Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

What's next for Hong Kong Disneyland?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read on another forum that the building that houses Winnie the Pooh and Festival of Foods can accommodate another dark ride with its existing structures or something. But I don't think HKDL wants to do that, if they did they would have done it already.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

We are far from running out of space in HKDL and besides re-imagining the existing ride into something else would probably be more cost efficient.
      Probably something they would consider after all land in Gate 1 is used.
      Last edited by hakjie11; 06-18-2017, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post
        I read on another forum that the building that houses Winnie the Pooh and Festival of Foods can accommodate another dark ride with its existing structures or something. But I don't think HKDL wants to do that, if they did they would have done it already.
        Can you share which forum?
        Thanks!

Comment

Guys, a 3rd Disney park in China is possible according to Iger!!!

From a Iger-Bloomberg interview :
          https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mpId=flipboard

"In China, there’s potential for Disney to build a second park (besides HK and Shanghai) in the long run, Iger said, adding it would focus on the Shanghai resort first. A Toy Story themed land opening is planned for next year.

“Before we really look to the horizon geographically, we will focus on expanding this park,” Iger said. “Might we build in another city over time? Yes. There’s a great likelihood that we will. But it’s way too early.”

Comment

Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post

"In China, there’s potential for Disney to build a second park (besides HK and Shanghai) in the long run, Iger said, adding it would focus on the Shanghai resort first. A Toy Story themed land opening is planned for next year.

“Before we really look to the horizon geographically, we will focus on expanding this park,” Iger said. “Might we build in another city over time? Yes. There’s a great likelihood that we will. But it’s way too early.”
            I wonder if the company have signed a memorandum with a city already, but just to keep it low. Just like the company did with SDL. HKDL opened in 2007, I remember the news at that time said no planing to open another disneyland in China yet. (May be I get the story wrong) Then SDL opened in 2016, one of the promotional footage said SDL has been planing for 8 years since 2009...
            (when I knew that they spend so much effort and time to plan SDL, it really broke my heart)And this is what I am thinking right now:
            If HKDL was still a money losing park at the time another China Disney had opened, the government should not invest any money into HKDL. There would be no point keep injecting taxpayer's money to this kind of business.

Remember the "thanks SDL" tag last year, many of the budget cutting measures were taken in parks after the SDL was open. Believe there was a connection or not, I think HKDL is pinched holding seasonal events. I hope am wrong, they are setting aside the largest resource for the halloween event or the Christmas event.

It is hard to find a big city in China with a local population that is less than HK. A larger local population, cheaper land cost, can support a bigger park in the start. It is hard to beat the game.

Comment

Disney's focus has always been mainland China, I think. It's just that they couldn't get into the local media industry (they still can't) and their feature film showings limited. In order to warm the Chinese population to its characters and franchises they needed a jumping board. HKDL served that purpose. HKDL is opened when mainland tourists started flooding the city. Indeed, for many years the mainland Chinese proportion reached half of all HKDL visitors (their initial forecast was one third.)

I read that Chongqing and Sichuan, in southwest China, are courting for Disneyland. Make sense as that region is densely populated. Beijing could be another choice but given the cold winters, air pollution, and Universal Studios, it may be less likely now.

Now back to HKDL, I think they'll need to retool it to be Asian facing. Indian visitors to HK dropped but visitors from southeast Asia grew substantially. Halal cuisines and the Explorers Lodge may just be the beginning. We may see more tropical themes in the future à la Moana. (I know, they also have a Scandinavian theme coming but I think it contrasts well with the hot weather of HK.)

Comment

I think Disney will build its seventh resort either in India, Middle East or South America first. There is a huge demand for Disney content in India while the Gulf countries have money burning holes in their pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by John1023 View Post

Can you share which forum?
                  Thanks!
                  If I remember rght it was Laughingplace.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post
                    I think Disney will build its seventh resort either in India, Middle East or South America first. There is a huge demand for Disney content in India while the Gulf countries have money burning holes in their pockets.
                    I have read some forums/news in the past explaining why Disney did not plan yet for a resort in India and Middle East. (South America I don't know).
                    http://www.business-standard.com/art...1300237_1.html
                    http://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/200...heme-park.html

Disney certainly does not ignore the large population in both regions, but it seems to be largely related to local economic issues, infrastructure not in place, non-transparent governments and religious issues in which Disney does not feel comfortable to operate in.
                    As it currently stands, India is still around 20 years behind China in terms of development in all kinds of aspects. I believe there is still a huge difference of income per capita China Vs India of around 2-3 times. So while the population in India is huge, the spending power is much less.
                    As for Middle East, I remember Dubai has repeatedly been inviting Disney to come open a park there, but Disney did not go for it, resulting in lots of other very big parks (Motiongate, IMG, Ferrari,...) opening there. But the attendance figures for 2016-2017 were so poor none of them made it to the top 50 in the world. Disney must have predicted that already from their study.
                    I think both regions are certainly a must-open for the future, but I think for the 7th park it might be too soon.

Now that I think of it, it does make sense for Disney to open a 3rd park in China (2nd largest economy).
                    The economical benefits & political ties with local and central government (smart Iger has made himself a good personal friend of Xi) are just right. They spend a decade studying the China market and building the park and most importantly the relationship with the government. They will benefit financially immediately from all the work they have done it the past by just opening another park to cash in. It is almost a certainty that the 3rd park will be a success just based on today's figures.
                    But by building a new park in another country, Disney has to go through all these preparation/relationship work again and the outcome is still not as secure as a proven region like China. It is probably the safest bet for Disney at the moment and they can already depend on their large teams/resources in Shanghai and Hong Kong to prepare the 3rd park. China certainly has the population to sustain another Disney park, the largest cities in China are easily bigger then most countries in the world.
                    Last edited by hakjie11; 06-30-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post

i saw it to. it is too early to open another park, and is it really possible to open 3 disney parks in china? i mean since the country holds 1 billion of the population

Comment

Originally posted by wali View Post
                        Disney's focus has always been mainland China, I think. It's just that they couldn't get into the local media industry (they still can't) and their feature film showings limited. In order to warm the Chinese population to its characters and franchises they needed a jumping board. HKDL served that purpose. HKDL is opened when mainland tourists started flooding the city. Indeed, for many years the mainland Chinese proportion reached half of all HKDL visitors (their initial forecast was one third.)

I read that Chongqing and Sichuan, in southwest China, are courting for Disneyland. Make sense as that region is densely populated. Beijing could be another choice but given the cold winters, air pollution, and Universal Studios, it may be less likely now.

Now back to HKDL, I think they'll need to retool it to be Asian facing. Indian visitors to HK dropped but visitors from southeast Asia grew substantially. Halal cuisines and the Explorers Lodge may just be the beginning. We may see more tropical themes in the future à la Moana. (I know, they also have a Scandinavian theme coming but I think it contrasts well with the hot weather of HK.)
                        You have some point. it is likely that one park is in south, and the other in the east. like need parks in middle, and North side, However, don't know if opening the third park really that possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ridetotheworld View Post

i saw it to. it is too early to open another park, and is it really possible to open 3 disney parks in china? i mean since the country holds 1 billion of the population
                          US has 2 much larger parks for around 330 million people. China has 1.39 billion of people. So if just in terms of population, I do think that even a 4th Park makes sense on the long term.
                          Last edited by hakjie11; 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ree523 View Post

I wonder if the company have signed a memorandum with a city already, but just to keep it low. Just like the company did with SDL. HKDL opened in 2007, I remember the news at that time said no planing to open another disneyland in China yet.
                            Yes I also think that discussions are already ongoing with several China cities, as it would take years of negotiation to squeeze out the best deals and let the cities fight among themselves. Chongqing Vs Chendu (rumored)

https://qz.com/719556/days-after-dis...ning-a-second/

I do think that Chongqing will make chance, I mean they must have discussed something with Disney already before they made these comments. (ref to the above link article)
                            Chongqing is a booming city with lots of land for development with good infrastructure and within the reach of around 118 million potential customers.

According to Wiki :
                            "Chongqing belongs to the West Triangle Economic Zone is an economic zone designated by the Chinese government comprising Chengdu, Chongqing and Xi'an.[1] Created as part of China's Western Development strategy, the West Triangle Economic Zone contributes nearly 40% of Western China's GDP.[2] Furthermore, Chongqing is one of China's five National Central Cities, while both Chengdu and Xi'an are Regional Central Cities.[3]

The economies of all three cities are highly developed and serve as attractive investment locations within China. Many major international companies have factories or branches in the region, including Microsoft, Ford Motors, Citigroup, and over 200 other Fortune 500 companies.

Overall, the zone has a population of 118 million and covers 220,000 square kilometers. Various major expressways and railways run through the zone, and each of the three cities has a major international airport."

With HKDL functioning as the Disney Park for the PRD (Pearl River Delta) region with a population of around 65 million, 3 parks should cover the most densely populated Zones in China already. (I think it is safe to say that Beijing will not have a Disney park with an Universal Studio's park in construction)
                            Last edited by hakjie11; 06-19-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Thinking even further:

If Disney were really to open a 3rd park then I am quite sure Universal Studios will look for a similar opportunity if their Beijing park turns out to be as successful.
                              In fact they might already did...

Shanghai and Chongqing (if True) will be off limits with a Disney Park there.
                              So it will most likely be PRD region for Universal's 2nd China Park.

If you guys still remember this rumor :
                              http://www.ejinsight.com/20140801-un...ark-in-zhuhai/

Could this be a leaked preparation talk for a 2nd Universal China Park IF Beijing turns out to be successful? If you look at the infrastructure works, especially the Zhuhai-HK-Macau bridge, it certainly was a big bargaining chip to attract Universal to open a park there.
                              If yes, this would be great for HK citizens, a big Universal Studio park nearby. Hope this rumor turns out to be true, this would force HKDL to further expand its Gate 2 for sure.
                              Last edited by hakjie11; 06-19-2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

http://www.ejinsight.com/20160126-fo...park-in-china/

The same site reports that 20th Century Fox wants to open a park in Guangzhou or Zhuhai, too.

http://www.cityofzhuhai.com/2017-05/22/c_77713.htm

Legoland is going to open in Zhuhai.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X