Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

the new castle name and fantasyland attractions

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shanghairules
    started a topic the new castle name and fantasyland attractions

the new castle name and fantasyland attractions

hi guys, the new shanghai castle will be called enchanted storybook castle. not fantastic fairytale castle. the castle will also have a princess salon( i think thats what its called) according to disney and more fantasyland will include attractions such as peter pan's flight, seven dwarfs mine coaster and Winnie the pooh.

• SirEdge
    replied
    Re: the new castle name and fantasyland attractions

Love you for your pics/vids as usual Timmy!

I love the tile work in the second video. Hopefully, and I think it will, Shanghai Disney will be as classy as this.

I do express some concern, which I'm pretty sure is already being considered if they're going in this direction.

If the fantasy oriental look is exotic to Europe, will it have the same impact in China? It's not exotic, since it's more commonplace. It could work if it is nostalgic, however, how does one touch on nostalgia without ruffling some political feathers? I guess I'm missing something here.

Leave a comment:

• MarkTwain
    replied

From Wikipedia:

amusement rides such as a merry-go-round and a primitive scenic railway. After dark, coloured lamps illuminated the gardens. On certain evenings, specially designed fireworks could be seen reflected in Tivoli's lake.
    Rendering of Shanghai's Main Street for comparison:

http://dk-reloaded.com/wp-content/up...cept-art-2.jpg
    Last edited by dland_lover; 09-11-2011, 09:38 PM. Reason: Removed hotlinked picture, per MiceChat rules.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Wow. Tivoli Gardens reminds me a lot of what Knotts is today. A quaint little park with modern steel roller coasters ruining all of that.

Leave a comment:

• TimmyTimmyTimmy
    replied

This is one of the many narrow walkways. There is also a view of the entrance to the original "mountain" rollercoaster.

Another random short video of a view in the park.

A narrow street in Tivoli

Some of my pics:
    Tivoli Gardens 2009 | Facebook
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 09-09-2011, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SirEdge
    replied

This all does make sense.

Timmy, do you have pics from Tivoli? I'm sure a lot us would love to see your pics of the place.

Leave a comment:

• TimmyTimmyTimmy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarkTwain
    replied

Originally posted by SirEdge View Post
    Oh yeah, you're right! Well that's interesting!

What I wonder is if it will be themed to what? A medieval setting? I just hope it won't look like a Barbie land, a fear that stems from all this serving all the princesses thing from the castle.
    My bet's on something inspired by Tivoli Gardens.

Tivoli Gardens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Disney has described Shanghai's Main Street replacement as classic, vintage amusement park rides (carousels and Dumbo spinners) among beautiful landscaping, and to me that sounds suspiciously like the premise of Tivoli Gardens. That's also clever because Tivoli was one of the most prominent inspirations for Disneyland, and Tivoli is itself themed around traditional Chinese architecture. Also, Tivoli is famous for its nighttime string lighting on all of its buildings, which would allow Disney to keep that popular element of Main Street in the new area.

Just a hunch, though.

Leave a comment:

• 0ranos
    replied

Originally posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I remember drawing a disneyland-like concept like this when I was in Jr. High, where The Castle would be in the very center of of the park, main street would face the castle, but would have old-fashioned central park like gate and a forest of trees blocking the view, so as to give the illusion that the castle is far off and mysterious. But I digress

Timekeeper
    Digress from what? :P

Leave a comment:

• Timekeeper
    replied

Originally posted by tasman View Post
    ^^^ I guess I was using the term "Main Street" loosely...I used to the term as proxy for a longitudinally oriented, retail heavy, entrance area. While clearly there is no longitudinal street of that nature, there does appear to be a non-longitudinal equivalent. In the pic below I have highlighted the area I am referring to. In fact, the shape of this entrance area strikes me as being very similar to that of Tokyo DisneySea, minus the hotel. As many forumers can attest, the entrance to DisneySea works quite well even without a long entrance street. So I would expect the same for Shanghai DL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13339[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]13340[/ATTACH]
    I remember drawing a disneyland-like concept like this when I was in Jr. High, where The Castle would be in the very center of of the park, main street would face the castle, but would have old-fashioned central park like gate and a forest of trees blocking the view, so as to give the illusion that the castle is far off and mysterious. But I digress.

Timekeeper

Leave a comment:

• 0ranos
    replied

Personally, I'm glad that the Americana Main Street is out. Frankly, we don't need another one, and it's been done to death. It's just as well that the Chinese would have trouble relating to it - this hopefully gives them something more unique.

I think almost every aspect of the Shanghai project is incredibly interesting. So long as we're speculating without basis, I should hope that the replacement area would be proof of the 'uniquely Chinese' mantra that the Disney spokespeople keep throwing around. Whatever it is, so long as it's themed appropriately and 'transports' the guest, I think it'll work fine. Let's remember that that's the real purpose of these areas - to take the guest somewhere entirely, away from the outside world... not necessarily to turn-of-the-century America.

Leave a comment:

• tasman
    replied

Originally posted by SirEdge View Post
    What I wonder is if it will be themed to what? A medieval setting?
    I'm also thinking it will likely be medieval-themed, which would be pretty cool. Then there would be no visual conflict with the Carousel and spinner being located in front of the castle. Medieval theming would also be more meaninful for a Chinese park than turn of the century Americana, since the latter doesn't hold any particular emotional resonance for the local population, the way it does (or did) here in the States.
    Last edited by tasman; 09-01-2011, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

ORGOCH: An' I cain't even begin ta tell ya all the cat fights that's been breakin' out 'tween them Dizzy gals over that very subject! The fur's been flyin' fer months, now. A lot a them prissy princesses ain't speakin' ta one another these days!

Leave a comment:

• harpist1991
    replied

I don't know why they don't have each park contain a princess' castle. Like, Sleeping Beauty castle is in Cali, Cinderella, BATB, and TLM castles in Orlando, why not have Snow White's castle in Paris, Aladdin/Jasmine's castle in Hong Kong, Tiana in Tokyo, and Rapunzel in Shanghai (or something along those lines). Cinderella and Aurora have a couple of castles each now and all the other princesses are splitting one or sharing theirs.

Leave a comment:

• SirEdge
    replied

Oh yeah, you're right! Well that's interesting!

What I wonder is if it will be themed to what? A medieval setting? I just hope it won't look like a Barbie land, a fear that stems from all this serving all the princesses thing from the castle.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X