Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For something unusual, how about King Triton's castle?
    If you go to Tokyo DisneySea, you'll see King Triton's Castle....and damn is it beautiful

So, it's been done, and very nicely. I think in HK, they wanted to reproduce the original, just as the Japanese had requested direct translations for their park. Obviously, starting small allows the locals to return for the growth to follow, but risks offending the international traveler familiar with the other Disney parks around the world. Hong Kong - who is paying for this park - is apparently more interested in developing a local attraction for Chinese citizens, than a destination resort. The scale makes sense when appreciating that those 1 billion+ people do Not know a Disney park could be different. The old Disney TV showsjust now getting there proves that. All the parks have 'grown' on their local audience, who come to love them watching them develop. Mind you, none of this will impress international Disneyland travelers, but there are actually quite few of them; and the park does offer unique beauties for the connoisseur. HK is an amazing place, but a bit short on things like museums and such - they want to beef up the offerings to make that an even more impressive city with this project, but do not require that it be so massive to draw people to a swamp like central Florida did.

Actually the reason the Japanese had so much artistic control over their parks is because it is owned by an independent company separate from Disney, The Oriental land Co. The folks at OLC wanted to reproduce a Disneyland for their own country which explains all the clones. Disney the company had nothing to do with the OLC parks (which is why it often never mentioned in the states, this also why the OLC parks have better attractions)

Hong Kong however, like Paris, IS owned by the Disney company and they can do pretty much anything they please with it. The reason the park is so small and has very little is not because they want to start slow but because they want to build cheap

and mind you, the government of the place where the parks are built often has very very little to do with the planning and decision-making in the parks. All the place does is agree for parks to built there

and HK Disney is indeed planned to be a destination resort. The chinese/hong kong government did agree for this to keep the tourists coming. proof of this are the hotels they are already building around it.

and you were wrong about the whole "central Florida had WDW built there to draw people there" The reason WDW is in Florida is because Walt wanted to make a city and he chose Florida for the place. But when he died the people he left felt that his dreams had to be realised and the Florida property be used...long story short= poof comes Walt Disney World
    Last edited by stitcharielsinbad; 02-19-2005, 04:44 PM.

Comment

"an original Adventureland - which is more than I can say about California or Paris"

Well, I also have to point out that not only is Disneyland's the ORIGINAL adventureland, but Disneyland Paris also has a completely original take on it as well. What with Adventure Isle with Skull Rock and the Swiss Family Treehouse on it to explore. Also it's themes are so different as well. I would say that it's the most different looking compared to the three (now four) other Adventurelands.
      Meow

Comment

Tomorrowland needs more rides like they create a stitch's great escape clone from magic kingdom at walt disney world and also honey i shurnk the audience star tours carrosel of porgress and a transit tour would mak a better HKD Tomorrowland

Comment

Originally posted by stitch's great escape 101
          Tomorrowland needs more rides like they create a stitch's great escape clone from magic kingdom at walt disney world and also honey i shurnk the audience star tours carrosel of porgress and a transit tour would mak a better HKD Tomorrowland
          1. SGE here isn't so hot, I'm not too sure about Disney cloning it so quickly

2. HISTA- Japan has it as MicroAdventures. But still, I guess it could work

3. Star Tours- Well, I think Japan has this too... But it could work

4. CoP- Umm...

5. TTA- YESSS!!!!

:bow:

Comment

Originally posted by stitcharielsinbad
            If you go to Tokyo DisneySea, you'll see King Triton's Castle....and damn is it beautiful

Actually the reason the Japanese had so much artistic control over their parks is because it is owned by an independent company separate from Disney, The Oriental land Co. The folks at OLC wanted to reproduce a Disneyland for their own country which explains all the clones. Disney the company had nothing to do with the OLC parks (which is why it often never mentioned in the states, this also why the OLC parks have better attractions)

Hong Kong however, like Paris, IS owned by the Disney company and they can do pretty much anything they please with it. The reason the park is so small and has very little is not because they want to start slow but because they want to build cheap

and mind you, the government of the place where the parks are built often has very very little to do with the planning and decision-making in the parks. All the place does is agree for parks to built there

and HK Disney is indeed planned to be a destination resort. The chinese/hong kong government did agree for this to keep the tourists coming. proof of this are the hotels they are already building around it.

and you were wrong about the whole "central Florida had WDW built there to draw people there" The reason WDW is in Florida is because Walt wanted to make a city and he chose Florida for the place. But when he died the people he left felt that his dreams had to be realised and the Florida property be used...long story short= poof comes Walt Disney World
            A few corrections :-

Although the Tokyo parks are not owned by Disney, they are involved. WDI do the design and Disney get a large license fee from OLC.

The Paris park is only partially owned by Disney, in fact when the park first opened they owned very little. They now have a 49% share, but that still does not give them total control over how the park is operated.

Ian
            "I'm surrounded by idiots"

Comment

We always knew that the Hong Kong park would be pretty. Disney has been talking about how much more the Chinese value photo ops over attractions for years. The problem is that they are not building enough attractions to give the park critical mass. If it doesn't have enough attraction pull, will it be able to suck in the guests after the hype of the grand opening is over? Disney just isn't the cultral icon in China that it is in the West.

I've been to Hong Kong. It is a thriving Metro-plex with huge and beautiful buildings and lots to see and do. For Disneyland to be worth the trip around the bay, it needs to offer a bigger one two punch.

That having been said, I think that this Disneyland will be quite lovely indeed and will certainly provide the base for a great park in the future. From what I understand about the project, they already have options to drain and build more land into the bay as growth (likely a second park and shopping area) is planned.
              MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
              Save

Comment

><> just call me n8 <><

Comment

Shanghai the laughing of the Far east?? Since when? Shanghai is regarded as one of the most dinamic cities in China, with incredibly beautiful architecture that ranges from the old european styles to futuristic skycrappers. The new Pudong Airport is an example of that vision, and their maglev train connecting it to the city is something else to brag about. I find Shanghai to be as seedy as any other city on Earth, including Beijing, Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, Amsterdam, Paris and many many other World Class destinations. But for the time being...I don't see another DL being built anytime now. Personally, I don't think we need yet another DL in the World.

But I will agree with you and Dusty (handsome avatar) sage here in which HKDL has to offer more to compete with the lure and hustle bustle of Honk Kong merits as a popular cosmopolitan destination all it's own...

On another point of view... and in regards to DLParis, I have always been laughed off the boards for daring to say that DLP was built in the wrong location. I think Paris the city is a formidable competitor against DLP's offerings. Many American are guilty of skipping DLP altogether because "we have DL at home so why go there" kinda syndrome.. DLP of course is in my opinion, a tough call. I don't think the park would have been anymore succesful if it had been built in Barcelona for example, but we'll never know..

As for HKDL..I think it will be successful enough with the huge tourist base from Mainland China, Australia, Japan and many other countries in the region. If it serves as any indication...the Chinese being the 2nd biggest visitor base at TDR after the local japanese, then HKDL may result in a very successful endeavor for Disney.

My 2 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                    Shanghai the laughing of the Far east?? Since when?
                    Not laughing as in 'ha ha' but as in Laughlin, Nevada. If you want to experience Vegas, do Vegas. Laughlin is a cheaper, seedier version of the iconic Las Vegas. Yes, all these cities have a dark underbelly but let's just say I've had some bad experiences as a whole in Shanghai. It's strange to think that one is considering building a Disney park there in a city where I can't walk down the main street without countless offers of drugs, prostitution, or knock-off Gucci belts. I don't find a street culture close to this in any of the other world-wide Disney sites.

But now, I don't want to debate the class of Shanghai... Again - does anyone know more about the supposed Disney park that may be built here? If this IS happening, how would this affect HKD? I agree that we don't need another Disney park in this area.
                    ><> just call me n8 <><

Comment

Wow, do I feel silly now... But to my defense..I have never heard of Laughlin NV.

Comment

hmm.. Iknow.. It's a Communist world After All.... (they dont want IASW.. so it would work..)

Or... Stitch Land. where stitch messes up the world and leaves china safe....

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X