Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

What's next for Hong Kong Disneyland?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys Im gonna bring my parents in HKDL as a gift for their wedding anniversary around June or July. They're really excited but Im kinda sad that the castle will be under renovation and of course there would be no fireworks. Also, no Buzz (which sucks). Anything new coming for HKDL this year?
    Last edited by Jan Santos Sanchez; 01-27-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan Santos Sanchez View Post
      Hey guys Im gonna bring my parents in HKDL as a gift for their wedding anniversary around June or July. They're really excited but Im kinda sad that the castle will be under renovation and of course there would be no fireworks. Also, no Buzz (which sucks). Anything new coming for HKDL this year?
      Hey Jan,

It's "visually" not the best time to visit HKDL, you will be seeing a lot of hoardings since new rides/improvements are being constructed everywhere in the park.

In short what should be ready for this summer :
      -A new "We Love Mickey” Main Street Projection Show (to replace the fireworks due to Castle re-construction) starting in March 2018
      -A new Moana Daytime Stage Show in Adventure land, although the date is not confirmed yet, it should be ready around May of 2018.
      -Incredible Summer Event (featuring the characters from Incredibles movie) starting around June 2018
      -A new Marvel Shield ride is being constructed featuring (at least) Ant-Man in Tomorrow Land, (no date yet, but I think it is being prepared for end 2018/begin 2019 opening)

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by hakjie11; 01-28-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• https://hkmsg.blogspot.hk/2018/01/180127.html

HK Main Street Gazette has updated with a lot of photos of the walls surrounding the castle area. There really are a lot of walls for this big project.
        Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
        Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
        Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
        Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

• Coincidence?
          A building with similar contours as the new Marvel building in Tomorrow land had already been imagined back in the original 2006 expansion concept of HKDL?

Hey guys, I found something again.

Look at this original expansion concept of 2006 which I found on Mr B facebook pages :
          https://www.facebook.com/mrbpage/posts/891435604338363

I will repost the image here and highlight the building I want to talk about :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marvel Building.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	8547147

Doesn't it look a bit like the shape of the new Marvel building with some additional Marvel touches? This drawing could be a good reference of the size of this new Marvel Building.

Name:	marvel-themed-area.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	8547148

Also does someone also think that blocky part (with the "A" Avengers logo marked on it, on the left side of the building looks like some sort of a (movie) theater? Could it be an indication of what we could expect as a ride?
          Some sort of a 4D movie ride perhaps? (I hope not...)

Comment

• ^That plan shows placeholders for various established attractions such as Big Thunder & Haunted Mansion in the west, Toontown & PotC in the north and the red circle you bring up was for Star Tours (same shape as Paris version).

The Avengers building should be significantly bigger and multi-level (three pedestrian levels in that artwork). I read somewhere that the ride was to be a re-theme of the Battle Escape attraction being built in Star Wars Land as we speak (as Iron Man is a re-theme of Star Tours)... but that could easily be bad info.

Comment

• HKDL will announce its financial results soon. It is expected to be another year of loss despite the opening of Iron Man Experience and Disney Explorers Lodge. But the loss is expected to be less than last year and with the opening of the Hong Kong-Macau-Zhuhai Mega Bridge as well as the High Speed Raillink, in addition to China relaxing Hong Kong visits for Guangdong residents, more visitors can be expected in 2018 and 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asa View Post
                HKDL will announce its financial results soon. It is expected to be another year of loss despite the opening of Iron Man Experience and Disney Explorers Lodge. But the loss is expected to be less than last year and with the opening of the Hong Kong-Macau-Zhuhai Mega Bridge as well as the High Speed Raillink, in addition to China relaxing Hong Kong visits for Guangdong residents, more visitors can be expected in 2018 and 2019.
                I think many Gold Card members (which is their fixed bread n butter) have not visited HKDL as frequent as before due to all the ongoing renovations.
                A few Gold Card members I know simply chose to skip renewing membership this year and chose to renew again only in 2019 which does make sense.
                On top of that, the hotels are really suffering, the aggressive dining and accommodation promotions they launched previously are a good indication of how badly they need the business.
                Hope everything will get better when the expansions are ready.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	saucers.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	8547433

Disney Hollywood Studios upcoming Alien Swirling Saucers ride concept art. I still think this ride will be very suitable for HKDL Toy Story Land. The green aliens are hugely popular in HK and this will put them right back in the park as BLAB is no more. It does not look like an expensive ride as well which suits HKDL's poor finances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asa View Post

Name:	saucers.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	8547433

Disney Hollywood Studios upcoming Alien Swirling Saucers ride concept art. I still think this ride will be very suitable for HKDL Toy Story Land. The green aliens are hugely popular in HK and this will put them right back in the park as BLAB is no more. It does not look like an expensive ride as well which suits HKDL's poor finances.
                    The park doesn't need more round rides. What it needs are dark rides, e.g. Peter Pan's Flights, Indy and Pirates.

Comment

• Summary of D23 announcement on parks so far..

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2018/02...c%7C1337187920

Comment

• Rock n Roller Coaster Paris Marvel re-imagination sounds like a cheap overlay.

We could be getting something similar if they decided to cheaply re-imagine Hyper Space Mountain again to make the area completely Marvel as the unknown 2021 ride.
                        I hope we get a Guardians of the galaxy coaster overlay if they decided to do it.
                        Last edited by hakjie11; 02-12-2018, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iluvHKDL View Post

The park doesn't need more round rides. What it needs are dark rides, e.g. Peter Pan's Flights, Indy and Pirates.
                          The park cannot afford to build them unless it goes to LegCo to ask for funding again, we all know how that went and how humiliating it was for WDC. It was like begging for money with an empty bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by hakjie11 View Post
                            Rock n Roller Coaster Paris Marvel re-imagination sounds like a cheap overlay.

We could be getting something similar if they decided to cheaply re-imagine Hyper Space Mountain again to make the area completely Marvel as the unknown 2021 ride.
                            I hope we get a Guardians of the galaxy coaster overlay if they decided to do it.
                            They seem to want to tie in the rides with the movies released. GotG 3 will be released in 2020, so maybe your idea will not happen.

Marvel hasn't announced their plans post Avengers 4 (May 2019), except GotG 3 (2020) and Spider-man: Homecoming 2? (Jul 2019). I think what Marvel will release in 2021 is still in flux. Maybe Captain Marvel 2? If Space Mountain is re-themed to the first major female Marvel superhero then that could be an interesting option.

Comment

• Happy chinese new year everyone!!!

Comment

• Guys,

Does anyone have info of this Market (加利布尼市集) that HKDL is building next to the Theater of the Wild?
                                https://www.facebook.com/mrbpage/pho...type=3&theater

I am very curious how it will look. Any concept art?

Comment

• http://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/201...and-paris.html

Disneyland Paris Walt Disney Studios Park major expansion plans announced. It will have Marvel Land, Star Wars Land and Frozen Land!!

Interestingly, WDS's Toy Story Land looks like it will receive the Alien Swirling Saucers ride that will debut in Disney Hollywood Studios this summer. HKDL has exactly the same Toy Story Land as WDS, so will we get it, too?

Comment

• Yeah I was also surprised they announced the same themed Frozen and Marvel areas.
                                    With just 1 Disneyland for whole Europe I guess this makes sense and people will have something to look forward to.
                                    I read that the expansion will only start in 2021 (in phases) so it will take probably min 6 years to build it.

What I don't like is that these expansions look so much bigger than ours ( if the concept pic can be considered a reliable reference for its planned size),
                                    I am not talking about the lake, that is obviously a space we don't have. I am referring to the height of Arendelle Castle Vs Mountain with Elsa's Ice Palace on it.
                                    That mountain seems to be at least 20% taller and wider than HKDL's one.

In general I still think the HKDL's concepts are better. The elevated Marvel building of 2023 completes the Marvel feel and provides more height and dimension than an alley with ride buildings on both sides.
                                    Also I think our Frozen land is much more immersive, I don't want to see other themed areas from far which would break the immersion, I mean if you can already spot the Arendelle Castle from the entrance of the park it will certainly not give you any "wow" effect if you walk 15 minutes towards it to get to that area. It actually takes away a bit of the excitement when you finally arrive in that area. HKDL's version is bordered by Elsa's Mountain-Village / Real mountains at the back, a Railway track and the Small World ride building. It is hidden until you literally arrive at the entrance of that area. That too me is a far better placement.
                                    Last edited by hakjie11; 02-27-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• We now see why Bob Iger was so keen for HKDL to get its expansion plans passed by LegCo. He always intended for HKDL to share rides with other parks like WDS and DCA.

I don't think Bob Iger said the work will begin in 2021. He said the first expansion will complete in 2021. I am slightly surprised that Pandora - World of Avatar was not part of the Paris plans, but maybe that will happen later.

I am 100% sure now that HKDL, WDS and DCA will share the same Avengers ride. The design and development costs will be shared by the 3 parks, obviously with minor changes to suit each park's unique landscape. HKDL and WDS will most likely also share the Frozen land rides. Quite likely one of the rides is the Maelstrom re-themed ride in EPCOT. Once again that means saved development costs for all the parks.

I am a little confused by the location of the new lands in Paris. Ideally Star Wars Land will be built in Disneyland Paris to go with Star Tours 2, but clearly that is not happening. Another thing is that Frozen land should be in Fantasyland, but once again there is no space. Also WDS is the park that needs the expansion.

In HKDL we do have Frozen land behind Fantasyland and could be considered an extension of the land. Guests entering HKDL will not see Arendelle until after they have passed the tall rebuilt castle at least, even then they still have to go through the Fantasyland train station, so there is no sight problem.

If HKDL does get Star Wars Land in the second gate, we could get Star Tours 2 to go with it as well like Disney Hollywood Studios. I think that's a big advantage. But will we ever get Star Wars Land? I think Tokyo might hold the key. Let's see if Tokyo will really announce plans for Star Wars Land, Pandora and Frozen. Rumour is that they will make an announcement in April.

Comment

• Sharing the design and development costs with DCA and WDS can also be seen as an advantage. This ride is going to be truly special if it needs 3 parks to share its costs.
                                        Also I would rather see HKDL sharing it with US or Paris rather then Shanghai and Tokyo. At least it could be considered a bit exclusive to HK in the Asian part of the world.

I don't think HKDL is the perfect location for Star Wars land to be honest. From the 3 Asian Parks,Tokyo would certainly be the most suitable for it.
                                        Mainland's knowledge of Star Wars is very shallow, so certainly the last choice to build Star Wars there (at least for now).
                                        I would rate Hong Kong's knowledge of the Star Wars story as passable, but I wouldn't say local Hong Kong people are super excited about its movies or merchandises but the tourists visiting Hong Kong are more diverse so I can still see this happening of this reason.
                                        I also think Avatar would most likely appear in Shanghai first rather then HK or Japan. Screen based rides like Soarin seems to be doing quite good in Shanghai and its a bit of spreading out the currently hot IP's over its 3 Asian Parks in a fair and logic way maybe?

From the last announcements/rumors of Tokyo Disney they seem to be heading a different way, a smarter and more exclusive way on the long term I would say.
                                        As a franchisee with the ability to pay for the whole design and development costs of the rides themselves, they don't need or are not obliged to share its rides designs like other Disney Parks do to spread out the costs.
                                        So I wouldn't be surprised if they are giving up on Star Wars or any other huge IP in favor of more exclusivity of smaller ride stories and head in a different direction to make its parks unique and not just a copy like all the other ones who are "too" depending on WDC grace of ride selection for its expansions. Is it really logic to pay a billion usd for Star Wars if you know there are at least 3 other parks with Star Wars lands around the globe? If I can decide for myself, I would rather spend the money on a 2nd volcano in TDS so to speak, at least that is something you cant see in other parks.

Comment

• New HKDL castle blue prints on display in the park. Video by Disney Magic Kingdom blog.

Comment

Working...
                                          X