Announcement

Collapse

POLL: Help decide the future of the forums

Please go to the following link and provide your opinion on how we should proceed in regards to the forum software. https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...um-s-next-step
See more
See less

Trip Planning Advice

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Planning Advice

Who's been to Shanghai Disneyland?
    I'm currently planning my trip now for the end of November. Advice would be great from anyone's who's recently revisited the new park. I'm also looking for any thoughts about the Toy Story hotel there--ie which type of room to get...Garden, Courtyard or Parkview. Any helpful tips would be great.

Now that the Park's open--anyone been and want to share advice? Like getting from airport to hotel or best hotel to stay at? Park strategies, etc.

Comment

Hi GUYNYC. I am also thinking about taking a trip to Shanghai Disneyland. I have not been to the park, but I have studied the park's layout and I have stayed in Shanghai many times, so perhaps I can give you some ideas.

Regarding the hotel: If you want to stay at Toy Story Hotel, choose either inside-facing room (courtyard view) or the side facing Disneyland (Park View). The other sides are essentially looking at empty land and freeways, not pretty.

If this is your first time visiting Shanghai, I would recommend that you stay in a hotel near the city, so you can enjoy the city easier, and you can take subway line 11 to Disneyland Station. The hotel I recommend is Renaissance Hotel Yu Garden (click on the name for hotel info). The reason I recommend it is because it is close to the world famous "The Bund", the "Yu-Yuan Garden", the "Nanjing Road Pedestrian St", and a subway that can take you to virtually all attractions in the city. It sits across the river from Pudong, so you can request a room with a view of Pudong skyscrapers. If you are willing to spend more money, the Ritz Carlton in Pudong or Park Hyatt Hotel in Pudong are both very nice.

Regarding the transportation: There are 2 Int'l airports: If you land in Pudong Int'l Airport, you can take the Maglev to the city then transfer to a cab or a subway to your hotel. The Maglev operates at 430 km/hr during certain time of the day, and 300 km/hr the rest of the day (their website has a schedule) . If you land in Shanghai Hongqiao Airport, it's best to take the cab as it could be tiring to carry your luggage through the subways. Please note that the subways close at 9:30pm, and Disneyland closes at 10:00pm. So if you stay at a hotel away from Disney, you may have to leave the park early or catch a cab at park closing time. You could also stay at a Disney Hotel for 2 nights, and then a hotel in the city the rest of the nights.

Park Strategy: Shanghai can be VERY cold in late November, it occasionally snows. So be sure to wear a jacket and do the water-based rides early in the day. That means going counter-clockwise in the park. You can also utilize fast passes while waiting in line for another ride. Most of the rides are different from those in other Disney parks even though they share the same theme, each ride is worth checking out. I would say the must-ride attractions are Roaring Rapids, Camp Discovery, Pirates of the Carribean, and Tron Light Cycle.

I hope this helps, and I will be more than happy to have more discussions.
      I am the picture guy---A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.

Comment

Just finished a trip, here are some tips. Roaring Rapids and soaring over the horizon have very Long lines if you are not there at opening. They also close early so the lines never die down. From and pirates are 90-120 but die down to almost walk on levels at around 6pm. It is hot but drinks are cheaper at this park than any other Disney I've been to (10 yuan for water 15 for soda) so decide if carrying a ton of liquids is worth it for you. Reports about trash/ public urination/ etc. are highly exaggerated. The park is very clean. The people are pushier than what you may be used to and they like to stand a lot closer than I'm comfortable with but a (not so) gentle reminder will usually get them to leave you alone. Food prices here are very similar to US parks (9~ish for a turkey leg 3~ish for a churro after conversion to $). Some cast members speak English, but are not very fluent. The shows here are really top notch, Pirates and Tarzan are definitely stand outs and are both enjoyable without mandarin. The fireworks show is a bit lacking on fireworks but makes up for it with water dancing and projections. Fast pass is distributed at central hubs at each land rather than at the rides themselves. The fast pass line for adventure isle is a mess with people pushing shoving and yelling, definitely not worth the hassle. Pirates of the carribean does not have fast pass. Tron fast pass is much easier to obtain (and is the better ride imo)

Be aware that ther park is lacking rides. There is a wait times app in the AppStore that is completely in English and there is free wifi throughout the park, though you may need a mobile number to use the free wifi.

edit: just saw you are going in November, I went in the summer when it was hot, so it should be much colder when you go. Everything else still applies.

Comment

Thanks so much for the tips. The trip is booked. I'm going the last week of October. I'm gonna head first to TDR, and hang there for a quick three days (been there many times, so just a quick trip) and then to SDR for three days. It's been a while since I was in Shanghai, but am looking forward to it. Booked at the Toy Story hotel and really looking forward to it. Appreciate you guys taking the time to advise.

Comment

Originally posted by GUYNYC View Post
            Thanks so much for the tips. The trip is booked. I'm going the last week of October. I'm gonna head first to TDR, and hang there for a quick three days (been there many times, so just a quick trip) and then to SDR for three days. It's been a while since I was in Shanghai, but am looking forward to it. Booked at the Toy Story hotel and really looking forward to it. Appreciate you guys taking the time to advise.

How did you end up booking your trip? I am planning to go next March and the website says if you want to book the hotel more than 30 days in advance you need to call/email. Which option did you use?

Comment

I didn't do anything special. I just booked it regularly on the website. And had no issues and no restrictions. And I booked 4 months in advance.

Comment

Are the Single Rider Lines in operation?
                Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Anyone know what the crowds are like? A family member is relatively close to it now and I may be there this fall. Wondering if the high speed train from Beijing would be worth it for him now. Hoping this fall when it's cooler and school is in session it might not be too bad???

Comment

Originally posted by MollaDoodle View Post
                    Anyone know what the crowds are like? A family member is relatively close to it now and I may be there this fall. Wondering if the high speed train from Beijing would be worth it for him now. Hoping this fall when it's cooler and school is in session it might not be too bad???
                    Theme parks in China are usually light on crowds during school days. However, please avoid the following holidays in the fall due to the huge crowd:
                    Sep 10 Teachers' Day
                    Sep 15 Mid-Autumn Festival
                    Sep 16 Mid-Autumn Festival holiday
                    Sep 17 Mid-Autumn Festival holiday
                    Oct 1 - Oct 7 National Day Golden Week holiday
                    I am the picture guy---A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X