X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied
    Re: Shanghai Disneyland in 2012

How about a Black Cauldron segment in the Castle Dungeon Mystery Tour which would have been a ride through experience below Beast's Castle.

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

ORWEN: Oh, wonderful! Now if you wouldn't mind designing a new and improved Disneyland for us here in Morva, California Adventurer, duckling. We need something better to do with our time. We only ask that you create a dark ride for The Black Cauldron, if you please...

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

Originally posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
    what does it look like?

If disney really wanted to outdo themselves they should build a DL on Antartica which will be fully enclosed in a enormous glass round top. Maybe it will look like a snowglobe from the outside. That sounfs pretty cool actually.
    Actually it's pretty cool. You have Main Street USA and Hollywoodland off to one side of Town Square. Fantasyland is in the usual place, Adventureland and Frontierland are similar to DL Paris in some respects but on the other side of the park, I designed European Showcase instead of Tomorrowland or Discoveryland which would be comined with FUTURE WORLD for an eventual second gate dedicated exclusively to the world of the future. European Showcase at Sydney Disneyland would have had 12 European pavilions surrounding a Swiss "island" with a Swiss village and a Matterhorn as the central icon of the land.

I designed it as a way of combining the best of all the Disney parks into two seperate gates, although I never finished the designs for the 2nd gate.

However the map I designed featured every backstage road, storage building, show building, restrooms, etc. etc. It was really more of a blueprint than a drawing, although my little brother colored in the shops green, the restaurants blue and the attractions red.

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
    what does it look like?

If disney really wanted to outdo themselves they should build a DL on Antartica which will be fully enclosed in a enormous glass round top. Maybe it will look like a snowglobe from the outside. That sounfs pretty cool actually.

But who would go there besides the most extreme of Disney fans?

Leave a comment:

• Disneyfan4
    replied

what does it look like?

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

Originally posted by vfire View Post
    Has Disney ever considered Australia as a new theme park location? It probably would have been a better location than Hong Kong. Certainly a lot of land down under to make a big theme park.
    I designed an entire park once, SYDNEY DISNEYLAND.

Leave a comment:

• CheriBibi
    replied

Originally posted by Dagobert View Post
    They shouldn't built so many new parks, they are also thinking about a new park in Malaysia. Disney should spend the money on fixing the existing parks. In my opinion, there shouldn't be too much resorts, because disney is something special and I don't want the parks to be spread around like any other themeparks. This is just my opinion. How do you think about so many new parks in Asia. I know that Asia is big market, but there are already two resorts, one in China and one in Japan. It would be better to add new attractions to Hongkong Disneyland.

Maybe in 10 to 20 years a third park in Asia would be a good idea.
    I don't know, I just see an opportunity to see NEW Disney theme park, because I don't see how they could do another lame diminished copycat of Disneyland in China. So I expect a great Magic Kingdom, as good as what EuroDisneyLand was when built and then other exclusive theme parks... It seems that Disney droped the cheap parks strategy to bring back Walt's good old "Wow !", if so... then i'm all for new parks...

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

ORGOCH: 'sides that, if'n they went 'n built up a Dizzy theme park in Aussieland, poor ol' Loomis wouldn't have no more reason ta git away from home!!

ORWEN: Also, they're having such a drought in Australia, there wouldn't be enough water to use for a Rivers of America, a Splash Mountain or a Jungle River Cruise!!

ORDDU: They'd have to have a Disney theme park with little more than a desert theme, wouldn't they, dear? The city of Agrabah comes to mind first!

Leave a comment:

• Dagobert
    replied

They shouldn't built so many new parks, they are also thinking about a new park in Malaysia. Disney should spend the money on fixing the existing parks. In my opinion, there shouldn't be too much resorts, because disney is something special and I don't want the parks to be spread around like any other themeparks. This is just my opinion. How do you think about so many new parks in Asia. I know that Asia is big market, but there are already two resorts, one in China and one in Japan. It would be better to add new attractions to Hongkong Disneyland.

I also think that Australia is not a good place for a new resort, because Australia has only 21 000 000 inhabitants. DLRP has problems to fill the parks, and in Europe live approximately 600 mio. And I'm not sure if people from Asian countries will come to Australia for a Disney park, they can also go to Japan or Hong Kong. That's also a reason why they should fix HKDL and add new attractions.

Maybe in 10 to 20 years a third park in Asia would be a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• vfire
    replied

Has Disney ever considered Australia as a new theme park location? It probably would have been a better location than Hong Kong. Certainly a lot of land down under to make a big theme park.

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

ORDDU: Maybe a side trip to Morva would work out even better?

ORGOCH: Is ya nuts? That coheteboy's got more smarts 'n ta git hisself all tangled up with a tramp like yerself!

ORWEN: I guess I'm the witch who has to get this message back on topic. And I just wanna' say that when we last looked into the crystal ball, we didn't see ANY sort to Disney theme park going into ANY part of Asia.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORGOCH: Not ta change the subject er nothin' like that but....Yo! Choeteboy, ducklin' up there!! Ain't yerself the same ducklin' that me 'n my two looney sisters met up with down in Florida this past October ta do some frog huntin' with--off a Tom Sawdust Island? I gotta feelin' ya is an' if'n I'm right, well, just wanted ta give ya my best regards.

ORDDU: Oh, he's the same duckling all right, dear. And a fine specimen of a man he is, too!

ORWEN: I just hope I'm the first witch he asks to go with him on a trip to Hong Kong Disneyland.

Haha thanks, yah that was me. Don't know when I'll get the chance to hit Hong Kong though.

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    I think part of the problem was that Eisner was wanting to make some great architectural statement and so brought in all these big name architects to give their takes on America in a bid to be taken seriously in architectural circles. While some of them may be interesting as architectural statements, I agree that most don't feel very Disney and aren't aging particularly well. Beyond the hotels, the most glaring example of this is the Disney Village which is just plain ugly.

I've always thought that Eisner saw this as his chance to cast himself as a new Walt Disney leaving a lasting legacy based on his own vision. Unfortunately I don't think he is quite as perceptive and creative as he thinks he is.
    I agree. Aside from Robert A.M. Stern (who has designed some wonderful hotels for Walt Disney World and one for the Tokyo Disney Resort), I feel the rest of the architects failed to capture the magic and immersion that Disney hotels are supposed to provide. Even still, I feel the Newport Bay and Cheyenne are not two of Stern's best works given his portfolio. The Newport Bay pales in comparison to the Yacht/Beach Club Resorts and the Boardwalk Inn, all of which share a similar theme and design.

Leave a comment:

• Sir_Cliff
    replied

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I dislike almost all the Disney hotels at Disneyland Resort Paris. With the exception of the Disneyland Hotel, none of them particularly scream "Disney" or quality to me. Most of them are very loosely themed and even kind of ugly and not aesthetically pleasing at all. Add to that the fact that they're all run down and far behind in comparison to Disney hotels of the same price range at other Disney resorts.
    I think part of the problem was that Eisner was wanting to make some great architectural statement and so brought in all these big name architects to give their takes on America in a bid to be taken seriously in architectural circles. While some of them may be interesting as architectural statements, I agree that most don't feel very Disney and aren't aging particularly well. Beyond the hotels, the most glaring example of this is the Disney Village which is just plain ugly.

I've always thought that Eisner saw this as his chance to cast himself as a new Walt Disney leaving a lasting legacy based on his own vision. Unfortunately I don't think he is quite as perceptive and creative as he thinks he is.

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

I dislike almost all the Disney hotels at Disneyland Resort Paris. With the exception of the Disneyland Hotel, none of them particularly scream "Disney" or quality to me. Most of them are very loosely themed and even kind of ugly and not aesthetically pleasing at all. Add to that the fact that they're all run down and far behind in comparison to Disney hotels of the same price range at other Disney resorts.

Leave a comment:

• Sir_Cliff
    replied

Originally posted by CheriBibi View Post
    Intersting, but I think regarding DLRP, the major mistake was to theme the resort to the great AMERICA. What was in their mind when they thought every single hotel theme should be related to america ? Did they think, that being living in europe already, Europeans wouldn't have any other attention than America ? I know 95% of the french would love to stay in an hotel themed to Venise or Florence, or a British Cottage.
    Even though I love the hotels at DLRP, the choice of the theme always stunned me, and may be in part responsible for the early failing hotel attendance figures of the history of the park.

Anyway, just my bit of thought and hope... That they won't do the same mistake again. Disney theme parks are not about AMERICA... They're about dreams and fantasy, and those differs among many cutlures...
    That is a very good point. The whole resort was kind of built as a big celebration of America which was a very odd direction in which to go for a resort in France. Even at WDW they've used Polynesian, African and Caribbean motifs for resorts, and an Arabian-themed resort would have tied perfectly with DLP's Adventureland. It really was an odd choice to theme each hotel to America (not to mention building so many of them).

Maybe what they really need to do before they build another park is really figure out how to integrate the parks more successfully into the local culture. Part of the reason they're so successful in the US is that they present a fundamentally American view of the world and thus have themselves become an integral part of American culture. Perhaps they have to build these parks so that they don't come across as inherently American and a form of cultural imperialism. Maybe the Disneyland concept needs to be tweaked far more extensively and much more local involvement is needed in the future.

Leave a comment:

• CheriBibi
    replied

Originally posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    Europeans who were supposed to flock to DLP
    Intersting, but I think regarding DLRP, the major mistake was to theme the resort to the great AMERICA. What was in their mind when they thought every single hotel theme should be related to america ? Did they think, that being living in europe already, Europeans wouldn't have any other attention than America ? I know 95% of the french would love to stay in an hotel themed to Venise or Florence, or a British Cottage.
    Even though I love the hotels at DLRP, the choice of the theme always stunned me, and may be in part responsible for the early failing hotel attendance figures of the history of the park.

Anyway, just my bit of thought and hope... That they won't do the same mistake again. Disney theme parks are not about AMERICA... They're about dreams and fantasy, and those differs among many cutlures...

Leave a comment:

• Sir_Cliff
    replied

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
    this is the government trying to put a good spin on a bad situation. there are so many problems in China these days and many companies are considering closing factories and moving because of the lead situation and the dog food mess and let's not forget about the toothpaste and such. China grew too fast and now has to deal with labor shortages and food shortages of their own since most of their peasant farmers have migrated to the cities to find work. Things may change in a few years, but right now neither mainland china nor india have the infrastructure or the money to support a resort like disneyland.
    Yup, as I mentioned in my last post, that is my point of view. China and India look like countries with the potential to one day be good markets for Disney theme parks, but they're certainly not there yet.

Disney does also seem to opperate under the assumption that everyone everywhere will be as enthusiastic about Disney theme parks as the Americans and Japanese and so will centre vacations around them and drop huge amounts of money. Just think of all the wild projections about how much money the Europeans who were supposed to flock to DLP were going to spend on merchandise and hotel rooms and the draw the name 'Disneyland' was supposed to have in HK that would overcome a lack of attractions. So far they've been proved wrong in both instances. Both Europe and HK are far more familiar with American culture than mainland China, so I get the feeling they would have if anything more difficulties in Shanghai.

Leave a comment:

• josh_kslow
    replied

Fine, I will give you that they have seen this big eared mouse many times. But that does not mean they KNOW what it is about.

The point is, you want them to pay RMB300 to enter Disneyland? Fat chance.

Remember Tokyo Disneyland is so successful because of the huge number of locals that enter the park. Chinese people just don't feel the same way to American theme parks. You might have a better chance of success building one in Taiwan, which is more familiar with American (and Japanese) culture.
    Asa was right. China's culture is very much different with its neighbours even with Hong Kong. Mainland Chinese usually do not support products from overseas and they prefer their own production.

So it will be hard to ask a Mainland Chinese to get into an American theme park for that expensive price compared to other local theme parks. Hong Kong is different because they have a different mentality as they were colonised by the Britains for so many years.

Leave a comment:

• Cmash95
    replied

this is the government trying to put a good spin on a bad situation. there are so many problems in China these days and many companies are considering closing factories and moving because of the lead situation and the dog food mess and let's not forget about the toothpaste and such. China grew too fast and now has to deal with labor shortages and food shortages of their own since most of their peasant farmers have migrated to the cities to find work. Things may change in a few years, but right now neither mainland china nor india have the infrastructure or the money to support a resort like disneyland.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X