching all over width of the land would not make sense, since half of it would not be instantly visible due to HyperSpace Mountain blocking its view.
                                        The Hangar building is probably the building where they offer the other "entertainment venues" (non-ride) Probably shops, meet and greet, photo spots, interactive games, shield/Avengers agent training program... This Hangar will function as some sort of Main Street Hub for everything Marvel, it is perfectly nested in the center of all the Marvel rides with a view on the Tomorrowland square.

Referring to the Blue color marked area with number 2 :
                                        -On the left side of the concept art, very narrow, between HyperSpace Mountain and The Hangar building you can actually see some sort of entrance/bridge with lots of people concentrated on that spot. That, I think should be a path leading to another area, in fact I think that path leads to the queuing area of the actual 2023 Marvel ride.
                                        The Marvel ride building itself behind the HyperSpace Mountain, with an entrance path on the left of Hangar, is just much easier to design and build without any train tracks going through that part, but it still remains easily viewable and accessible from the Tomorrowland square like the rest of the attractions/facilities.
                                        Another hint, is the resemblance of a glass pitched roof on the left on level 1 of the Hangar building, it would be a waste if it doesn't overlook at something worth looking at.

Another theory :
                                        With the Marvel area separated in Ride and Non-Ride buildings, they could finish the non-ride Hangar earlier ( probably already open in 2022, which would coincidentally fill up the only empty year without any announced expansion opening, since they were dedicated to open something new every year from 2018 till 2023)
                                        As for the E-ticket Marvel ride, they probably need another 2 years to finalize the ride anyway ( after the release of the movies and open in 2023) So it was left out on purpose on the concept art since otherwise they might be giving away some hints of the future Marvel movie plot. (or they simply don't have any idea)

Click image for larger version  Name:	ExpansionMarvel.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	8519018
                                        (ignore Number 3, I thought maybe that they would make another path from Fantasy land directly to Marvel, but this is very unlikely)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Aerial Tomorrow.JPG Views:	1 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	8519356
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	ExpansionMarvel2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	8519019
                                        Last edited by hakjie11; 06-28-2017, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• http://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/201...star-wars.html

Rumoured Star Wars Hotel at WDW DHS. It is widely speculated that Disney will reveal more at D23 Expo next month. Hopefully HKDL will get this hotel in the future when the second gate opens.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X